• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Head to head comparison of “off the shelf” tunes for a stock fl5 coming soon. (UPDATED WITH INTERIM RESULTS)

Backmarker

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
Hi folks,

Just FYI I will be sharing the results of dyno testing of some of the top “off the shelf” tunes on a bone stock 2023 FL5 running on 93 octane pump gas. I will also be sharing my impressions from daily driving with the Different tunes.

In this comparison, I will be testing:
- Factory base map
- Hondata 93 Octane Basemap
- Phearable Stage 2 tune
- Two Step Performance Stage 1 tune

Without giving too much away, I have already run this head to head test once in December only to have both the Two Step and Phearable tunes pull some timing out above 6100 rpm. After talking with the tuners, it looks like a potential gas quality issue (running 93 octane but possibly a bad batch) For the benefit of adding to the knowledgebase here, I am planning on returning to the dyno to rerun the tests with different / better gas and see what the results on the end up being. Results below 6100 rpm looked good on all four tunes (no knock detected, no timing pulled).

Just so folks don’t wonder around potential bias. I have paid out of pocket for the tunes - which were purchased direct from vendors the same as any one would. I am also paying for the dyno time, etc. out of pocket. Nor do I have any sort of side hustle or anything with this. I make my living in banking... i just spend it here :). but I really appreciate this community and the folks who take the time to share learnings and insights. And so I am doing this to give a little back with the community.

Timing wise - I look to get the results up sometime later in January after the holidays. More to come.

- Phillip
Sponsored

Last edited:

Yorkman1

First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type-R #170001
You are the man! I’m currently waiting for my TSP tune to arrive. Hopefully I made a good choice 🤪

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Hmmmmm believe it we I see it....this guy doesn't even have a pic of an fl5..on his profile? Philly?

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TLX Type-S / 2023 Civic Type-R / 2024 HRV EXL
Will be interesting to see these results… the current off the shelf tunes should be rather close.. ( minus Hondata tune ) should see the differences possibly in the midrange but nothing more than a few hp and ftlbs +~- … now drive-ability might be something different and that’s what I want to hear about:thumbsup:
Thanks for talking your time and $$$ to help out the community!:patriot:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Hi folks,

Just FYI I will be sharing the results of dyno testing of some of the top “off the shelf” tunes on a bone stock 2023 FL5 running on 93 octane pump gas. I will also be sharing my impressions from daily driving with the Different tunes.

In this comparison, I will be testing:
- Factory base map
- Hondata 93 Octane Basemap
- Phearable Stage 2 tune
- Two Step Performance Stage 1 tune

Without giving too much away, I have already run this head to head test once in December only to have both the Two Step and Phearable tunes pull some timing out above 6100 rpm. After talking with the tuners, it looks like a potential gas quality issue (running 93 octane but possibly a bad batch) For the benefit of adding to the knowledgebase here, I am planning on returning to the dyno to rerun the tests with different / better gas and see what the results on the end up being. Results below 6100 rpm looked good on all four tunes (no knock detected, no timing pulled).

Just so folks don’t wonder around potential bias. I have paid out of pocket for the tunes - which were purchased direct from vendors the same as any one would. I am also paying for the dyno time, etc. out of pocket. Nor do I have any sort of side hustle or anything with this. I make my living in banking... not spend it here :). but I really appreciate this community and the folks who take the time to share learnings and insights. And so I am doing this to give a little back with the community.

Timing wise - I look to get the results up sometime later in January after the holidays. More to come.

- Phillip
If you are interested in adding another map into the mix let me know.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Hmmmmm believe it we I see it....this guy doesn't even have a pic of an fl5..on his profile? Philly?
I think the pherable tune is going to be itso far......

Yorkman1

First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type-R #170001
If I didn't have family 30 min from TSP I would consider something else but drive there and having it done is kinda a good deal considering i don't have to ship my ecu and wait and such.

Yorkman1

First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type-R #170001
FYI, TSP doesn’t do the unlock. Innovative Motorworks in Carlisle, PA does it for TSP. Just making sure you’re close to Carlisle!

I have the TSP OTS tune and it’s great. The multiple maps are amazing. I run the car in the low boost map and still hit 22psi. High boost I was around 26/27psi if I remember. I have the car stored for winter, but will be getting a dyno tune in the spring.
Yeah I’m close when I’m home 🥰. Thank you for clarification!!!!!

daltonnnn

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR, 2000 ITR, 1994 Del Sol, 2022 Macan GTS
How about the hondata 91 tune for those that can't get 93?

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
How about the hondata 91 tune for those that can't get 93?
It will be similar to 93 oct, just slightly lower numbers. A dedicated tune will be the way to go. You will make more than the 93 hondata map even with 91 oct.
Sponsored