• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any UK people on here?

fkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
How is everybody feeling after watching and seeing the reviews of the FL5 from over the pond? I guess the stick out review is the video done by Throttle House, the FK8 beat the FL5 on a rolling start, 3 times! Are current FK8 owners put off by this?

To be honest, considering the price tag that we are all anticipating I am a little surprised. Even if the FL5 wasnā€™t faster I would have expected it to be on par with the FK8. Sure, around a track the FL5 is likely to beat an FK8 especially over a number of laps. But honestly how many of us do track days here in the UK? Our comparison will be during our day to day drive, and right now based on reviews the FL5 sounds like a more stiffer ride as well compared to the FK8.

Do I still want one? Hell yes, because I would be upgrading from an 10th Gen Civic Sport, the upgrade is substantial for me. But I am intrigued to know those of you already driving an FK8 and was thinking to upgrade. Apart from the exterior and interior the changes seems minimal. Itā€™s the same engine but slightly tuned yet slower than its previous version on a straight if TH video is anything to go by. I think if I owned a FK8 with no interest in track days I would be very happy right now and be keeping it, or at least wait for the refresh of the FL5 and see what improvements have been made.

My perspective have slightly changed with the FL5. Would I like one still? Yes. But I would no longer push my finances hard for it especially if itā€™s going over 40k. I will sit and wait, maybe see what the FL5 refresh will bring in a couple of years time. Hopefully the economy will have settled by then and I would have saved up as well so it wonā€™t hit my finances too hard.
Sponsored

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Depends on the price, I will mod it anyway so the videos of straight line speed are immaterial to me. I will also do 5-7 track days per year so that's where I'll likely see the bigger improvements having a positive effect over my FK8

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
I believe it is on top gear on Sunday night - that should wet the appetite a bit!

BOOSTFAN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, MX5
The ONLY reason for me to swap the FK8 for the FL5 is that its going to be the last manual ICE Type R.

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I believe it is on top gear on Sunday night - that should wet the appetite a bit!
I recognise your user name from one of thre old type R forums. I used to have an FD2 many years ago.

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
I recognise your user name from one of thre old type R forums. I used to have an FD2 many years ago.
Hello mate, that's me. I had 2 FD2s, I now have a manual E46 M3 - one last hurrah for the CTR for me (it won't be as good as my E46 though! šŸ˜œ)

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
My perspective have slightly changed with the FL5. Would I like one still? Yes. But I would no longer push my finances hard for it especially if itā€™s going over 40k.
I'm also having second thoughts of a kind, probably due to the economy but also given the reports of a stiffer ride. If it's up near mid/high 40s then I'll probably drop out.

For what it's worth thought, regardless of performance I'd go FL5 over FK8 purely because I prefer the styling.

FL5TypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Yaris
Apparently the embargo ends after top gear on Sunday. Dealer canā€™t let me know any more info until then. They must know the price already. I imagine they will get a few calls on the Monday after the review

BOOSTFAN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, MX5
My Dealer today said its gonna be Ā£42k - not official.

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I really like the thought of a A45S AMG now as a used car instead, so much bloody performance and that German build quality. I've seen one go round on track when I had my M2C and was mightily impressed. Just not sold on the looks

Beenom

First Name
Moneeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Jazz
Has the TopGear article posted today, just now, inadvertently revealed the pricing? Ā£45k would be madness!

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/to...ew-honda-civic-type-r-ep4-all-new-top-gear-tv

"In episode four of all-new Top Gear TV, Chris Harris puts the new Honda Civic Type R to the test using his patented ā€˜B-Road-O-Matic 3000ā€™, the perfect tool for turning your desolate airfield into a stretch of sinuous B-road. Or, what others would call ā€˜an old tractor and some pots of paint strapped to the cornersā€™. Can the ā€˜FL5ā€™ generation of the famous Japanese hot hatch survive?

And more importantly, how does it compare to hot hatches of old? To help with the latter, Freddie Flintoff pops up in Tolmanā€™s restomod Peugeot 205 GTI as both go for a bit of a skid around in two very different takes on the Ā£45k-ish hot hatch formula."

Yes that Tolman 205 GTI is Ā£45k (scroll down):
https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-review/peugeot/205/peugeot-205-gti-tolman-edition/

Thoughts if we see a Ā£44,495 or some such pricing? I think that's really too much personally.

Last edited:

FL5TypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Yaris
Has the TopGear article posted today, just now, inadvertently revealed the pricing? Ā£45k would be madness!

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/chris-harris-new-honda-civic-type-r-ep4-all-new-top

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-review/peugeot/205/peugeot-205-gti-tolman-edition/

Thoughts if we see a Ā£44,495 or some such pricing? I think that's really too much personally.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/to...ew-honda-civic-type-r-ep4-all-new-top-gear-tv

looks like itā€™s over Ā£40k, Iā€™m out, it will be in the silly road tax group, not worth that

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
looks like itā€™s over Ā£40k, Iā€™m out, it will be in the silly road tax group, not worth that
It was always going to be over Ā£40,000...

But I agree the silly road tax supplement is a big factor.
Sponsored