• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2023 Honda Civic Type R vs. Hyundai Elantra N (From Test Drive)

S2000Forever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda S2000
Hi All,

Just drove a Hyundai Elantra N in Manual. First impressions, well before even driving it I thought it was going to be a lot better than I experienced. First off, it's an amazing value for the money, let's get that straight. Here in Canada it retails for roughly 39K (before freight/PDI & taxes) and when you compare it to the 46K 2021 Type R, there's some value there. The exhaust note is incredible, N mode and the ability to change all the settings is a much needed option that the Type R will surely get in the new one hopefully. The interior is impressive looking and the seats are fantastic as well.

Here's where I think if you compare the actual engines, is the biggest difference. Mind you, this was a new Elantra with 15K on it, but it just didn't pull like a Type R at all, the clutch had no give back and was super light. I don't think you can compare the manual to a Honda's as well, felt very spongey.

I owned a 2017 Type R and I'm first on the list for a 2023, if I didn't have the experience with a Type R I could very well be impressed with the Elantra N, but I don't think it hits all the marks. And another deal breaker for me is the Type R's hatch, so much more flexibility. The Elantra N has the brace behind the back seats which helps with rigidity, but limits the convenience of the folding rear seats. Overall, I think Hyundai did a great job with the Elantra N and for the money, it's a vehicle to consider.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Thanks for the review, I think the Hyundai falls under best bang for the buck , great value if you want it.

My co-worker is on her third engine in her Hyundai, the first two motors self-destructed and left her stranded on the side of the road on a busy highway both times. It was all under warranty. I don't want to chance it, no matter how great the vehicles seem to be.

Last edited:

HawaiiPunch

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Elantra N
Thanks for the post, I’ve been interested in the POV of someone who has driven both since the Elantra N came out. Only thing is build quality, and while Honda hasn’t been perfect they’ve been much better than Hyundai. You nailed it about the usability bit too, the hatch & space of the Type R is beyond everything else in the segment.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
For the record, I think you can remove the structural bars with 4 bolts. And I'd be sorely tempted to get the DCT if I got an "N" vehicle.

In the US, with Type R markups, it's probably going to be a $10k differential

CeeBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT - '21 Civic Hatch EX
For the record, I think you can remove the structural bars with 4 bolts. And I'd be sorely tempted to get the DCT if I got an "N" vehicle.

In the US, with Type R markups, it's probably going to be a $10k differential
With as wild as markups are I wouldn't be surprised if the Elantra N is marked up like crazy because it's desirable and I imagine a somewhat limited production. That said it's amazing what the Korean brands have come up with compared to the 90's junk.

RMR

First Name
Chugpudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 Civic Hatchback Sport
I recently inquired about an 2022 Civic Si near Chicago and the dealers want $8k to $9k over MSRP. The 2023 CTR will probably go for at least $10k over MSRP. I am interested to see if the Hyundai N cars go for over MSRP. There is a Kona N at my local Hyundai dealer that has been on the lot for 2 weeks. They are asking MSRP for it.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I recently inquired about an 2022 Civic Si near Chicago and the dealers want $8k to $9k over MSRP. The 2023 CTR will probably go for at least $10k over MSRP. I am interested to see if the Hyundai N cars go for over MSRP. There is a Kona N at my local Hyundai dealer that has been on the lot for 2 weeks. They are asking MSRP for it.
? to the Si pricing; also not impressed with the car market right now.

I'm really hoping it normalizes in the next two years or so... which is when I'd be ready to buy a Type R. The GR Corolla might also make the list depending on specs and price at that point.

Wishing us all luck whenever we're ready to make the purchase!

Reactions: RMR

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
You really can't beat the Elantra N for bang for buck. Manual in the US is 32k. I'm pretty sure the Type R will be over 40k. Elantra N should be a direct competitor to the GLI and the Civic Si.
Sponsored