Sponsored

Coolant Temp Help

OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

Member
First Name
NewCivicRs
Joined
Mar 24, 2020
Threads
2
Messages
48
Reaction score
7
Location
Indonesia
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
You could buy a CVT cooler, but from your posts I don't think you have high temps and everything is in the normal range.
After an hour of spirited driving on canyon hill with high boost mode, if I dont pull over, the CVT temp will continue to increase to 118 C and possibly 120 C up but I never try it and pull over right away to have some rest.
How high is too high or 120 C is fine?

Btw thanks for your insight.
 

chopsuey34

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2022
Threads
18
Messages
314
Reaction score
233
Location
West Michigan
Vehicle(s)
ex-Meta, ex-AWS, ex-2025 Honda Civic Si


OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

Member
First Name
NewCivicRs
Joined
Mar 24, 2020
Threads
2
Messages
48
Reaction score
7
Location
Indonesia
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
No your CVT is going to blow up tomorrow 🫣
You wanna see when it's blowing up? I'll take pictures 😭 I was having fun meanwhile my 235/40/18 Michelin PS5 front tires keep spinning when I take over cars in front.
 

chopsuey34

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2022
Threads
18
Messages
314
Reaction score
233
Location
West Michigan
Vehicle(s)
ex-Meta, ex-AWS, ex-2025 Honda Civic Si
Yes a hatch L15B7 CVT with TSP Stage 1 Non Si tune.
3 inch catless downpipe
3 inch frontpipe
HKS exhaust
Intercooler upgrade
93 octane.
No track purpose, only spirited driving + normal driving around city with tropical and humid ambient 32C.
Since car brand new until now I am using Amsoil SS 0W20 but now I am concerned about it although everything is normal.
Based on your use case, you shouldn't even be looking at engine or CVT temps because your aren't going to run the car hot enough. I recommend hiding any temperature sensor read out in your KTuner because they will only make you unnecessarily worried. This is a Honda, not some rocket ship.

Brake launching your CVT will cause way more damage than operating temperatures during normal operation. Go read the Tuned Reliability threads here and on CivicX.
 

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
982
Reaction score
758
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
Based on your use case, you shouldn't even be looking at engine or CVT temps because your aren't going to run the car hot enough. I recommend hiding any temperature sensor read out in your KTuner because they will only make you unnecessarily worried. This is a Honda, not some rocket ship.

Brake launching your CVT will cause way more damage than operating temperatures during normal operation. Go read the Tuned Reliability threads here and on CivicX.
I remember a post on the 11th gen forum from a guy who said that shifting from one gear to another (on an auto) too rapidly did more damage than anything else. Can't find his post, but it was a pretty convincing one.

If it helps at all OP, I had a 2.0NA sport with a CVT that was tuned to around ~186whp and I never had slippage or problems. The sport CVTs aren't even rated for more than ~200whp, so the fact I got that close and never had problems should be reassurance. The 1.5T CVT is rated at ~260whp, but people have pushed them well into the 300s with mixed results.

Temp is the least of your worries, just don't brake launch like @chopsuey34 said, and don't treat the transmission like a slide puzzle.
 
OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

Member
First Name
NewCivicRs
Joined
Mar 24, 2020
Threads
2
Messages
48
Reaction score
7
Location
Indonesia
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
I remember a post on the 11th gen forum from a guy who said that shifting from one gear to another (on an auto) too rapidly did more damage than anything else. Can't find his post, but it was a pretty convincing one.

If it helps at all OP, I had a 2.0NA sport with a CVT that was tuned to around ~186whp and I never had slippage or problems. The sport CVTs aren't even rated for more than ~200whp, so the fact I got that close and never had problems should be reassurance. The 1.5T CVT is rated at ~260whp, but people have pushed them well into the 300s with mixed results.

Temp is the least of your worries, just don't brake launch like @chopsuey34 said, and don't treat the transmission like a slide puzzle.
Could you explain about shifting too rapidly?
 


Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
982
Reaction score
758
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
Could you explain about shifting too rapidly?
Like reversing, then while the car is still rolling, going into drive. And yes, the temp is fine, you would know immediately if the CVT is being damaged or not performing properly.
 
OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

Member
First Name
NewCivicRs
Joined
Mar 24, 2020
Threads
2
Messages
48
Reaction score
7
Location
Indonesia
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Like reversing, then while the car is still rolling, going into drive. And yes, the temp is fine, you would know immediately if the CVT is being damaged or not performing properly.
I see, I never do that nor brake launching. I just do a precautionary. If I notice my CVT is not performing properly, it was too late, isn't it?
 
OP
OP
NewCivicRs

NewCivicRs

Member
First Name
NewCivicRs
Joined
Mar 24, 2020
Threads
2
Messages
48
Reaction score
7
Location
Indonesia
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Based on your use case, you shouldn't even be looking at engine or CVT temps because your aren't going to run the car hot enough. I recommend hiding any temperature sensor read out in your KTuner because they will only make you unnecessarily worried. This is a Honda, not some rocket ship.

Brake launching your CVT will cause way more damage than operating temperatures during normal operation. Go read the Tuned Reliability threads here and on CivicX.
So do you think in my case (CVT temp over 115 C / 240 F on mountain road) is fine and no need to worry? Not hot enough?
Sponsored

 
 







Top