• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anybody Considering a Garrett Turbo?

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've seen a bunch of folks go with the "bolt on" turbo upgrades, and in some cases experience failures from these turbos. Seems like the Garrett G23-660 offers a lot more headroom than the bolt on varieties that are basically maxed out in the 500hp range. I looked at the Rampage kit for the FK8 and the components just seem to make more sense...Maybe the biggest detractor is price for most people. Personally I'd prefer to run around 500 HP using a turbo that is capable of 650. That way I'm not stressing those components, and end up with a package that offers better longevity. Thoughts?

https://ffperformance.co/wp-content...vic-FK8-Type-R-Garrett-Motion-turbo-Kit-4.jpg

11th Gen Honda Civic Anybody Considering a Garrett Turbo? 1692880740089
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
No doubt that Garrett makes a great turbo but at over twice the cost it is a hard pill to swallow for most. The R660 is essentially RV6's adaptation of the G25-660 to a K20C1 bolt on turbo. In my opinion these kits make more sense for the more extreme builds when someone is looking for a larger turbocharger than the typical "drop in" upgrades.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
No doubt that Garrett makes a great turbo but at over twice the cost it is a hard pill to swallow for most. The R660 is essentially RV6's adaptation of the G25-660 to a K20C1 bolt on turbo. In my opinion these kits make more sense for the more extreme builds when someone is looking for a larger turbocharger than the typical "drop in" upgrades.
I agree cost wise the drop in turbo’s are hard to beat. My only concern with the drop in turbos is who makes them. I have not seen any manufacturer information on any of the drop ins.

Mimzie2763

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT, 2023 FL5
I agree cost wise the drop in turbo’s are hard to beat. My only concern with the drop in turbos is who makes them. I have not seen any manufacturer information on any of the drop ins.
What about the MHI Stage 2 turbo?

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Would you recommend the MHI over the other options?
Well I can’t speak for other turbos from different vendors since I have not tested them. Just curious of who manufactures the turbo, who do they outsource it to. What I can say about the MHI is that they manufacture OEM turbos so they will hold up extremely well. Really it just depends what you will use it for. If its for more power for the street I think any option will do. For track duty and high stress situations then only time will tell how all of them will hold up. If you don’t track the car I think any one of them would be great options depending on your goals.

what I can say from what I have seen,

I really like the PRL center section can’t comment on anything else since I have not tested it.

RV6 has the best size for a hot side, from a spec standpoint it should be the most ideal one. But as I said have not tested it.

MHI is a manufacturer for oem turbos so quality should be really good.

If I had the social media presence that some youtubers have. I would test them all back to back personally with dyno time to see the pros and cons of each one and actually track test them.
Sponsored