• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone cross shopping a '22 BRZ/86?

Andrewb325

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 SGP Civic Si (delivered!)
I considered it but I chose the Si for a few reasons. 4 usable seats and bigger cargo capacity. ~10 mpg better fuel economy. The Bose audio is also a big bonus. This is going to be my only car, I do a lot of road trips, like being social and having others in the car, and in the end it was practicality that won out. I think day to day the Civic is going to be the better overall pick for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Manual_man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I test drove a new BRZ and it's so small it's like a Miata with a hard top. But it's such a good value, imo.

I'm just not sold yet on the '22 Si as having any improvement in performance over the previous gen. I know it's never been a "numbers" car but I'm waiting for some more reviews with performance metrics to prove it's not a step backwards.

Stealthy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
I test drove a new BRZ and it's so small it's like a Miata with a hard top. But it's such a good value, imo.

I'm just not sold yet on the '22 Si as having any improvement in performance over the previous gen. I know it's never been a "numbers" car but I'm waiting for some more reviews with performance metrics to prove it's not a step backwards.
Tons of them out there and it's pretty much unanimously praised and viewed as a performance improvement in pretty much every metric aside from a negligable loss of ~5hp, which, even then has been proven false on every dyno, comparing to the 10th gen baseline on the same dyno.

OP
OP

Manual_man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Still waiting on the numbers. Hp/tq numbers can be meaningless if it doesn't translate to actual improvements in time.

I'd like to see a full Car & Driver test.

Stealthy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Still waiting on the numbers. Hp/tq numbers can be meaningless if it doesn't translate to actual improvements in time.

I'd like to see a full Car & Driver test.
They're all ready out there on youtube, bud. Lots of baseline dyno tests comparing it to stock 10th.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
I recommend watching some of the better YouTube reviews, like Savage Geese, Smoking Tire, and Topher. They all say it's a blast to drive and has many improvements over the previous Si.

That said, it seems like a pretty easy choice. Do you want a sporty car with four seats and a big trunk, or are you looking for a pure sports car and your don't mind that isn't very practical?

The 86 will be the better pure drivers car but the Si should be a lot of fun with all the practicality of a Civic.

OP
OP

Manual_man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I'm talking about performance times. 0-60, quart ler mile, trap speed, passing etc.

So far I've only seen Motor Trend test numbers and they are disappointing.

Stealthy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
I'm talking about performance times. 0-60, quart ler mile, trap speed, passing etc.

So far I've only seen Motor Trend test numbers and they are disappointing.
Yeah... if you're interested in those things I think you're looking at the wrong vehicle. Civics have always been slow lol. They're just fun to drive and make good noises.

OP
OP

Manual_man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
It's fine if they're slow. I love slow car fast.

But I still want to know if it's slower than 10th gen. Might look at that instead if used prices come down a bit.

Stealthy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
It's fine if they're slow. I love slow car fast.

But I still want to know if it's slower than 10th gen. Might look at that instead if used prices come down a bit.
0-60 its pretty close but the 10th gen beats it by a couple 10ths of a second. Around the track the 11th beats the 10th.

My 8th gen was objectively slower in every conceivable way, but I think 99% of the people on here would agree that the 8th gen was a better driving experience than the 10th. That seems to be what the reviewers share about the 11th gen, that its the most fun to drive since the 8th gen.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
As a Subaru owner I wanted to get a BRZ , but if I ordered one in December I would not get it until July 2022, too long to wait for a car. I went over to my Honda dealer and seen the Blazing Orange Pearl Si sitting in the showroom, and I was driving it 4 days later.

I love the new BRZ, but they omitted the big brake kit option initially and that was a cool option on the previous gen. It may show up on future models though. In our region the BRZ is priced a bit lower than the Si, but not by much. We have seen the new Si makes about the same hp as the BRZ at the wheels - approx. 200 whp - 230 crank. Both interiors are nice, the Si is much more roomy, the rear seats on the BRZ are not that useful for people. So it comes down to styling and FWD vs. RWD. The Si fuel economy will be better.

I have used the safety systems on the Subarus and I like the system on the Honda Civic much better as they use camera and sonar, my Subaru's only use cameras and they don't react the same IMO.
Sponsored

Last edited: