• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP
11GenSonicSi

11GenSonicSi

First Name
Delin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Hmm I might cancel my lifetime oil plan if 0W-20 isn’t good for the engine. I know my mechanic recommended at least 5W-20. He ran 5W-30 but his si was heavily modified.
27WON did a very nice writeup on their website. They are the experts.
20 weight might not be a bad thing and it provides adequate protection under certain use cases. You should choose the desired oil weight based on your needs.
My car falls into WOT 20-40 minutes. Hence the 30 weight. Otherwise I’d just run whatever Honda puts in this engine.
https://www.27won.com/blog/the-great-oil-debate-civicx?format=amp
Sponsored

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
27WON did a very nice writeup on their website. They are the experts.
20 weight might not be a bad thing and it provides adequate protection under certain use cases. You should choose the desired oil weight based on your needs.
My car falls into WOT 20-40 minutes. Hence the 30 weight. Otherwise I’d just run whatever Honda puts in this engine.
https://www.27won.com/blog/the-great-oil-debate-civicx?format=amp
So if I plan on tuning my car with tsp stage 1 I should be running 5W-30?

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
What he's saying is that heavy track use, not a tune, is what requires heavier oil.

Going to the track and having your foot to the floor for "20-40 minutes" is a whole different ball game from having a flash and going WOT for a few seconds on the occasional on-ramp.

OP
OP
11GenSonicSi

11GenSonicSi

First Name
Delin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
PNR weather has been unpredictable recently. But lucky enough got two winter track days in and I think there's enough data to share.

The good stuff:
The car is a riot to drive. With the correct pad compound, there was enough braking power. And the pad consumption was within acceptable range as well. Forgot to mention, the car now can run a 30 minute session without brake cool down. Plus the 10th gen non-Si brake pads are about half the price compared to the 11the gen Si pads.

Here is a video of the car running at Ridge Motorsport Park.

Now the novel:
The Hawk HP+ I bought initially for test fit got blown by pretty quickly after first track day. There was one turn the pad compound overheated in the final lap of a 30 minute session. And there was significant braking power drop. And that was after two consecutive straight line braking. After looking up the compound rating, HP+ is more of a street pad. With this diagram below one can conclude the pads were at around 900F-1000F hottest.
11th Gen Honda Civic $300 Small Brake Kit, Audi RS3 Brake Ducts and ARP Wheel Studs 1676926754931

Note that this diagram belongs to Hawk Performance.

Common pads like Carbotech XP10 and Hawk DTC-60 have a range between 300F-1500F. So with the temperature HP+ went to, one can run track compound pads relatively safely. And I have since changed to DTC-60 compound just to try them out. For now there's only two sessions of use, but looks like they are not gonna get blown by a single track day like the HP+. Pictures below are DTC-60 after two sessions.
11th Gen Honda Civic $300 Small Brake Kit, Audi RS3 Brake Ducts and ARP Wheel Studs IMG_8547.JPG

11th Gen Honda Civic $300 Small Brake Kit, Audi RS3 Brake Ducts and ARP Wheel Studs IMG_8550.JPG

The RS3 brake ducts did help, though not at optimal angle because of sway bar interference. I noticed the brakes were cooled down after a long straight. This is concluded by pedal feel and braking power. It's subjective from my last year experience, when the brakes were overheated, they did not come back nearly as quickly.

Regardless of pad compound, with these single piston floating calipers, when there's 1/3 of less friction material left, the backing plates will suffer from the excessive heat causing them to bend. With the 11th gen Si caliper, when the backing plate is bent, the 'ears' would get jammed in the guides. This will cause significant uneven pad wear on the inside pads. If you track you Si with stock calipers, beware of this issue. Pic below is the HP+ I blew.
11th Gen Honda Civic $300 Small Brake Kit, Audi RS3 Brake Ducts and ARP Wheel Studs IMG_8520.JPG

Running single piston system will always ring a bell in the back of my head that these issues exist. (The more you know...) This is especially not helpful when I push my car to the limit. Maybe not right now, a BBK is on my wishlist. ;)

small

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2013 Subaru WRX STI
Sorry if this question seems redundant. So what is current setup right now?

I am looking for a pretty reliable/goodbrake pads for my first track day next month. I have seen a guy on YouTube that runs the carbotech xp10. Also looking to upgrade brake lines.

OP
OP
11GenSonicSi

11GenSonicSi

First Name
Delin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Sorry if this question seems redundant. So what is current setup right now?

I am looking for a pretty reliable/goodbrake pads for my first track day next month. I have seen a guy on YouTube that runs the carbotech xp10. Also looking to upgrade brake lines.

Oh hey, nice to see you here. That's me last year running ORP.

I have a spreadsheet of current mods in the works. When I get some free time tonight I'll get it done and post it here.

I sent the backing plates to Carbotech so they have all their compound available for our cars. As of today, Carbotech is still the only company that make pads for the 11th gen Si.

Stainless lines are the same deal. No off the shelf kit. 10th gen lines will not work properly in the front without modification. The banjo fitting area is designed differently. Some grinding on the caliper is likely required. Although these are rubber lines, they are pretty good as they are brand new. Run them with confidence.

small

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh hi funny seeing you here as well lol.
So I can use the carbotech xp10 without any modifications right?
I might have to get some custom SS brake lines if there are no OTS ones out.

fan of your videos and keep it up.

OP
OP
11GenSonicSi

11GenSonicSi

First Name
Delin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Oh hi funny seeing you here as well lol.
So I can use the carbotech xp10 without any modifications right?
I might have to get some custom SS brake lines if there are no OTS ones out.

fan of your videos and keep it up.
Yes, their brake pads will fit like stock. No modification required.
High temp brake fluid is a must. I like to use Motul RBF 660. The front axles runs very hot even the best stuff doesn't last long. Make sure to do a full bleed every four five events.
Glad to hear you enjoy watching my videos.

Here is a list of mods on my car.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Incredibly helpful info here @11GenSonicSi, you are a trailblazer for these cars.

Unfortunately I just sold my Si (my situation changed, nothing against the car). Fortunately for others that means I have a full set of unused Carbotech XP10 front/XP8 rear pads. I paid $500 for them, willing to take $375 shipped. Please DM me if interested.

OP
OP
11GenSonicSi

11GenSonicSi

First Name
Delin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Incredibly helpful info here @11GenSonicSi, you are a trailblazer for these cars.

Unfortunately I just sold my Si (my situation changed, nothing against the car). Fortunately for others that means I have a full set of unused Carbotech XP10 front/XP8 rear pads. I paid $500 for them, willing to take $375 shipped. Please DM me if interested.
The economy sucks right now. I’m in a pretty tough spot as well. Not to the point of selling my car yet but getting close. Your next car is gonna be better!
@small was talking about getting pads. This is a smoking deal.

small

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did my first track with the Si. I got the similar setup as the OP (including the RBF660). The pads give me a lot of confidence braking from high speed (from 160 km/h down to ~60 km/h on the main straight). i dont feel the need for the brake ducts yet as i need to learn how to push the car even harder. Hopefully we get some SS brake lines for our cars in the future.

Cheers

lebadge

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si SGP
Yes, their brake pads will fit like stock. No modification required.
High temp brake fluid is a must. I like to use Motul RBF 660. The front axles runs very hot even the best stuff doesn't last long. Make sure to do a full bleed every four five events.
Glad to hear you enjoy watching my videos.

Here is a list of mods on my car.

Have you looked into fast brakes?
I'm currently awaiting my kit from them.. Wilwood's Ultra-light 6 pot caliper/ 13in. Rotor, designed to clear factory wheels no spacer needed. IMO im picking wilwood caliper over 27won.

Your silver coilovers, im not looking for a super low set up, maybe 3/4 or 1in..drop
how do you like them?

OP
OP
11GenSonicSi

11GenSonicSi

First Name
Delin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Yes I actually looked into FastBrakes. There was a 10th gen customer that was quite unhappy.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/two-step-performance-utter-garbage.78353/#post-1183371

Long story short: he ordered it, and it didn’t show up in full until two something months later. Then they had awful communication.
Also recently came upon this video about Wilwood:

I visited 27WON in person 2 days ago. They are really awesome. And I checked out a lot of their products in person. Sounds biased as I just put an order down yesterday for their BBK. It was shipped the same day. The order is out of my own pocket not associated to them in any way.

I like silvers. I think they are bang for the buck performance coilovers. They are on noisy side when daily driving.
The set I have had maybe 10 track days in them already. And I’m doing a 48 state track road trip with them right now.

Telling you all about these not trying to make you sweat about your purchase. I emailed 2SP for their BBK info before as well. Did not get a response.

Have you looked into fast brakes?
I'm currently awaiting my kit from them.. Wilwood's Ultra-light 6 pot caliper/ 13in. Rotor, designed to clear factory wheels no spacer needed. IMO im picking wilwood caliper over 27won.

Your silver coilovers, im not looking for a super low set up, maybe 3/4 or 1in..drop
how do you like them?

Last edited:

lebadge

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si SGP
Yes I actually looked into FastBrakes. There was a 10th gen customer that was quite unhappy.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/two-step-performance-utter-garbage.78353/#post-1183371

Long story short: he ordered it, and it didn’t show up in full until two something months later. Then they had awful communication.
Also recently came upon this video about Wilwood:

I visited 27WON in person 2 days ago. They are really awesome. And I checked out a lot of their products in person. Sounds biased as I just put an order down yesterday for their BBK. It was shipped the same day. The order is out of my own pocket not associated to them in any way.

I like silvers. I think they are bang for the buck performance coilovers. They are on noisy side when daily driving.
The set I have had maybe 10 track days in them already. And I’m doing a 48 state track road trip with them right now.

Telling you all about these not trying to make you sweat about your purchase. I emailed 2SP for their BBK info before as well. Did not get a response.
I see.

Maybe if i was tracking this car, i would be more cautious about this. However, spirited driving, OEM wheel compatibility(HUGE PLUS) thats what slated my decision. This car my never see the track, honestly..It may see autocross.

Not knocking 27won by anymeans, do what you like and what fits your build.. they don't offer fitment with stock wheels besides with a spacer, which im not a fan of.

thanks for sharing that video about the bleeders..haha i will makesure to teflon them
Sponsored