• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

daazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Miata
The Pipercross system is certainly interesting. I was intrigued initially and asked Dream Automotive for evidence about the claimed HP gains, but never received a reply. The Pipercross website states that no product is released until benchmark tests are conducted, yet no data are offered there either. Foam filters are generally best for dusty conditions, but may not be any better than other types for normal use, and in some situations less efficient. Here's a link that I found informative. https://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning/performance-car-air-filter-test/
Pipercross Car Induction Kit PK444 *PRE-ORDER* – The Pipercross Shop

Their site says over 10HP and 20lb/ft
Sponsored

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Thanks, I saw that too, but verbal claims aren't evidence to me. I'd need to see some dyno results before dropping almost $500, but that's just me.
Agree. That was my first thought. If you go through the effort of testing, why not add the dyno chart? People love data, especially enthusiasts and it will help sell more units. It's difficult to tell in those photos but the quality of the piece doesn't seem all that great. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're narrowly focused on noise and not concerned with the potential drawbacks (i.e., poor throttle response and potential power loss). @Icehawk doesn't hold any punches so I know he'll give an honest and unfiltered review.

Last edited:

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Good points! If an addition adds a benefit then it would be a simple matter, and more convincing, to provide the data. Nothing against PiperCross, but some companies are pushing new products without the R&D to support their claims. Not trying to hype this company either, but 27WON just released a new down pipe with similar HP and torque claims for around $850. What impressed me were the data and dyno results they supplied along with the release. Sprint does the same for their filters and a reason why I "dug deep" for one of their costly F1 filters. Personal experience with foam filters (motorcycles) has perhaps biased me too as I wasn't impressed with their general durability. The spherical filters in particular drew air primarily from certain regions and not the entire surface area, which may have been a result of the entering air flow pattens around the housing. When I took the filters out for cleaning, they would always be dirty in just one area. The rest of the filter was clean, suggesting to me that the entering air volume was not uniformly distributed. Sorry for the long winded (pun unintended) reply - LOL!

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Thanks, I saw that too, but verbal claims aren't evidence to me. I'd need to see some dyno results before dropping almost $500, but that's just me.
I thought it was weird they made specific claims and then didn't post a dyno but I honestly don't care about making more power. If I was looking for anything more than a noisemaker this wouldn't get my money right now, but I'm a bit impatient and the lack of proper sound in the CTR just can't stand! $500 ain't cheap until you start looking at those FK8 intake prices... and suddenly it seems reasonable. The intake on my NA Miata cost $60 (customer elbow and K&N cone) so yeah, I'm used to everything being way cheaper. Like WAY cheaper.

I too am not a fan of foam filters, looks like you can probably just slap a cone on there from someone else though. We'll see.

They emailed me to let me know it will be a few weeks (the order page said this too) but once it comes in I will let you guys know what I think, take a vid, etc.

@Village911 - I love how the taller tires also help close the fender gap and the side benefit of a little more ground clearance. My ND Miata ran taller tires for all these benefits too. I don't find the small increase in CG anything a normal human notices, YMMV.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Washed the car, cleaned the wheels (found a huge chip in a Brembo! Me sad), and finally did two small mods I've had the parts for.

Fender vent mesh.

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_3678.JPEG

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_3680.JPEG

And swapped in a Shift Solutions Co titanium knob - this was a major PITA on many levels but at least any future swaps will be easy. The new knob design is really meant to lower it a bit and that doesn't work well with the shift boot retainer nut & clip but I got it all to work and tighten up.

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_3681.JPEG

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_3682.JPEG

Next up an Alcantara boot. I will admit I'm tempted to get those Overland side console pieces along with the boot. I'll probably end up scoring them in a paycheck or two knowing me :D I've got an intake on order and that'll probably wrap up the mods for a little while. The only other things I'm really considering are an exhaust (if needed after the intake) and speaker/sub upgrades. Otherwise I'm just going to enjoy it!

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Washed the car, cleaned the wheels (found a huge chip in a Brembo! Me sad), and finally did two small mods I've had the parts for.

Fender vent mesh.

IMG_3678.JPEG

IMG_3680.JPEG

And swapped in a Shift Solutions Co titanium knob - this was a major PITA on many levels but at least any future swaps will be easy. The new knob design is really meant to lower it a bit and that doesn't work well with the shift boot retainer nut & clip but I got it all to work and tighten up.

IMG_3681.JPEG

IMG_3682.JPEG

Next up an Alcantara boot. I will admit I'm tempted to get those Overland side console pieces along with the boot. I'll probably end up scoring them in a paycheck or two knowing me :D I've got an intake on order and that'll probably wrap up the mods for a little while. The only other things I'm really considering are an exhaust (if needed after the intake) and speaker/sub upgrades. Otherwise I'm just going to enjoy it!
Nice work!

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5

Fender vent mesh.

IMG_3678.JPEG

IMG_3680.JPEG

IMG_3681.JPEG

IMG_3682.JPEG

Would love to know more about speaker upgrades.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
My last car had a Bose system, the small/easy upgrade is to buy quality 2ohm speakers by CDT and swap them in the doors, I also swapped the tweeters out for some JLs but for the CTR I'd use some CDTs instead. I'm a big fan of CDT's "seconds", the ones I got were half price and had no blemishes I could find. Figure $250 total, not too bad. The center speaker is 3.5" so maybe a JBL GX302 would work or Infinity Kappa Perfect 300 if you want to go $, not sure if doing this one is worth it unless you use the Bose sound mode.

I would skip the rear entirely, or just the doors at most - the hatch/pillar speakers are placed so poorly as to be useless.

I have a small, powered Punch sub I could toss in somewhere just because I own it, but I wouldn't otherwise. I feel like there's enough bass at the volumes the stock amplification supports that I'm not sure I'd do anything with the OEM setup - either upgrading the driver or adding a custom setup.

Last edited:

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
My last car had a Bose system, the small/easy upgrade is to buy quality 2ohm speakers by CDT and swap them in the doors, I also swapped the tweeters out for some JLs but for the CTR I'd use some CDTs as instead. I'm a big fan of CDT's "seconds", the ones I got were half price and had no blemishes I could find. Figure $250 total, not too bad. The center speaker is 3.5" so maybe a JBL GX302 would work or Infinity Kappa Perfect 300 if you want to go $, not sure if doing this one is worth it unless you use the Bose sound mode.

I would skip the rear entirely, or just the doors at most - the hatch/pillar speakers are placed so poorly as to be useless.

I have a small, powered Punch sub I could toss in somewhere just because I own it, but I wouldn't otherwise. I feel like there's enough bass at the volumes the stock amplification supports that I'm not sure I'd do anything with the OEM setup - either upgrading the driver or adding a custom setup.
I have a Kappa 300 laying around. I think it came in twos when I got it for my Accord. It maybe improved the Navigation audio.

Thank you for this info. I will definitely end up doing something. Not next.. but it is on my to do list.

Today I cleaned my car and put a ceramic spray coating on the car.

I'm actually impressed by the product.

https://a.co/d/8I4eBhB

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
If you do pop in the Kappa please report back, this isn't currently high on my list but I know me and I'll probably do this at some point.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
@Icehawk You may find this interesting. This should give you all the noise you can handle.;) I can only imagine what this sounds like with the engine under load.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Can't wait to get it - and wow, that install looks crazy easy! I'm going to get some heat shielding foil for the "airbox" section.
Sponsored