• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bpebler

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ram, 20 Durango, 00 Cherokee, 99 Trans Am
I used the Touring Civic 6spd part but I had to make a custom harness for it since the FL5 doesnā€™t have the plug in location like the Touring version doesā€¦
You have to find basically the following.

USB-
USB+
Ground
Positive
Illumination+

was a PITA and I have been making the harness to allow this to work for 2 weeks.

IMG_5933.jpeg

IMG_5932.jpeg

IMG_5931.jpeg

IMG_5934.jpeg
Hmmmā€¦I wonder if you can patent this & have a company produce it for you (ahem us, cough cough) šŸ˜

Bpebler

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are panel filters from at least four companies I am aware for the FL5: Spoon Sports, Sprint Filter, K&N, and PRL. Sprint is the only manufacturer at this time selling multiple filter types. They have the P08, P037, and the P08 F1-85. The filter you are likely referring to is the P08 F15-85 which retails for >$300. According to the Sprint Filter website, "To clean your Sprint Filter P08F1-85, simply remove the filter from the airbox, blow it clean with compressed air, and reinsert it."
Clark, thanks for always being such a good resource. Do you happen to know who to order these filters through? I canā€™t seem to find it on their site. Iā€™m guessing since theyā€™re in Latvia that thereā€™s other outlets to order through, but Iā€™m unfamiliar where to go. Iā€™ve spent too many years aware from foreign cars that now I get to relearn everything. Ahh, the bittersweet feeling.

Bpebler

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Clark, thanks for always being such a good resource. Do you happen to know who to order these filters through? I canā€™t seem to find it on their site. Iā€™m guessing since theyā€™re in Latvia that thereā€™s other outlets to order through, but Iā€™m unfamiliar where to go. Iā€™ve spent too many years aware from foreign cars that now I get to relearn everything. Ahh, the bittersweet feeling.
On the Sprint Filter website you can find a list of dealers and distributors in the United States. Earlier this year I called them all and some exclusively carry or have the ability (or willingness) to order only motorcycle filters. The two dealers/distributors I found for automotive filters are:

1. Madness Autoworks
https://madnessautoworks.com/
2. Driving Impressions Inc.
https://www.teamdi.com/

I ordered from Madness Autoworks in February and the filter arrived a few weeks ago. I decided to go in a different direction and ended up selling it to another forum member. I mention this because they would not take the filter back as the filter is considered a special order item. The bottom line, if you order a Sprint Filter from Madness Autoworks, just make sure you want it because they won't take it back.

Bpebler

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the Sprint Filter website you can find a list of dealers and distributors in the United States. Earlier this year I called them all and some exclusively carry or have the ability (or willingness) to order only motorcycle filters. The two dealers/distributors I found for automotive filters are:

1. Madness Autoworks
https://madnessautoworks.com/
2. Driving Impressions Inc.
https://www.teamdi.com/

I ordered from Madness Autoworks in February and the filter arrived a few weeks ago. I decided to go in a different direction and ended up selling it to another forum member. I mention this because they would not take the filter back as the filter is considered a special order item. The bottom line, if you order a Sprint Filter from Madness Autoworks, just make sure you want it because they won't take it back.
Thank you!! Still deciding on this or something like PRL. Which route you go with?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Thank you!! Still deciding on this or something like PRL. Which route you go with?
I went with the Spoon Air Cleaner. I realize itā€™s manufactured by Sprint Filter and for all practical purposes it appears to be the same filter as the P08; however, it wasnā€™t clear when the Sprint Filter would be back in stock. I had an order in process with another vendor so I just had them add the Spoon Air Cleaner. I got it for a decent price, it's Spoon, and I'm impatient so it made sense for me.

Bpebler

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with the Spoon Air Cleaner. I realize itā€™s manufactured by Sprint Filter and for all practical purposes it appears to be the same filter as the P08; however, it wasnā€™t clear when the Sprint Filter would be back in stock. I had an order in process with another vendor so I just had them add the Spoon Air Cleaner. I got it for a decent price, it's Spoon, and I'm impatient so it made sense for me.
Any opinions on using these HP filters vs other products like PRL/27won full replacements?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Any opinions on using these HP filters vs other products like PRL/27won full replacements?
At this time, I'm taking a measured approach to modifying my FL5. The scope of the modifications is OEM/OEM+. I'm also not interested in anything too invasive. Unlike other vehicle I've owned, I have no intention of throwing every modification under the sun at this car. That could change, but for now that's how I'm thinking about it and approaching it. With that said, the panel/drop-in filter, and specifically the Spoon branded product, allows me to operate within that box. It's a relatively low cost item, installs in minutes, provides some performance, and adds to the driver experience.

I'm certain the full replacement air intakes will be fantastic products, just not something I'm interested in at this time. There's clearly a market for those as they were a hit with the FK8. I expect a rush of review videos and posts will hit the internet once they are available.

Last edited:

Bpebler

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this time, I'm taking a measured approach to modifying my FL5. The scope of the modifications is OEM/OEM+. I'm also not interested in anything too invasive. Unlike other vehicle I've owned, I have no intention of throwing every modification under the sun at this car. That could change, but for now that's how I'm thinking about it and approaching it. With that said, the panel/drop-in filter, and specifically the Spoon branded product, allows me to operate within that box. It's a relatively low cost item, installs in minutes, provides some performance, and adds to the driver experience.

I'm certain the full replacement air intakes will be fantastic products, just not something I'm interested in at this time. There's clearly a market for those as they were a hit with the FK8. I expect a rush of review videos and posts will hit the internet once they are available.
Some great points. I really donā€™t want to get to crazy this time either, at least at first. Perhaps Iā€™ll go the minimal extras route with MAYBE a light tune for now.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Ordered the Dream Autoworks Pipercross intake - it's cheap ($433 shipped from UK) and with its open design should make fun sounds. I'm just looking for a noisemaker here, it probably loses power from heat soak IRL. All the other ones seem to still be in testing/proto stage and will be 2-4x more, I like CF as much as the next guy but for what I want I think this should work nicely. I'll post about it of course once I get & install it.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Ordered the Dream Autoworks Pipercross intake - it's cheap ($433 shipped from UK) and with its open design should make fun sounds. I'm just looking for a noisemaker here, it probably loses power from heat soak IRL. All the other ones seem to still be in testing/proto stage and will be 2-4x more, I like CF as much as the next guy but for what I want I think this should work nicely. I'll post about it of course once I get & install it.
The Pipercross system is certainly interesting. I was intrigued initially and asked Dream Automotive for evidence about the claimed HP gains, but never received a reply. The Pipercross website states that no product is released until benchmark tests are conducted, yet no data are offered there either. Foam filters are generally best for dusty conditions, but may not be any better than other types for normal use, and in some situations less efficient. Here's a link that I found informative. https://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning/performance-car-air-filter-test/

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Not familar with that filter but $433 for an intake is starting to get up there! Anyhow, let us know your thoughts once you get it.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Not familar with that filter but $433 for an intake is starting to get up there! Anyhow, let us know your thoughts once you get it.
Based on FK8 intakes - expect most competitors to be $1-2k. Look at the $2-300 filters folks are buying! The design means it *should *be louder (and worse performing) than the pricey ones with cf airboxes.
Sponsored