• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Removing shifter cable bushing upgrade

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
When I did it I couldn’t budge those C clips so just skipped that part.
I wondered if it was possible to install these bushings without removing the C clips (I saw one video where they did it without removing the clips). Good to know, thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
I wondered if it was possible to install these bushings without removing the C clips (I saw one video where they did it without removing the clips). Good to know, thanks!
It is possible, you just don't have a lot of maneuverability of the cable ends, so it's a little tighter fit to get your hands in. I ended up pushing them in with an adjustable angle head pipe-wrench pliers.

sdj544

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
It is possible, you just don't have a lot of maneuverability of the cable ends, so it's a little tighter fit to get your hands in. I ended up pushing them in with an adjustable angle head pipe-wrench pliers.
I found the larger/far one was easy to do without removing the c-clip.
The smaller/closer one I tried to do the same but couldn’t get it back on with the new bushings. Fortunately it wasn’t that hard to remove just that one.
-S

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
It is sometimes possible but not advisable. The small bushing does not like to go on at an angle and can get gouged doing so. Additionally, not disconnecting the cables from the bracket makes it easier to over-extend the swivel joint in the cable near the bracket which can cause permanent damage to the cable (if you cause the damage to the cable, you will notice that all even gears feel "mushy"). While damaging cables is rare, it is possible, and not removing those clips makes your odds worse.

~russ

bmaf55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Did you guys remove the battery or anything for that matter to get at these bushings?? It looks real tight in there.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Yes, Acuity has remove the battery in the install instructions.
If you don't want to do that, follow Boomba's instructions for their trans adapters.

You'll be removing more things however. I preferred Acuity's way of doing it for both products.

bmaf55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Yes, Acuity has remove the battery in the install instructions.
If you don't want to do that, follow Boomba's instructions for their trans adapters.

You'll be removing more things however. I preferred Acuity's way of doing it for both products.
Thanks. I think I’d rather just remove the battery.
Sponsored