• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
If you don't really need a new vehicle right now, I would wait until we see some improvement in the supply chain. I've seen several recent reports that we are coming out of the low and we should start seeing some significant improvement by next summer and into the fall.
Been thinking about this lately --

I feel like now is a great time to sell/grade my '17 Sport Touring FK7; CarMax would buy it for a little over $23k right now. It's all paid off, too, so getting into a new '22 Sport Touring would be easy.

But if dealers are still insisting on "market adjustments" — because, after all, this market benefits them as much as it'd benefit me — then why should I bother with Hondas at all anymore? I've only owned Hondas (all Civic hatchbacks, in fact) but these kinds of shenanigans make me want to jump ship. Shit, $10k+ markup is edging into BMW territory, fer chrissakes.

It doesn't help that I'm this close to choosing an EV for my next car, either. If Honda has any EVs in the pipeline for the US, they're sure keeping silent. If I had an inkling of Honda's plans, I wouldn't also be cross-shopping Kia and Hyundai (and even Polestar).
Sponsored

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Find a dealer at msrp.. search I just bought a sport touring for msrp.. and got top money on my trade. Its the perfect time to buy a new car if you can find a honest dealer willing to put kbb excellent trade value. ?

Been thinking about this lately --

I feel like now is a great time to sell/grade my '17 Sport Touring FK7; CarMax would buy it for a little over $23k right now. It's all paid off, too, so getting into a new '22 Sport Touring would be easy.

But if dealers are still insisting on "market adjustments" — because, after all, this market benefits them as much as it'd benefit me — then why should I bother with Hondas at all anymore? I've only owned Hondas (all Civic hatchbacks, in fact) but these kinds of shenanigans make me want to jump ship. Shit, $10k+ markup is edging into BMW territory, fer chrissakes.

It doesn't help that I'm this close to choosing an EV for my next car, either. If Honda has any EVs in the pipeline for the US, they're sure keeping silent. If I had an inkling of Honda's plans, I wouldn't also be cross-shopping Kia and Hyundai (and even Polestar).

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
And some transactions are fair but alot of dealers are hitting trades several thousand low and selling the new cars at msrp +++. Is that fair? Most people don't have a clue what fair book value is.

I've owned 3 new cars in the last year. Each deal had low offers and some fair. Just depending. I just traded my 21 wrx and I had been offered 27k but got 31700. That's crazy ?. My 21 hatchsport I was offered 21k and got 25k. ??... my 2016 ext sedan I was offered 14k and got 17k. So you just have to make sure you know what it's worth. Goto kbb.com to get your fair trade value. ?

@HondaPro - agree 100%, but keep in mind that dealers need to make a profit. A fair deal is good for both sides.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the dealerships here has had hatchbacks in stock for a while, which is unusual for this area — everyone else seems to sell out. So I swung by to take a look.

$500 "processing fee", $400 wheel locks (wtf), $700 mudflaps (gtfo), plus a $5000 "market adjustment". No wonder they can't seem to sell this car.

11th Gen Honda Civic $15k price markup on 2022 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring! IMG_0453 2 Lar

11th Gen Honda Civic $15k price markup on 2022 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring! IMG_0455 2 Lar

KIKUTWO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Golf R
One of the dealerships here has had hatchbacks in stock for a while, which is unusual for this area — everyone else seems to sell out. So I swung by to take a look.

$500 "processing fee", $400 wheel locks (wtf), $700 mudflaps (gtfo), plus a $5000 "market adjustment". No wonder they can't seem to sell this car.

IMG_0453 2 Large.jpeg

IMG_0455 2 Large.jpeg
Dealer can't sell or spell either.

RMR

First Name
Chugpudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 Civic Hatchback Sport
The problem is that when you go to sell/trade the car in out into the future - that market will never take into consideration the excess that people are paying right now. It's a waste of money especially if one finances and pays interest on that mark up. Patience is a virtue right now. This will continue on thru this year.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
A lot of dealers are gonna lose their asses on trades/used car buyouts. Who in their right mind would pay more than a new car for a used vehicle. Also I don't see why people would ever fall for this markup shit. If you can travel then look around your state or outside your state for dealers that will give you what you want without trying to rip you off. You can get deals done on the phone/email/text these days without ever leaving your house.

RMR

First Name
Chugpudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 Civic Hatchback Sport
I completely agree. These tactics are set up to fail and cripple people financially in the long term

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan

IMG_0453 2 Large.jpeg

IMG_0455 2 Large.jpeg
Is there honestly anyone in the world who looks at that car and says "hell yeah, $38K for a Civic... what a deal". Sorry but anyone buying that car at close to that price is an idiot.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
The real problem, as someone mentioned before, is that people are going to get so used to being happy about paying MSRP that, when the market comes back down, dealers are gonna be hard to push back down to below MSRP on new cars.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sent an email to the dealer where I got my FK7, and they're not asking for a markup. MSRP plus destination/processing, and that's it. The timeline is months out, though — they said all the Civics are presold before they even hit the lot (which explains why their lot has been nearly empty for months). They said, "We are currently into a July / August time frame for a production dates, so you could be as late as September for a delivery time frame."

I'm cool with that (assuming I go with another Civic instead of bumping up to an Acura) because we've got some life changes ahead of us in the next few months.

evped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
I’m still looking for a Sport Touring for MSRP. Last dealer I spoke with said Honda has stopped production of hatches. If true, does this mean all new production will be 2023’s? Can anyone confirm?

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I’m still looking for a Sport Touring for MSRP. Last dealer I spoke with said Honda has stopped production of hatches. If true, does this mean all new production will be 2023’s? Can anyone confirm?

Yes its true. There are some sport touring hatches in salt lake and Denver but they are first come first serve. Other locations as well but almost sold out and wait time is now 6 months.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Is there honestly anyone in the world who looks at that car and says "hell yeah, $38K for a Civic... what a deal". Sorry but anyone buying that car at close to that price is an idiot.

Mine was $39k out the door after tax and fees w $3k of options.
Sponsored