• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Track capable brake fluid and dealer

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Wanted to have my dealer put dot4 srf fluid on but they said they will not do it. Anyone had this happen? I talked to the scheduler and she said they won’t do it because warranty and insurance. Never had a problem on other brands, dealers were more than happy to upgrade brake fluid, pads, ss lines.

I have a feeling my local dealer is going to be a huge pain to work with if I ever need to
Sponsored

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Some dealerships have their preferences. I suggest you find another dealership. Unless you're in a rural part of the country the next closest Honda dealership can't be that far away.

OP
OP
MooMoo

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Yeah not a lot of dealers around here, next closest is like 45 minutes but do have like 3 or 4 45 minutes away. I think I might just do the flush myself

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
If you're just flushing the fluid, then just take care of it yourself. It's a pretty straight forward process. May just need to buy some tools, which you'll definitely use more than once!

OP
OP
MooMoo

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
If you're just flushing the fluid, then just take care of it yourself. It's a pretty straight forward process. May just need to buy some tools, which you'll definitely use more than once!
Yeah I think I will just do it. I just bought a pressure bleeder since I only have done it the 2 person method on my other car, I think its time to get a pressure bleeder and learn how to do it since I will have to do it every year for track season.

just so weird to me that the dealer did not want the work, never had an issue on my last car at the dealer (m2 competition) but I bet they probably see more people ask for this than at this honda dealer. I do bet Klark Kent is right, at a bigger dealer they probably do it.

I also need to do pads so will be a fun day

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've got an air compressor so I use an air bleeder. Makes it pretty painless. Even a small pancake compressor can be had for fairly cheap, and is more than enough to get the job done.

OP
OP
MooMoo

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I've got an air compressor so I use an air bleeder. Makes it pretty painless. Even a small pancake compressor can be had for fairly cheap, and is more than enough to get the job done.
I just got a motive bleeder lookalike which seems like when it works its wonderful but when you get a bad one can be a disaster so we will see. Just avoiding buying too many extra things

OP
OP
MooMoo

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
@PointByPatrol did you do the parking break 5x then re bleed the rear calipers? The service manual is reads kind of weird. It seems like you only have to do that if you installed new lines or calipers or introduced air to the system. But I have seen some videos where some people do it and some that they don't do it

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
@PointByPatrol did you do the parking break 5x then re bleed the rear calipers? The service manual is reads kind of weird. It seems like you only have to do that if you installed new lines or calipers or introduced air to the system. But I have seen some videos where some people do it and some that they don't do it
I had to do it when I swapped my brake lines, but my feeling on the subject is that if you're just bleeding in fresh fluid (not introducing any air) then you can just do a standard bleed.

OP
OP
MooMoo

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I had to do it when I swapped my brake lines, but my feeling on the subject is that if you're just bleeding in fresh fluid (not introducing any air) then you can just do a standard bleed.
Thank you for the reply. Yeah I feel the same way, will probably just do the parking brake 5x and see how it feels, if it feels fine will probably not re-bleed the rears otherwise, it is easy enough and they should be pretty bubble free by then anyways.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thank you for the reply. Yeah I feel the same way, will probably just do the parking brake 5x and see how it feels, if it feels fine will probably not re-bleed the rears otherwise, it is easy enough and they should be pretty bubble free by then anyways.
You want that pedal firm! Don't stop till it is!

OP
OP
MooMoo

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
You want that pedal firm! Don't stop till it is!
will do, I am very picky about pedal feel. Hopefully will go well and will only require 1 bleed, not doing the lines so if I am able to not introduce any air into the system should be pretty straight forward. About how much fluid should I expect per caliper to be fully flushed? car has 500 miles so fluid color is going to be pretty clear.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I use the entire bottle of Castrol SRF. I spend a little more time in the rears since the lines are so long. The fronts go by relatively quick. Silly idea, as I have no clue if this would have a bad interaction, but has anyone ever tried food dye?

OP
OP
MooMoo

MooMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I use the entire bottle of Castrol SRF. I spend a little more time in the rears since the lines are so long. The fronts go by relatively quick. Silly idea, as I have no clue if this would have a bad interaction, but has anyone ever tried food dye?
It would be a good new product idea to be introduced if it already does not exist.

I bought 2 srf bottles just in case so I will overdo it

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It would be a good new product idea to be introduced if it already does not exist.

I bought 2 srf bottles just in case so I will overdo it
Bleeding the shit out of it isn't going to hurt anything. If you run two bottles through them you can be 200% sure that none of the factory fluid is left!
Sponsored