• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Coming from an Elantra N

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Oh My Lanta that thing is hideous! So glad you got away from it! Welcome to the forum!
Sponsored

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Personal experience talking...

I will never consider a Hyundai, Kia or Genesis. That doesn't mean you shouldn't.

We have gone through two bad vehicles and two awful dealers.

Your experience maybe different than mine but funk all that.

So I wouldn't care if the N was superior to the FL5 in every way and cheaper. I wouldn't spend a dime on their vehicles.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

I will never consider a Hyundai, Kia or Genesis. That doesn't mean you shouldn't.

So I wouldn't care if the N was superior to the FL5 in every way and cheaper. I wouldn't spend a dime on their vehicles.
Did the Sorrento give you hell?

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
You get the engine replaced under warranty yet?
The was the first vehicle.. Santa Fe. Dealer told us the engine noise is normal. Thr next dealer said "What the hell is wrong with this thing" and replaced it. That was when I learned 2.4L are kept in stock in parts.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The was the first vehicle.. Santa Fe. Dealer told us the engine noise is normal. Thr next dealer said "What the hell is wrong with this thing" and replaced it. That was when I learned 2.4L are kept in stock in parts.
Yep. 2.0 GDI, 2.0 MPI, and 2.4GDI are all readily available.

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R

I'm definitely on the same page here. We had a 2016 KIA Soul that suffered catastrophic engine failure at 70K miles. I had taken it in to the dealership prior because I was seeing what I thought was excessive oil consumption. Of course the dealership told me the engine and oil was operating normally. I guess to their credit they did warranty the engine, buy we got rid of the car ASAP after getting it back. I realize a KIA Soul isn't comparable to an Elantra N, but there is just too much information out there citing engine issues and failures in Hyundai / Kia products for me to ever trust in buying another one.

katch922

First Name
Raf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CTR
It's hit and miss with any brand really. I had a 2011 Genesis Coupe gt and it was a great car for 7 yrs I owned. Manual was shit but didn't have any issues.

And recently I owned a 2019 Golf R and it already had an issues at 10k and they tried to blame me for it too.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I had a VN very briefly. It was alright. I think it looked nice and handled well. The three door was a bit weird. I think it looks much better than the EN.

For me: CTR>Golf R>GTI. I guess next would be the GR Corolla, followed by the underpowered Si. VN after that, and the current WRX is unownably ugly.

I guess I’d put a GR86 or BRZ after the GTI in that list, even though it’s a coupe. If we can let sedans play, why not a coupe? Lol

katch922

First Name
Raf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CTR
In that case 911 GT3>All

For me it's really CTR, if I can't get it, I really don't care. That's why I would just settle for the EN and drive the crap out of it for fun. I could care less for wrx, GRC, ITS, etc.

2k2s2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda S2000
For the tiny buzzing by your ear, it may be the seatbelt. The thing that raises and lowers the seatbelt was making a buzzing noise for me but after moving it slightly, it fixed the issue for me.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Great write up OP.

I almost pulled the trigger on an Elantra N but realized the build quality, interior and overall aesthetic would have me looking for something else much sooner then in the CTR. Yes the CTR costs more, but it's close to perfect for what it is. Agree at times it's a little serious, but one click into R mode and it's pretty hilarious.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Considering the amount of comments from reviewers always jumping on the bandwagon and dumping on the looks of my beloved FK8, I can't bash the EN. It is weird - but I kind of like it.
I would rather see a manufacturer try to do something fun and miss than just play it safe.
And no, it is by no means anywhere near the ugliest car out there as long as BMW still makes buck tooth beaver grilles.
The seats in the R, the excellent manual, the storage and the reliability over the Hyundai seal the deal for me. Since I only paid $ 35K for my FK8- about the price of an EN - I think I got a lot of car for the money. No good reason to trade. the SI before it was great - but if you want to talk about hard seats...they killed my back and butt after a while, and I am not a large person. The Type R seats still feel great 46,000 miles in. The precision and feel of this car is still amazing to me.
But all props to Hyundai for the EN and the VN before it.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Sponsored