• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Road trip in the FL5, GR Corolla and M140i

Shingo Shoji

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 - Championship White
Just got back from my first proper road trip in the FL5 with friends in their GR Corolla and M140i. We covered over 600km (372 miles) over the weekend through Australia's Snowy Mountains and Snowy Valley. In a country of terrible roads, these were some of the best I've experienced. There was actually smooth asphalt in some sections!

11th Gen Honda Civic Road trip in the FL5, GR Corolla and M140i IMG_5170

The FL5 performed really well and it was so good to use it as it was intended to be. It was the hardest I've pushed it and showed no signs of overheating and it felt glued to the ground. The brakes are immense. No fade and consistently strong through the drive. Handling and feeling of being connected to the car was sublime. The best compliment I can give the FL5 was that when I was driving the other two cars, I had fun but really just wanted to get back in my car.

11th Gen Honda Civic Road trip in the FL5, GR Corolla and M140i 3db3e751-45c6-4e79-b412-eb6786941543

The Corolla was really fun. It has a great exhaust note, rides better than the FL5 and the AWD system is great but the driving position is way too high and the performance is a bit boosty. It's still a sweet engine through, but I feel like they just haven't made it special enough for me. I still loved it though.

The M140i with the optional Msport exhause sounded by far the best, has an incredible engine but was a bit wafty through tighter corners and I prefer an engine that likes to rev. It had Bilstein shocks and they really are great. I felt it handled the smaller bumps better than the other two. Each is suited best to different tasks. On the freeway to the mountains, you want the M140i. On the unsealed roads we came across, you want the GR Corolla. In the mountains, in the corners and everywhere else you want the FL5.

11th Gen Honda Civic Road trip in the FL5, GR Corolla and M140i b9b1e4fb-6a8b-4e0e-b77c-85e5accd9620 (1)

On smooth roads I have no criticisms of the FL5 at all. On rougher, coarse chipseal roads the tyre roar and rattling was annoying but not a deal breaker. I feel like it just needs a softer comfort mode to deal with rough vibrations better. It's not that it's too hard for me, it's more just rougher roads send those vibrations straight into the dash. Pretty sure I want to give the Integra Type S ADS swap a go to see if it might be suited more to Australia's terrible roads.

11th Gen Honda Civic Road trip in the FL5, GR Corolla and M140i 52da4f26-56b3-4e8a-ae8c-9b2538cb2f20

Looking forward to the next road trip which hopefully will include a track day.

11th Gen Honda Civic Road trip in the FL5, GR Corolla and M140i IMG_5179
Sponsored

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Impreza Sport
Nice! I had a deposit down on a Blue Flame GRC, but just couldn't pass on the CTR. The GRC probably would have been great, but there are some shortcomings with it, as well as a potentially weak clutch. The driving position in the GRC can be fixed with a seat lowering kit. A company overseas makes it. Glad you had fun and found the CTR to be a great road trip ride.

OP
OP
Shingo Shoji

Shingo Shoji

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 - Championship White
Nice! I had a deposit down on a Blue Flame GRC, but just couldn't pass on the CTR. The GRC probably would have been great, but there are some shortcomings with it, as well as a potentially weak clutch. The driving position in the GRC can be fixed with a seat lowering kit. A company overseas makes it. Glad you had fun and found the CTR to be a great road trip ride.
I agree. The CRC is an amazing car. If the CTR didn’t exist it would be my choice. I really liked the character of the engine too. For me though the FL5 is just way more focussed. We all agreed it felt the most like a race car. All three of these cars are epic though. All manual too.
Sponsored