• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP
TigerEyeJazz

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
One thing to note that made me laugh a little bit when I posted this at 3:00 am EST was that Honda teases the CTR first compared to the Si… kinda makes me feel like the Si is going to just be the exact same as 10th Gen. it’s like they said “here are two photos of the CTR” and called it a day. It could also mean that the Si might not have a big reveal day like the past models. Just might be looking to deep into it but I’m sure some of you also noticed that as well.
Sponsored

sgtiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 FK8R, '01 Viper GTS, '72 Datsun 510, '97 EK20R
First, I really wanted to see pictures side by side of each generation:

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R Official Teaser From Honda!! "Ready for Nurburgring Testing." 1633362765457

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R Official Teaser From Honda!! "Ready for Nurburgring Testing." 1633362780903

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R Official Teaser From Honda!! "Ready for Nurburgring Testing." 1633362816358

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R Official Teaser From Honda!! "Ready for Nurburgring Testing." 1633362806753

As the owner of a '21 FK8-R, I think the difference in styling is a little overblown. They both look like more aggressive versions of a stock Civic. I can see the granular changes, but I don't think they are "completely different" cars. To the average person, I think both cars probably look pretty radical. We are talking about gradations, where the small changes now have the loudest voices in this community.

I often see this in the watch/timepiece community, where small changes are otherwise considered "completely different". The average person would have a tough time really seeing the difference. They see a Honda Civic with a big wing, big exhaust, and big wheels.

Here's a good example: Omega Aqua Terra Skyfall vs. the revision:

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R Official Teaser From Honda!! "Ready for Nurburgring Testing." 1633363320647

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R Official Teaser From Honda!! "Ready for Nurburgring Testing." 1633363361316

Some people say these are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT watches. And I suppose they are. The date window bordering, the text on the dial, the bracelet possibly. Or... are they just a little bit different?

"The little exhaust pipe is in the MIDDLE of the two big ones on the FK8!" Completely different?

Overall I think some of the refinements and gradation (key words here) are welcome and hopefully improve performance. If the car laps the 'ring a few seconds faster, that has zero impact on our enjoyment of either generation, and I suspect will have little impact on the overall value. Like the watch community, the little changes are so polarizing that in 20 years, people will seek out the exact version they want on Bring A Trailer. Just look at the Viper community if you need an example. Very few people seeking Gen 2's are also in the market for a Gen 3.

Finally, I'd much rather buy and enjoy an FK8 now than wait 2-4 years for the new Type-R. I suspect I'll always be able to get on a waitlist for the new version, and sell this one over MSRP, if I really wanted.

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR CW
I actually don’t mind it. I especially like how the wider rear end is actually incorporated in the sheet metal now (instead of what it looked like an afterthought on the FK8). Looks like the rear door would also be unique to blend in with the wider rear fender. Overall the simpler lines would make it much easier to clean than the previous gen.

I suspect the front will have some type of fake non-vent similar to the 2020-21 type R.

RichDMem

First Name
RD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport Hatch
I dunno...to me...might as well buy an accord and slap a J.C. Whitney wing on the back. No thanks. I'll take my 'over-stylized' 10th gen any day.
Yep. I hated the 10th gen when it came out; thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. Now I love my Sport Hatch's radical weirdness and think the 11th gen is yaaawwwn. Looks like a Jetta. That goes for this "Type R." Barely looks like an Si. Glad I got in when I did. :D

OP
OP
TigerEyeJazz

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
First, I really wanted to see pictures side by side of each generation:

1633362765457.png

1633362780903.png

1633362816358.png

1633362806753.png

As the owner of a '21 FK8-R, I think the difference in styling is a little overblown. They both look like more aggressive versions of a stock Civic. I can see the granular changes, but I don't think they are "completely different" cars. To the average person, I think both cars probably look pretty radical. We are talking about gradations, where the small changes now have the loudest voices in this community.

I often see this in the watch/timepiece community, where small changes are otherwise considered "completely different". The average person would have a tough time really seeing the difference. They see a Honda Civic with a big wing, big exhaust, and big wheels.

Here's a good example: Omega Aqua Terra Skyfall vs. the revision:

1633363320647.png

1633363361316.png

Some people say these are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT watches. And I suppose they are. The date window bordering, the text on the dial, the bracelet possibly. Or... are they just a little bit different?

"The little exhaust pipe is in the MIDDLE of the two big ones on the FK8!" Completely different?

Overall I think some of the refinements and gradation (key words here) are welcome and hopefully improve performance. If the car laps the 'ring a few seconds faster, that has zero impact on our enjoyment of either generation, and I suspect will have little impact on the overall value. Like the watch community, the little changes are so polarizing that in 20 years, people will seek out the exact version they want on Bring A Trailer. Just look at the Viper community if you need an example. Very few people seeking Gen 2's are also in the market for a Gen 3.

Finally, I'd much rather buy and enjoy an FK8 now than wait 2-4 years for the new Type-R. I suspect I'll always be able to get on a waitlist for the new version, and sell this one over MSRP, if I really wanted.
This right here is the best explanation ever for 11th and 10th Gen CTR. Well written and well said!!

BBQ

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
I don't know if that is the angle of the shot on the front end... It kinds of reminding me the Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V in 2002.

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic Zero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
I just want the (what appears to be) 19" wheels. Y'all not-yet-owners can keep the rest.
11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R Official Teaser From Honda!! "Ready for Nurburgring Testing." 1633366503202

OP
OP
TigerEyeJazz

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
I just want the (what appears to be) 19" wheels. Y'all not-yet-owners can keep the rest.
1633366503202.png
Those rims look better then the current one in my opinion. If the Integra Type S doesn’t have good rims I’m definitely buying those to put them on.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Looks great! Can't wait to see it fully revealed and put a deposit down for one.

I missed out on the 10th generation due to bad life timing. This next year is shaping up to be a perfect time to get one. Hope the markup isn't too stupid...

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Hmmm, popping over at CivicX.com and looking at 10th gen sales numbers might say otherwise.

I get it, there is a segment of people that hated the look of the 10th and thought it was over the top. But many others like me appreciated the playfulness of the design after so many gens of boring looking Civics.

I loved my 80's Integra and CRX but walked away from the brand when they started going conservative with their styling. The 10th brought me back.

The 11th isn't for me but if things go right with the new Integra, I may stick with Honda.
People that wouldn’t ever buy a Type R will prefer 11th gen, but not sure that matters.

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do sneakers count if I put wheels on them?
I'm getting pretty excited about this car. Here's my brain dump:

- I actually really like the front end (will have to see what fake vent design is there, you can see some contours but I probably won't mind)
- I'm undecided on the rear, hoping it's going to have some more TypeR craziness but not to the point of FK8
- @sgtiger made a great point that a lot of changes are more subtle than we think. But also I think even FK8 in camo looks understated so we have to wait to pass judgement
- Seems like they're working on heat issues so that's great news
- Same with others hoping they put 19" so I don't have to spend money on a set separately
- Unlike some, I'm very happy to see 4 door hatchback again. This will be the car replacing my 4 door Type R swap that's 20yrs old. I need to fit one kid now and one more in a year or two. I need all the comforts of life but also want a car that handles like it's on rails and fun to drive daily!
- Comment on understated styling...I see it as an advantage. Gives more room for mods to really personalize the car or just leave it be for those happy with it.

A lot of talk around exterior here but some thoughts on interior that I'm really excited about:

- I'm expecting all the interior upgrades and especially excited about Wireless Android Auto and Qi wireless charging seen on higher end 11th gen Civics
- I'm hoping that if this is 2023 model, that Android Automotive makes it in to replace Honda's own media/nav software, which would open a lot of doors for running things directly on that screen https://carbuzz.com/news/future-hondas-will-have-the-best-infotainment-system-in-the-industry
- Of course all the new interior changes really just completes the package so I welcome it

NorthernLaw

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R Boost Blue
LET'S GO, FINALLY THEY SAID SOMETHING!! So looks like they are keeping the 3 exhaust design, that spoiler must just be for testing though because it's not a stock looking fully connected one, it looks like it's adjustable, same as before to probably find the ideal height for the real spoiler, I know nothing about that, that's just my guess

NorthernLaw

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R Boost Blue
I=
I love my 2019 CTR because it is so ridiculous... 2023 at first glance looks almost dialed back too much visually, I'll reserve my opinion until I see it without the camo though.
Yeah I'm really hoping when this is non camo it looks really good and aggressive

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
With exactly the same driveline, longer wheelbase, maybe worse aero. I’d be very surprise if the 11th gen outperform the 10th gen CTR in the Ring. The 10th gen front suspension plus lsd is nearly perfect for fwd vehicle. I don’t think honda can break the record unless the updated K20C1 makes significantly more power, which I doubt.
It’s probably a lot stiffer frame so that allows better suspension tuning etc. it’ll be faster on the Ring for sure.
Sponsored