• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any UK people on here?

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
That's right the i20n is around 25k. My FK8 was 32k in 2019 but the fl5 is gonna be what, 42 to 44k?

My dealer is only expecting 2 and already has a dozen deposits or more.
Who knows, it could be under £40k or more, we are all just speculating at the moment. do you think the i20N is tunable and would be good on track?
Sponsored

Mrwaite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
135i, Saxo VTR , Royal Enfield 650gt
I believe there is some headroom yes.
On track? Sure, I think hyundai prioritised grip over playfulness (fiesta st) I can't see why it wouldn't perform well.
Never done a track day though so perhaps not the best person to ask 🤦‍♂️😣

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I believe there is some headroom yes.
On track? Sure, I think hyundai prioritised grip over playfulness (fiesta st) I can't see why it wouldn't perform well.
Never done a track day though so perhaps not the best person to ask 🤦‍♂️😣
Cheapest new ones seem to be around £26.5k

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
If they have any sense they will keep it under £40k so it stays in the lower tax bracket and attracts/keeps more buyers. As soon as it's above the £40k magic number then it begins to lose buyers in my opinion.

Mrwaite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cheapest new ones seem to be around £26.5k
When I was shopping 6 weeks or so ago they were 23995 for factory order with 3 years free servicing.

In stock cars were around 25.5k depending on colour/bose system/black roof.

Mine was 26.3k but with premium paint, bose (1k of options) and 3 years free servicing for an in stock car.

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
If they have any sense they will keep it under £40k so it stays in the lower tax bracket and attracts/keeps more buyers. As soon as it's above the £40k magic number then it begins to lose buyers in my opinion.
I'm not sure they will care if it's going to be limited numbers. If it was large volume mass produced then I could see sense in that approach

fkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Very good question.

A few things:

The hyundai is smaller (which for me isn't an issue but as you rightly point out the civic is cavernous for families). I never wanted to follow my mates down particularly narrow b roads and lanes etc as they all had clio 200s, ep3s etc! The i20n is usefully narrower.

I do really like the extra mod cons, the heating in particular. It also gives engine temp readings alongside oil temp. Small thing but I can also actually read the oil dipstick unlike the fk8!!

Insurance and mpg are much better. Insurance is about half the price and the mpg is probably 20% better with similar use of throttle. The running cost of luxury car tax also will need to be added in (on the fl5 but not the fk8 of course).

I was a lot more conscious of where I left the fk8 than the i20n.

I always found the fk8 scrabbled for grip in the wet and the i20n actually seems to put its power down better. In the dry i honestly think the i20 corners so damn well, it's unreal.

Some of the issues with the fk8 are resolved with the fl5 (more info in menus, individual mode) but I can't believe what a good car the i20n is for the best part of 20k less!

The exhaust was always naff on the fk8 and the i20n sounds great!

I paid 32k new for my FK8 gt in 2019. The fk8 was truly phenomal for that price and had such a wide range of ability, espicially if you need the room.

Also, if the economy wasn't collapsing I would have gone for the fl5 but I don't think I'd be happy to put up an extra 18k (or c500 a month) above what I'm paying for the i20n to get into one (assuming 43k otr price). The hyundai has 2 years extra warranty and the fact I can potentially sell in 3 years time and offer my buyer 2 years left is fantastic imo.

I also think there are less than 1,000 on the roads at the moment so it's a much rarer car than say, a fiesta st. You also don't mistake it for an i20 n line, whereas there are so many fiesta st lines about aswell.
Great in-depth answer. I just went to have a look on Hyundai's site and actually they do look very nice but as pointed out by someone else the boot will be small. Probably something I would have went for if I wasn't a family man now, and with the potential of the CTR topping over 40K! Mind you there wouldn't be anything holding me back on a FL5 if I was single!

Ulti-Resis

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R GT
I'm not sure they will care if it's going to be limited numbers. If it was large volume mass produced then I could see sense in that approach
You could be right but honestly, I don't believe it is going to be as difficult to get one as it is being made out to be. They will make as many as they can sell ultimately.

Mrwaite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer seemed to suggest that the co2 averages are keeping the sales low. Like suzuki had to severely limit the Jimny and then start selling as a commercial vehicle... And that was only a dinky 4x4!

fkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Yeah, agree. There will be buyers and Honda know this because at the end of the day it's a CTR, and the other thing that it has going for it is it's likely to be the last manual/engine CTR, it will be more of a collectors item if anything. I saw on autotrader a couple of weeks ago a red FK8, with only 9 miles on it selling for £42K, and it's already been reserved. Was actually keeping tabs on it for the price to come down once the FL5 is announced in the UK but obviously there are some crazy people willing to pay for it despite the incoming FL5 that will be of similar price.

Mavis_6963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
My dealer seemed to suggest that the co2 averages are keeping the sales low. Like suzuki had to severely limit the Jimny and then start selling as a commercial vehicle... And that was only a dinky 4x4!
Agree. That was my hypothesis as well.
Sure there is a shortage of chips but considering Japan is making 400 FL5 per month, surely they can ship more to the UK or Europe. The only things to shop from doing so would be related to the carbon or emission regulation imposed by the EU.
Remember back in 2020, Honda had to average the co2 stuff by buying quota from Tesla. I can't exactly recall how the number is being calculated but do recall all the non-hybrid Honda were way beyond the EU limits except the Honda-e. I guess that is the reason why the FL1 will never be imported to Europe. The same theory applies to FL5.

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Yeah, agree. There will be buyers and Honda know this because at the end of the day it's a CTR, and the other thing that it has going for it is it's likely to be the last manual/engine CTR, it will be more of a collectors item if anything. I saw on autotrader a couple of weeks ago a red FK8, with only 9 miles on it selling for £42K, and it's already been reserved. Was actually keeping tabs on it for the price to come down once the FL5 is announced in the UK but obviously there are some crazy people willing to pay for it despite the incoming FL5 that will be of similar price.
I noticed that too, luckily I've got a 2020 plate in red with only 10k miles on it

Mavis_6963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
Just got a message from a closed dealer mentioning the full detail will be released in Jan 2023 :banghead:
I personally think this might be a bit pessimistic as the Top gear review is on the way but still worth mentioning here.

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
Great in-depth answer. I just went to have a look on Hyundai's site and actually they do look very nice but as pointed out by someone else the boot will be small. Probably something I would have went for if I wasn't a family man now, and with the potential of the CTR topping over 40K! Mind you there wouldn't be anything holding me back on a FL5 if I was single!
The i20N is a great car, my friend has one (along with a Lotus Evora), i've driven it and it's awesome! It's a different class of vehicle though and smaller - the CTR equivalent would be the i30N. If you need a smaller car the i20N is the one to get!

I've got an Octavia VRS daily, it's a great family car and surprisingly fun to drive - the FL5 would be be replacing this but it was meant to be an impulse buy! I've got an E46 M3 in the garage for my kicks. I've got a deposit on a Lotus Emira - the launch for this has been a farce and right now Honda is hot on its heels!

Mrwaite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dad is buying an emira and his has just been pushed back to April next year. Iirc he was in the queue quite early and he's getting a 1st edition v6!
Sponsored