• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Civic_HVI-17

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Civic_HVI-16

The last time we posted about the 11th Gen Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System, we were still in the development phase of the design. Today we are here to post some updates on some of our functioning, first article prototype samples. Recently, the PRL team was able to strap our 11th Gen Civic Si to the dyno to see what kind of gains we could make with a totally stock ECU calibration.

Before we get into the nitty gritty regarding power gains, it’s worth mentioning some of the changes Honda made between the 11th and 10th Gen 1.5L Turbo cars. The factory intake system on the 11th Gen is a vast improvement over the 10th Gen, with it's functioning air duct that utilizes a significantly larger inlet that drapes over the core support and pulls cool air in from in front of the radiator.

How were we able to improve upon the factory intake's design? The main contributing factors to how our intake will improve in terms of performance all come down to increasing air volume and decreasing air temps. We were able to increase the inlet size to the maximum allowable without performing more extensive modifications. Examining the comparison pictures (pictured below), the PRL inlet (black) has a total opening size increase of approximately 23%. Furthermore, we did away with the factory ribbing blocking the air path on the factory design by using a high density thermoplastic blend, which provides enough structural rigidity to warrant eliminating the ribbing. The result of that is the air rushing into the box has a much smoother path, which promotes an increase of horsepower.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Stock V PRL Duct 4.PNG

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Stock V PRL Duct 1.PNG

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Stock V PRL Duct 2.PNG

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Stock V PRL Duct 3.PNG

Beyond this, we significantly increased total volume housed by the air box. This means that a larger majority of the ambient air is separated from the hot engine bay, which improves the power produced during combustion due to higher air density.

We also briefly touched on a provision towards the base of the air box for a possible secondary air source. In the future, PRL is looking into designing a (Cobra-style) secondary air source that would draw in air from behind the driver’s side fog light, and velocity-stack into the air box.

Now onto the dyno results:

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Dyno 10hp.PNG

During our dyno session, we saw a maximum peak of 205 WHP with our standard High Volume Intake and a maximum peak of 196WHP with the factory intake. We make sure to do a baseline test to directly compare stock to modified per session to avoid artificially inflating our numbers. Baseline power numbers can vary depending on dyno, ambient temperature, elevation, fuel quality and ECU parameters such as knock control. For reference, this dyno test was performed at 81 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 58.7% and an elevation of ~1100 feet. All dyno pulls were performed on the same dyno on the same day with identical ECU parameters to ensure fairness. The difference in power between the pulls is important to examine, rather than just the peak number. However, further analyzing the graph, we can see that the High Volume Intake made power consistently throughout the rev range. In the mid-range, we see as much as 11 HP at 4400 RPM, and a notable 12 ft/lb torque from about 3700 RPM on. All of this is achieved while keeping fuel trims within 3% of factory spec.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Civic_HVI-Install-29

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System Development Civic_HVI-Install-28

Our team has also confirmed fitment of our 11th Gen Civic 1.5T HVI with the 2023+ 5th Gen Acura Integra 1.5T. We plan to release pre-orders within the next month. Customers can click "Notify When Available" on our product listings to receive an alert when pre-orders are live!

Civic Product Listing Link
Integra Product Listing

Stay tuned for sound clips in our product overview video on Friday!
Sponsored

Last edited:

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Yeah that's a well engineered intake. Especially while improving an already effective stock air box.

DYI01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2019 Nissan Titan, 2017 Yamaha FZ10
I'd really like to see the difference between the HVI and the Stage 1 on the dyno, under the same conditions.

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Supra Turbo, 1000hp Lexus SC300, 22 Civic Si...
Most important question. How's it sound?

Also, will you be releasing a larger MAF housing for your inevitable big turbo upgrade? Also, any ETA on when we can see a larger turbo upgrade available?

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
I'm impressed and I wasn't expecting that much gains, looks perfect.
Yeah that's a well engineered intake. Especially while improving an already effective stock air box.
Thanks for the feedback! We really tried to make this fit, look and perform as well as possible. We've got a few functioning prototype units out for testing with some different parties that should be providing their experiences within the next few days/weeks. The community can expect to see much more content on this product coming soon. :thumbsup:

I'd really like to see the difference between the HVI and the Stage 1 on the dyno, under the same conditions.
I'll bring this up to our R&D team and see if this is a test we can slide in next time we're at the dyno. :)

Most important question. How's it sound?

Also, will you be releasing a larger MAF housing for your inevitable big turbo upgrade? Also, any ETA on when we can see a larger turbo upgrade available?
Good question! I believe we can answer this question for you in our video we'll be publishing tomorrow evening on YouTube. Subscribe for updates! :thumbsup:

We have discussed the possibility of a larger "Race MAF Housing" option, but have not officially decided on which direction we plan to go. Considering the 11th Gen L15CA uses a Hertz-based MAF sensor that can be rescaled with KTuner or Hondata to increase MAF resolution, there isn't exactly a need for a larger MAF housing diameter.

The primary reason behind our Race MAF housing for the 10th Gen Civic and FK8 Civic Type-R, was because the Non-Si and CT-R MAF Sensors are NOT Hertz-based (they are Volts based), and cannot be rescaled or recalibrated with an ECU tuner. Our Race MAF Upgrades were essentially designed to increase the MAF resolution ceiling, not engine performance. We do not offer a Race MAF housing option for the 1.5T or 2.0T Accord platforms because it is not necessary, so there is a likeliness that we will not be offering this option for the 11th Gen Civic. It is worth noting that the 11th Gen's L15CA turbocharger inlet pipe and MAF housing are already a bit larger than the 10th Gen Civic's components.

In regards to our turbocharger development - we have made a bit of progress on wheel selection and aero design. However, we are currently working with our engineers and casting supplier to determine how much we can fit inside of a factory location housing. We're hoping to be able to have an update to post in our turbocharger development thread by the end of next month. Unfortunately, turbocharger development and testing is a rather lengthy process, but is so worth it in the end!

Giovandre

First Name
GiO
Threads
Reaction score
North Dakota, USA from Puerto Rico (USAF)
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2023 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
Civic_HVI-17.jpg

Civic_HVI-16.jpg

The last time we posted about the 11th Gen Honda Civic 1.5T High Volume Intake System, we were still in the development phase of the design. Today we are here to post some updates on some of our functioning, first article prototype samples. Recently, the PRL team was able to strap our 11th Gen Civic Si to the dyno to see what kind of gains we could make with a totally stock ECU calibration.

Before we get into the nitty gritty regarding power gains, it’s worth mentioning some of the changes Honda made between the 11th and 10th Gen 1.5L Turbo cars. The factory intake system on the 11th Gen is a vast improvement over the 10th Gen, with it's functioning air duct that utilizes a significantly larger inlet that drapes over the core support and pulls cool air in from in front of the radiator.

How were we able to improve upon the factory intake's design? The main contributing factors to how our intake will improve in terms of performance all come down to increasing air volume and decreasing air temps. We were able to increase the inlet size to the maximum allowable without performing more extensive modifications. Examining the comparison pictures (pictured below), the PRL inlet (black) has a total opening size increase of approximately 23%. Furthermore, we did away with the factory ribbing blocking the air path on the factory design by using a high density thermoplastic blend, which provides enough structural rigidity to warrant eliminating the ribbing. The result of that is the air rushing into the box has a much smoother path, which promotes an increase of horsepower.

Stock V PRL Duct 4.PNG

Stock V PRL Duct 1.PNG

Stock V PRL Duct 2.PNG

Stock V PRL Duct 3.PNG

Beyond this, we significantly increased total volume housed by the air box. This means that a larger majority of the ambient air is separated from the hot engine bay, which improves the power produced during combustion due to higher air density.

We also briefly touched on a provision towards the base of the air box for a possible secondary air source. In the future, PRL is looking into designing a (Cobra-style) secondary air source that would draw in air from behind the driver’s side fog light, and velocity-stack into the air box.

Now onto the dyno results:

Dyno 10hp.PNG

During our dyno session, we saw a maximum peak of 205 WHP with our standard High Volume Intake and a maximum peak of 196WHP with the factory intake. We make sure to do a baseline test to directly compare stock to modified per session to avoid artificially inflating our numbers. Baseline power numbers can vary depending on dyno, ambient temperature, elevation, fuel quality and ECU parameters such as knock control. For reference, this dyno test was performed at 81 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 58.7% and an elevation of ~1100 feet. All dyno pulls were performed on the same dyno on the same day with identical ECU parameters to ensure fairness. The difference in power between the pulls is important to examine, rather than just the peak number. However, further analyzing the graph, we can see that the High Volume Intake made power consistently throughout the rev range. In the mid-range, we see as much as 11 HP at 4400 RPM, and a notable 12 ft/lb torque from about 3700 RPM on. All of this is achieved while keeping fuel trims within 3% of factory spec.

Civic_HVI-Install-29.jpg

Civic_HVI-Install-28.jpg

Our team has also confirmed fitment of our 11th Gen Civic 1.5T HVI with the 2023+ 5th Gen Acura Integra 1.5T. We plan to release pre-orders within the next month. Customers can click "Notify When Available" on our product listings to receive an alert when pre-orders are live!

Civic Product Listing Link
Integra Product Listing

Stay tuned for sound clips in our product overview video on Friday!
Amazing!!!!

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Nice dyno gains, I'm impressed as I wasn't expecting that size of gain. Looks like vtec starts at 4200 rpms based on what I'm seeing on the graph ?

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)

This is the official announcement for the release of our High Volume Intake System for the 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T and 2023+ Acura Integra. Pre-Orders go live September 16th, 2022 at Noon, EST! Expected fulfillment date for the first batch of pre-orders to be announced upon release.

jsocks014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Nissan Titan Pro-4x

This is the official announcement for the release of our High Volume Intake System for the 2022+ Honda Civic 1.5T and 2023+ Acura Integra. Pre-Orders go live September 16th, 2022 at Noon, EST! Expected fulfillment date for the first batch of pre-orders to be announced upon release.
Awesome news! I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Ktuner. Promised myself I’d pace the mods haha. Will production be steady after initial preorder or will there likely be a wait for the 2nd batch to come in stock?

AshSerigala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11-Gen Honda Civic Hatchback Sport-Touring
Still debating myself, as to rather or not I'll pop into this pre-order. Since I understand the 11 gen hasn't been out "that long" so a lot of people are juuuuust getting around to producing stuff. So its always that game of "Do I buy this or do I wait 6 months and see what the options are?" Always the hardest choices! So far I found two channels that did reviews on this intake unit. Everyone seems to like it. Pretty slick and snug-fit looking. Fairly new to car modding, so its also a game of just learning 'What are the benefits? Is that worth it to me?' etc. I come from a Chevy-Spark, No one really mods those... Jumping to a civic, stock, feels like a Ferrari when you're use to a 80HP toy car.