• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2023 CTR transmission issue?

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
I've owned a del slow, 4 s2000's, an FK8, and am now waiting on a 2023 Type R. 2nd gear grind and lockout is a real issue for the FK8 vehicles. I've driven and owned a multitude of Honda products through out my life. But there were issues with the FK8 transmissions, just do a search on the Civic X forums. You will see thread upon thread regarding the problems. The grinds and lockouts happened during all weather conditions (live in CT so we have a wide range of temps) and during fast and slow shifting. Two out of the three FK8 owners that I personally knew admitted to me that they had 2nd gear grinds. I tried changing the fluids, shifting differently but I grew so frustrated with the transmission that I traded in my car. I sincerely hope that Honda addressed it with this generation.
Sponsored

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
I have been waiting for the new CTR for a while now. I think it's a fantastic car. However, I have heard about the outgoing model having some transmission issues(the infamous 2nd gear grind). It honestly scared me a bit cuz I though Honda was known for making quality manual gearboxes. It seems like the GR Corolla or the GR 86 are a safer bet since those models have been pretty reliable at least drivetrain wise(The GR Yaris shares the same powertrain as the new Gr Corolla and I haven't really heard anything bad about that car). How widespread is this problem for the FK8 platform? And do you think Honda has addressed this issue in the new model?
The GR86 transmission is NO where close to the Type R in terms of feel and quality. How do I know? I owned a BRZ for 5 years. Transmission was a love/hate relationship. Sometimes it would get so notchy I would have to skip a gear. There were days I wanted to stop shifting, it was that bad.

All the Type Rs I've driven (3 FK8s so far), have had way better feel and just shifting through the gears was a joy. It's that good.

The Toyota products are also not exempt from their own issues i.e. 86 and its catastrophic engine issues