• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FK8 vs FL5 interchangeable brake pads?

Loulerg

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R BB #5515
Hello guys!

Went to the dealership yesterday and they quoted me $450 dollars for a set of front brake pads, went online and saw these Akeabonos for the FK8 type R available at a more decent cost, don’t feel like giving the dealership their markup on their parts. Anyone if this would work? Thanks,

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AKEASP1001
Sponsored

OP
OP
Loulerg

Loulerg

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Set of pads installed For 450??
Pads only 😂 also they said they wouldn’t change the pads unless I agreed to replace my rotors, my car just broke 10k miles last month, I believe the full quoted service if I did it with them was close to two G’s lol I inquired out of curiousity since I was there for basic service, I’m cool with my service advisor and he even he told me that’s ridiculous 😂

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TLX Type-S / 2023 Civic Type-R / 2024 HRV EXL
Hello guys!

Went to the dealership yesterday and they quoted me $450 dollars for a set of front brake pads, went online and saw these Akeabonos for the FK8 type R available at a more decent cost, don’t feel like giving the dealership their markup on their parts. Anyone if this would work? Thanks,

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AKEASP1001
Akebono's are a good street pad compared to the OEM pad with virtually zero dust, I have them on my FL5 and they work just fine.... BTW FK8 & FL5 pads are interchangeable:thumbsup:

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R

OP
OP
Loulerg

Loulerg

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect! Thank you all for the input

OP
OP
Loulerg

Loulerg

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea FK8 pads will fit and work on the FL5 with no problem. Just be aware that any ceramic or basic street pad like that won't be as good as the stock pads. But if you are never seeing any track time and just street driving they will be ok and last longer / dust less.

These are the FL5 and later FK8 stock pads made for Honda:
https://www.counterspacegarage.com/ferodo-ds2500-front-brake-pads-honda-civic-type-r-fk8
That’s awesome! I have a set of paragon pads for Autocross days, so the Akeobonos will only see daily / sporadic spirited driving.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Akebono's are a good street pad compared to the OEM pad with virtually zero dust, I have them on my FL5 and they work just fine.... BTW FK8 & FL5 pads are interchangeable:thumbsup:
Glad to hear this! I was looking at swapping my OEMs to Akebono's to cut down on brake dust but I was concerned they would decrease my rotor life and wouldn't bite as well for daily driving.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
Pads only 😂 also they said they wouldn’t change the pads unless I agreed to replace my rotors, my car just broke 10k miles last month, I believe the full quoted service if I did it with them was close to two G’s lol I inquired out of curiousity since I was there for basic service, I’m cool with my service advisor and he even he told me that’s ridiculous 😂
A lot of dealers seem to say that, they will only replace the rotors and pads together. This is from the FK8 service manual, but I'm sure the FL5 is the same: You are supposed to measure the thickness of the rotor at 8 points and if any of them are below 30mm, then you should change the rotor. It starts out at 32mm.

When I measured my rotor when changing out the first set of pads, the rotor was at 31mm. So I'm guessing it should last roughly 2 brake pad sets. This wear includes a 2 day track event.

I don't know why the dealerships don't just do what the factory specifies, but maybe it's a liability or possibly revenue thing.
Sponsored