• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Coming from an Elantra N

Aero1900

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
I just got my Boost Blue type R this week. I previously owned both an Elantra N and a bunch of VWs.

11th Gen Honda Civic Coming from an Elantra N IMG_20230614_205246_917

11th Gen Honda Civic Coming from an Elantra N 20230909_164750

I thought you guys might like to read a little bit of a comparison.

I'll break down a couple things here; Power, Handling and quality.

As for power, I'll be honest with you guys, the Elantra N is only slightly less powerful. I had a dual clutch N and it was rated at 286hp vs the CTR at 315. Noticeable, but not by much. The Elantra motor was great. The turbo spooled up quick yet held its power up to redline pretty well. It was a car built around the idea of fun and entertainment above perfection while the CTR seems to be a much more mature, serious car. Different philosophy. For example, in the N when you hit the N button on the steering wheel, the display on the digital dash literally turned into a giant, arching fireball as it displayed the tachometer. Totally ridiculous, but hilarious and entertaining. Its theater. Additionally, in N mode, the exhaust was nuts. Not super loud but it was very aggressive. Lift off the throttle at 5k rpm and it sounds like a shoot out is happening behind you. I used to do it under a bridge on my way home from work everyday. Literally sounded like a shot gun going off behind you. Theater.

The N handled pretty well too. It was stiff and direct. The steering feel of the CTR is better though. Its one of those things that's hard to describe however, I just have a better, more direct feel with the steering of the CTR. When you really leaned on the N in the corners its surprisingly good. It does have big anti roll bars, adjustable shocks and big, sticky tire (245 pilot sport 4s) so not far off the CTR. The driving dynamics of the N are impressive, no doubt. I was very pleased with it. Prior to the N I owned and raced a number of GTIs and Jetta GLIs. The N is far more aggressive than a GTI. It felt lower, leaner, faster and much more aggressively tuned. I was quiet happy with my N for a year and a half until I got the itch for more.

Where the N falls apart compared to a Civic Type R is in the build quality. Interior materials were basically junk except for the seats themselves. The infortainment screen was excellent . But the rest of the car was what you would expect. Panel gaps were ridiculous. I couldn't ever figure out if my hood was crooked or the front bumper was but the panel gap between the two was wildly different between the two sides. The headliner material was terrible. It was a scratchy, awful cost savings. There was kind of a lot of those types of things. Coming from a VW GTI that had soft, quality materials and nice little touches, the cheapness of the N was obvious. But it was really fun to drive. It made me laugh and smile a lot.

After just a week with the Type R I have a few observations. None of this will be surprising to anyone here I'm sure.

First of all, the seats! Oh, how I love the seats. They hold you in place as well as the very aggressively bolstered seats in the N, yet they are far more comfortable. The bolsters in the N held you in place really well, but as a 200 lbs guy, they hurt. Literally. There were hard pieces that made the bolsters shape that really dug in. Maybe if you were a 170 lbs you'd love the seats though. Plus, they have a little "N" light in them.

My Elantra N was a dual clutch automatic, so I can't compare the shifter in the N to the R. That being said, the shifter in the R is absolutely fantastic. I've driven many stick shift cars in my life and none of them even compare to the R. The smooth, clean feel of shifting the R is fabulous.

The quality of the rest of the car is also pretty much everything I'd hoped for. Considering its just a civic underneath all the awesomeness, its impressive. My only issue with the car so far is a tiny, buzzing in the A pillar next to my left ear. Aside from that, the R is great.

My ultimate point is this: The civic Type R is a superiour vehicle to the Elantra N. That being said, for the money, the N is fantastic. I paid $36,000 for the N and $48,000 for the R. Big difference in price. If you cant afford a type R, the N is damn near as good for a lot less money. And the aftermarket support for the N is pretty good too.
Sponsored

katch922

First Name
Raf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CTR
Thanks for sharing, I'm considering both in 2024 models and I think this reaffirms my decision. CTR is def the better car, I will buy CTR for MSRP, but I'm not paying a cent over. I'd rather just buy a 2025 Elantra N instead and save 20 to 30k.

Reactions: 007

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
I just got my Boost Blue type R this week. I previously owned both an Elantra N and a bunch of VWs.

IMG_20230614_205246_917.jpg

20230909_164750.jpg

I thought you guys might like to read a little bit of a comparison.

I'll break down a couple things here; Power, Handling and quality.

As for power, I'll be honest with you guys, the Elantra N is only slightly less powerful. I had a dual clutch N and it was rated at 286hp vs the CTR at 315. Noticeable, but not by much. The Elantra motor was great. The turbo spooled up quick yet held its power up to redline pretty well. It was a car built around the idea of fun and entertainment above perfection while the CTR seems to be a much more mature, serious car. Different philosophy. For example, in the N when you hit the N button on the steering wheel, the display on the digital dash literally turned into a giant, arching fireball as it displayed the tachometer. Totally ridiculous, but hilarious and entertaining. Its theater. Additionally, in N mode, the exhaust was nuts. Not super loud but it was very aggressive. Lift off the throttle at 5k rpm and it sounds like a shoot out is happening behind you. I used to do it under a bridge on my way home from work everyday. Literally sounded like a shot gun going off behind you. Theater.

The N handled pretty well too. It was stiff and direct. The steering feel of the CTR is better though. Its one of those things that's hard to describe however, I just have a better, more direct feel with the steering of the CTR. When you really leaned on the N in the corners its surprisingly good. It does have big anti roll bars, adjustable shocks and big, sticky tire (245 pilot sport 4s) so not far off the CTR. The driving dynamics of the N are impressive, no doubt. I was very pleased with it. Prior to the N I owned and raced a number of GTIs and Jetta GLIs. The N is far more aggressive than a GTI. It felt lower, leaner, faster and much more aggressively tuned. I was quiet happy with my N for a year and a half until I got the itch for more.

Where the N falls apart compared to a Civic Type R is in the build quality. Interior materials were basically junk except for the seats themselves. The infortainment screen was excellent . But the rest of the car was what you would expect. Panel gaps were ridiculous. I couldn't ever figure out if my hood was crooked or the front bumper was but the panel gap between the two was wildly different between the two sides. The headliner material was terrible. It was a scratchy, awful cost savings. There was kind of a lot of those types of things. Coming from a VW GTI that had soft, quality materials and nice little touches, the cheapness of the N was obvious. But it was really fun to drive. It made me laugh and smile a lot.

After just a week with the Type R I have a few observations. None of this will be surprising to anyone here I'm sure.

First of all, the seats! Oh, how I love the seats. They hold you in place as well as the very aggressively bolstered seats in the N, yet they are far more comfortable. The bolsters in the N held you in place really well, but as a 200 lbs guy, they hurt. Literally. There were hard pieces that made the bolsters shape that really dug in. Maybe if you were a 170 lbs you'd love the seats though. Plus, they have a little "N" light in them.

My Elantra N was a dual clutch automatic, so I can't compare the shifter in the N to the R. That being said, the shifter in the R is absolutely fantastic. I've driven many stick shift cars in my life and none of them even compare to the R. The smooth, clean feel of shifting the R is fabulous.

The quality of the rest of the car is also pretty much everything I'd hoped for. Considering its just a civic underneath all the awesomeness, its impressive. My only issue with the car so far is a tiny, buzzing in the A pillar next to my left ear. Aside from that, the R is great.

My ultimate point is this: The civic Type R is a superiour vehicle to the Elantra N. That being said, for the money, the N is fantastic. I paid $36,000 for the N and $48,000 for the R. Big difference in price. If you cant afford a type R, the N is damn near as good for a lot less money. And the aftermarket support for the N is pretty good too.
Nice write up! I want an Elantra N. I test drove one 6 mos ago. They wanted 31k used, and offered only 14k on my trade, so after taxes and trade, it would've cost 20k to upgrade. It's a great car, but there is no way in hell it's $20k better than my Civic.

You nailed it, the N is pure theater. The sound is amazing. The power was just okay. My Hondata tuned Civic Hatch Sport "felt" faster (I know it's probably not, but the throttle response w/ the tune sure makes it feel quick) so that was a big strike. I ended up buying a Borla exhaust and a downpipe and it sounds almost identical to the N exhaust, minus the pops and bangs. However, b/c I saved almost $20k, I'll live!!!

Enjoy the CTR!!!!! Cheers!

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Refreshing to hear some actual honest praise for the Elantra N other than people just saying "lul Hyundai" and bashing on it.
I haven't driven any of the Hyundai performance offerings, but from what I've gathered from online publications, YouTubers, and owners is they're an absolute performance bargain. It has its hang ups, all cars do, but the common motif is you're getting a fun performance oriented car that handles decently, good steering feel in the mid-$30Ks. With that pricing, it feels a lot like 2006, doesn't it?

kev503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 - Past: FK8 Type R, GRC, EN, GR86, M2
I came from an EN with DCT myself, and now a FL5 (with a GR Corolla in between). I agreed that the EN is a great value for what it offers, and I really enjoyed the pops and crackles.

IMO FL5 > EN > GRC

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Iā€™m sure they are a great bargain but I wouldnā€™t be caught dead driving one.

They are probably the ugliest modern car on the market today. The facelift did nothing to make me think otherwise.

Enjoy your new FL5!

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
People love to hate on the EN because it's ugly (fair) and a Hyundai (fair), but I think most people who don't like it probably haven't driven one.

The driving dynamics are great if you like having fun in your car. The car holds up well on track in stock form and gives you a lot of information and confidence. The way the LSD pulls you through corners is something special. The DCT is arguably as good as the one in my '23 RS3. And the interior ā€” while being made mostly of shit materials ā€” gets a lot of things right: good seats (heated!), great steering wheel, plenty of information in the gauges (lookin' at you, ITS), hard buttons for everything, lots of space.

Problems? Hyundai dealers suck (though in my area Honda/Acura isn't much better). The car has a weird octane learning design where it won't always give you full boost. Some people have had problems with the car in heavy rain or after a car wash. I never had any issues over 13K miles between the two I owned (DCT and manual), but enough people have problems in hard rain I'd be spooked from buying one until they resolve this.

I'm know this is controversial, but I like the way the '24 EN looks more than the ITS. I think the design is more cohesive. The CTR is miles ahead of both, though. Please don't get mad at me for having an opinion.

I'd take an MSRP CTR over an Elantra N any day of the week. It is a faster car, the manual transmission is better, it looks and feels miles better, and it has a hatch. But there's something to be said about a cheap (relatively ā€” $34K is still $34K), fun car that does a lot of things well and that you don't have to be too precious with. It's just a Hyundai after all!

AlpineBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I won't go too in depth on my thoughts on the N cars again but I've owned 2 of them and still have a Kona N. I'll just say that the CTR provides a feeling and experience every time I get in it and drive it that I don't get from the Hyundais. Maybe it's just me šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I actually kind of like the looks of the EN. I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s pretty, but it is unique and the carā€™s stance and proportions look better in person than in pics. With that said, Iā€™d buy an Si over an EN all day every day as a relatively low cost, fun, yet practical, car. The Si is simply better overall and a better platform for mods. If Hyundaiā€™s reliability was better (at least for their performance models) I donā€™t think thereā€™d be a whole lot for anyone to (continue) to joke about. It says a lot that we talk about the EN in this forum on a somewhat regular basis. Hyundai has stepped up their game which is great. Competition breeds innovation across the board.

Last edited:

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
Interestingly, it's somewhat similar to my experience with FK8 and VN.
Great cars, but in completely different ways.
Hyundai's 8DCT is just amazing especially with all the fun/silly gimmicks added to it.
(The 6MT was horrible tho. Not even close to what the Type R offers)

Would I buy another N? No, but it has nothing to do with the car.
It's just their brand and dealership (sales, service and even financing) experience.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Iā€™m sure they are a great bargain but I wouldnā€™t be caught dead driving one.

They are probably the ugliest modern car on the market today. The facelift did nothing to make me think otherwise.

Enjoy your new FL5!
Screw Hyundai for not giving us this:

11th Gen Honda Civic Coming from an Elantra N hyundai-i30n-2021-4

And screw Ford for not giving us this:

11th Gen Honda Civic Coming from an Elantra N blobid12

This article actually compares it to the CTR and GTI, says the Focus ST (w/ Track Pack) is more fun on the street, while the CTR has the better engine, steering and shifter.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-features/focus-st-track-pack-vs-civic-type-r-vs-golf-gti/47178

wrxdev13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, FL5 CTR
I test drove the EN before buying the CTR. I was impressed at its capabilities and the value it offers for the price tag. My two complaints with it were the seats being a little too firm for me and the exhaust being comically rowdy.
If the CTR/ITS did not exist, then I would pick the EN over the GRC and the WRX/GTI, 11 times out of 10.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
You must have not seen or ever heard of the BMW XM šŸ˜‚
Sponsored