• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

why are mugen and spoon parts so expensive?

Skrish78

First Name
Shank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5
FL5 Spoon exhaust with front pipe- 4200 USD. Whats so special about Mugen and Spoon?
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Both are legendary Japanese companies that have been around a very long time, especially Mugen. When you buy Mugen or Spoon, you’re getting pretty much the best parts for Japanese performance cars. For the JDM heads, it’s the stuff to get. It’s kind of similar to Rousch for Ford, if that makes sense. To some there’s no substitute…and it comes with a price.

OP
OP
Skrish78

Skrish78

First Name
Shank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5
Both are legendary Japanese companies that have been around a very long time, especially Mugen. When you buy Mugen or Spoon, you’re getting pretty much the best parts for Japanese performance cars. For the JDM heads, it’s the stuff to get. It’s kind of similar to Rousch for Ford, if that makes sense. To some there’s no substitute…and it comes with a price.
Whats your opinion about Apexi exhaust for FL5 ?

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Nothing, because there are not alot of companies, making the same things,they can get away with charging whatever they want.

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
FL5 Spoon exhaust with front pipe- 4200 USD. Whats so special about Mugen and Spoon?
Multiple factors.

One is quality. Mugen's close relationship with Honda gives it access to all the OEM technical information and resources, such as suppliers. In my experience it makes the only aftermarket parts capable of matching OEM quality, fit and finish, etc.

Spoon's quality isn't quite as good, and a lot of the parts they sell are just rebranded. Like their air filters, which are rebranded Sprint. In those instances it makes sense to buy from the original manufacturer. The parts that are custom however, tend to be quite well researched, and perform really well.

Another big factor is brand recognition. People are willing to pay for that.

OP
OP
Skrish78

Skrish78

First Name
Shank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5
Multiple factors.

One is quality. Mugen's close relationship with Honda gives it access to all the OEM technical information and resources, such as suppliers. In my experience it makes the only aftermarket parts capable of matching OEM quality, fit and finish, etc.

Spoon's quality isn't quite as good, and a lot of the parts they sell are just rebranded. Like their air filters, which are rebranded Sprint. In those instances it makes sense to buy from the original manufacturer.

Another big factor is brand recognition. People are willing to pay, so they charge a lot.
Spoon FL5 exhaust with front pipe-4,200 USD
Wondering whats gonna be Mugen’s single exit exhaust for FL5

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
I can't speak for Mugen as I'm more of a Spoon-head myself. I've had numerous Spoon parts on my DC2 years ago and plan to add a few to the FL5. I've ordered the springs, rigid collars, and have the SW388 wheels.

They aren't made for the absolute min/max, straight-line dragstrip guys, they are made for those that either want to road race/autocross or want an OEM+ setup.

Their quality and attention-to-detail is typically on part with OEM. I can't think of a time I ever owned a Spoon part that didn't fit correctly or had flaws whereas it's much more commonplace for a "lesser" brand to have those issues.

As for price, it's largely because of the brand name but also the fact that it's imported from Japan and most of their stuff isn't mass-produced. But mostly, it's the name.

AshSerigala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11-Gen Honda Civic Hatchback Sport-Touring
I'm new to the car scene and aftermarket modding etc but I gather a chunk of it is for the name. Never really been much a believer in the whole 'been around for ages so paying for experience' as plenty times you can find far cheaper alternatives that outlast the life of the car as well. Just depends on the item. Like exhaust for example, I dont see the 1000-2000+ dollars of quality jump. Definitely not much difference in sound quality. Maybe if it was titanium exhaust, sure. But they're just pulling profits on their name slapped onto it.

Brakes? Yes I'm sure they function/last better than cheaper brands. I'd pay up for brakes due to the fact thats like, a major safety feature of a car xD

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Brand recognition. Years ago I heard that Rolex $10k timepieces were worse at keeping time accurately than a $60 Seiko. I'm not implying Mugen or Spoon parts are worse than other companies but certainly not 4X better in performance.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, it is indeed mostly the brand and if you MUST have JDM parts. Otherwise, there are other highly competent parts makers around for less $.

nawfoo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Si
Made in Japan. Part of the Best Motoring community.

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
Spoons come a long ways. Back in 1999, the performance shop owner offered to drop a spoon engine into my 1998 DX Hatch for $10k. One of my greatest regrets.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Buy enough aftermarket parts and you’ll see that only a few brands fit like OEM. Mugen and Spoon parts fit like OEM. It also helps that some are actually “remade” or “reinforced” OEM parts. They can charge a lot not only because they can.