• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why is 11th gen slower than 10th gen?

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
That’s what some tuners are already theorizing. However, the CVT was never the problem with tuning non-si 10th gens anyway. The CVT always handled the power.
Not true, there are plenty of people who's CVT started slipping with added power. A GOOD tune that keeps the torque curve under control can make big power on a CVT but you can definitely kill your CVT if you don't know what you're doing.

Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Actually, and I have the data to back it up, tuned CVTs overall have held up well. Most of the few failures have come from abuse like brake launching or going with a high power flex fuel tune that outputs too much torque down low.

My CVT turbo has been tuned for nearly 4 years. Currently running the about 225whp 265wtq.

Duckky

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Actually, and I have the data to back it up, tuned CVTs overall have held up well. Most of the few failures have come from abuse like brake launching or going with a high power flex fuel tune that outputs too much torque down low.

My CVT turbo has been tuned for nearly 4 years. Currently running the about 225whp 265wtq.
225hp is nothing tbh

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
225hp is nothing tbh
It's the torque actually and I have seen 5.5 to 60 on a good day. I don't have any complaints.

I wasn't trying to create a racecar. But 225whp/265wtq moves a 2900 lb. car with ease. And with the CVT, I don't feel comfortable bumping up power much more.

Also keep in mind that wheel horsepower is different then factory (crank) horsepower. The 11th is rated at 182 at the crank. Mine is more like 250 hp at the crank. That's a big difference (about 40% more) and the torque delta is even higher.

If you want to learn more about 10th gen tuning, check out my tuning experience/reliability thread over at CivicX.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ience-reliability-thread-for-all-models.42361

Last edited:

Duckky

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
It's the torque actually and I have seen 5.5 to 60 on a good day. I don't have any complaints.

I wasn't trying to create a racecar. But 225whp/265wtq moves a 2900 lb. car with ease. And with the CVT, I don't feel comfortable bumping up power much more.

Also keep in mind that wheel horsepower is different then factory (crank) horsepower. The 11th is rated at 182 at the crank. Mine is more like 250 hp at the crank. That's a big difference (about 40% more) and the torque delta is even higher.

If you want to learn more about 10th gen tuning, check out my tuning experience/reliability thread over at CivicX.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ience-reliability-thread-for-all-models.42361
Oh ok, thanks for the info, but if torque is the problem for these cars shouldn't the hp be more instead if the torque?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Oh ok, thanks for the info, but if torque is the problem for these cars shouldn't the hp be more instead if the torque?
HP= torque × rpm ÷ 5252. Peak torque can be high but if it drops off like a rock higher in the rpms, your resulting hp will be low

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never said said torque was a problem. After all, these are turbos. Turbos are torquey. I was just pointing out the fact that generally speaking, acceleration has more to do with low/mid rpm torque than high rpm peak horsepower.

With a tune, these 11ths gens will be reasonably quick.

Last edited:

Duckky

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
I never said said torque was a problem. After all, these are turbos. Turbos are torquey. I was just pointing out the fact that generally speaking, acceleration has more to do with low/mid rpm torque than high rpm peak horsepower.

With a tune, these 11ths gens will be reasonably quick.
Huh? In hearing TORQUE is the main problem for these cvts, that they can't handle anything above 270 TORQUE

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Yeah but if it wasn't a problem why wouldn't you want more?
If it wasn’t an issue I guess yeah throw it in but at the end of the day I’m not going to expect a full on race car engine out of a detuned accord engine with a turbo made for max efficiency and so on.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but if it wasn't a problem why wouldn't you want more?
This isn't a thread about tuning for ultimate power or how much torque a CVT can handle. It's simply a discussion on the 11th 1.5T models being a little slower than the 10th.

If your personal goal is to turn your 11th into a track or dragstrip monster and how to go about it, that's a totally different subject, and no, you wouldnt want a CVT to do that.

And frankly, if all you want is actual big power, this is the wrong car anyway.

These are economy cars and for the combo of mpgs, handling and performance, they are pretty damn good.

And last but not least and I hope this gets through. When I mentioned my tuned turbo CVT had 225whp you said that was not a lot. To which I replied "it's the torque". You seem to think I was saying torque was the "problem". I was actually saying the opposite. 265wtq is a great thing and makes commutes fun.

Anyway... I'm out.

Last edited: