• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

11th Gen Civic Si Engine Swap

Crisspy

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2023
Disclaimer, this purely me just trying to learn, and don't plan on doing something like this anytime soon, unless it really isn't that big of a project so just bare with me.

If someone were to hypothetically put the new Type R engine in the new Civic Si. What things would have to change for something like that to be possible? Im assuming you would also need to swap the Transmission as well. (Also don't want to hear "why don't you get a Type R instead"šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚) Would the Chasis or frame need to be modified? What are other potential things that would need to change for a build like this to be possible. And if you can throw a ball park cost of what it would take to make this possible that would be interesting to know (100% understand this would not be a cheap endeavor at all) as well as what types of places that would be designed / capable for projects like this.
Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
I have seen this topic a few times on civicx. The Type R has a bosch ECU, which means you'd need to replace a ton of harnesses to complete this swap. The most promising option seems to be the K20C4 accord 2.0T engine. At least one guy seems to be actively trying this swap.

OP
OP

Crisspy

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2023
I have seen this topic a few times on civicx. The Type R has a bosch ECU, which means you'd need to replace a ton of harnesses to complete this swap. The most promising option seems to be the K20C4 accord 2.0T engine. At least one guy seems to be actively trying this swap.
I've also been seeing this, I am a little confused though. I see that the Type R engine is the same as the 2.0 Accord but there is obviously something different, where is the extra 50 horsepower coming from that the accord doesn't have?

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
I'd say the smaller turbo and the fuel system are the main reasons. The good thing is that once you get a K20C4 running, most upgrades from the Type R can be installed. There's this YT video with some details about the differences:

I'm no expert though, but if you are in for a good reading you can follow it here https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/how-to-k-swap-your-si.80693/

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Dangā€¦I recall reading a short article on the differences a few months ago. I canā€™t remember where now tho, but it was pretty clearly explained. There are indeed differences between the Type R engine and the 2.0 turbo used in the Accord etc. It isnā€™t just ECU programming. I know the turbo itself is different. I think there are some other aspects for strength and lightweighting in the Type R engine as well that arenā€™t in the Accord engine.

If I were to do a project like that, Iā€™d probably look at the Accord engine plus Hondata tune first. 3 reasons : 1. Availability. 2. Cost. 3. The Type R crate engine cannot be bought for street useā€¦though there are perhaps loopholes.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
You will probably have to modify your suspension to prevent torque steer because the Type R engine is making 315hp stock. But people boost their 1.5T's up to 400-500hp so it's doable.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport
Getting a type r ecu to communicate with other modules not designed for the same protocols or information/messages can be tricky. someone swapped an si gauge control module in their hatchback (10th gen) and the tachometer didnt work because the si used different signals. i know the ctr has different connectors for engine sensors. type r ecu has more pins on both connectors as well. c4 swap is your best bet as the same engine sensor connectors are used. would need engine, trans, custom axles, maybe minor mods to the engine harness, retain stock ecu.
Sponsored