• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The definition of insanity

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
So, I saw a 2022 EX-L hatch listed online that had a ridiculous markup on it. They were pricing it at more than $10,000 over sticker. I chuckled to myself that no one would buy it. Well here's a screenshot of that very listing today...

11th Gen Honda Civic The definition of insanity Screenshot_20211207-174001-205

Yep. Some sucker bought it.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
Yeah. I thought getting 25.2k for my 4 year old, 41k mile Si was insane. I’d love to know what they’re going to try to sell it for… 28k? 30k? They’ve got to turn a profit on it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
Yeah. I contemplated getting back in one of a couple old cars I wanted and was looking last night. The last thing I need is another 20+ year old car at the moment. Sure want one though. Things that should be $2500-5000 are generally $5k-10k so fun throw-away cars are kind of hard to come by.

I have managed to convince my wife to let me stick to older cars in the future so I can keep up my swapping. At 4 years, I owned the GenX longer than the 3 previous cars before it… none of those made it to 4. Gen 9 Si… Caddy DHS, RSX type S. All only made it about 3 years each. Still have to scratch an Audi/Volks itch eventually and have one once. Wouldn’t mind a Caddy again if I could find one that seems good. Maybe a 3 or 5 series Bimmer if I can find one for cheap enough that inspects well… though I expect it’ll give me some heartache. Other than a Caddy… all makes I’ve wanted to have and never had yet… but have test driven or ridden in that impressed me. The RSX was 8k. The Caddy 6k. None of my Z cars have ever exceeded 8k. Most of the 5 were well less. They were $1k, 1.3k, 4.5k, 7.5k, and 8k thinking back. All great, fun cars. I do like some of the new-car bells and whistles but going and buying old cars and keeping then for short spells I think has more appeal after back-to-back new Civics.

I do think she going to get herself something new in 2-4 years. That’d put the Odyssey at 10-12 years and probably 150-175k. I don’t think I’m allowed to do the timing belt again to push past 200k ?

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
I saw a nice '22 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring locally. Called the dealer who quoted me MSRP + $3900. I'll pass.

My '16 Civic Coupe Touring is working just fine (although it's now worth almost what I paid for it 5.5 years ago!)

PS - I bought my 2018 CPO BMW 330i just before the Covid storm hit. Prices were really low, and I picked it up for $28K. My how things have changed!

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the key... selling. There's no advantage to trading your car in right now. They'll offer you a bigger than normal trade in value and just jack up the new car price to get their normal profit margin back.
The problem with selling a car yourself versus a trade is that, at least in Pennsylvania, you get killed with the 6% sales tax. If you trade, you only pay sales tax on the new car price - the trade in value. My trade would be worth about $20K, or an additional $1200 in sales tax.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
The problem with selling a car yourself versus a trade is that, at least in Pennsylvania, you get killed with the 6% sales tax. If you trade, you only pay sales tax on the new car price - the trade in value. My trade would be worth about $20K, or an additional $1200 in sales tax.
I'm confused. By selling I'm saying (for example) you sell your car to CarMax or a dealer outright. They cut you a check for X amount of dollars. How is there sales tax when you aren't buying anything?? I can understand some sort of capital gains tax if you're selling it for more than you paid, but sales tax?

Last edited:

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@gtman - when I sell a care outside of a trade deal, the buyer pays 100% of the sales tax.

If I buy a new car without a trade, I pay 6% sales tax on the total sale price. If I buy a new (or used) car with a trade, I only pay sales tax on the difference between purchase and trade. To me, it's a perfect example of the auto dealer lobby messing with the tax code to advantage themselves.

JimmEEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mz3
Yep. Some sucker bought it.
Hmmmm... :hmm:
Do we actually know whether whoever bought it actually paid that entire $10k+ dealer markup?

Maybe it was an opening tactic by the dealer so that buying it for only, say, $5k over MSRP would seem like a screaming deal.
Sponsored