• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Australian Type R Order/Info Thread

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
You're right, I should have said better availability. From what I've read 93 in the US can be hard to find depending on the state so it makes sense to offer a detuned version.
Here we have 98 pretty much everywhere. Or maybe I just really want them to give us the full fat version from Japan!! 😆
Tbh I'm sure power will be fine - but I would not say no to more 😅 Assuming Japan has higher availability of over 100RON, so they have the higher output. Whereas for us they want to prevent knock.
Sponsored

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
Has anyone had any updates? I am hearing cars will be coming in Jan with prices to "start with a 7".
But havent heard this myself from a credible source.
Anything in the 70s is a MASSIVE jump from the FK8 and completley out of touch with both the competition and the price in Japan. It actually makes me angry and I'm a massive Honda fan.

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
My dealer said it was unlikely it will be under 70k on the road.

I told him I'm pulling out if it's too far over 70k driveaway.

Once you get to 80k there are some sensational cars available on the used market.

I recently saw a Giulia Quadrifoglio with under 40,000kms on the clock for $96k. Obviously, it lasted less than two days before it was sold but negotiating that at 90k is a MASSIVE amount of car for the money.

There is also a V8 Lexus GSF calling my name. It's sitting at $85k on Carsales...

What many people think is happening is Honda Australia and Toyota are playing a game of who will blink first. As soon as one releases pricing the other will follow suit. I believe Honda will try and price the CTR above the GR.

I did hear something about October 1 for a CTR pricing announcement but I think that's BS.

I have also seen on this forum that reviews will come out in November.

Again no idea how credible that info is.

However, it's confirmed that Car and Driver in the US already have the car and are including it in their Car of the Year review, being filmed now.

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
My dealer said it was unlikely it will be under 70k on the road.

I told him I'm pulling out if it's too far over 70k driveaway.

Once you get to 80k there are some sensational cars available on the used market.

However, it's confirmed that Car and Driver in the US already have the car and are including it in their Car of the Year review, being filmed now.
70k is insane, even in this market! The dealer I spoke to about cars coming in Jan said there were 700+ coming in the first year. I wish he had of found that piece of paper to confirm!

I agree with you about Honda vs Toyota pricing. I fully expected mid to high 60s given the other models in the line up but 70 grand is taking the piss and opens up a hell of a lot more options as you say!

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The difference in price between the base Civic and the CTR in Japan is about 41 percent.

The base Civic in Australia is $47,400 fixed price drive away including GST.

If we add 41 percent, we get $66,834 drive away.

Then the stealers will write terse emails to the Australian head office all wanting a bigger slice of the desirable car pie. People are not exactly knocking down the doors to get into Honda dealers at the moment so they see this as an opportunity to gouge. I would say 5-10 percent on top.

NOTE - LCT comes into play above $71,849, so they will want to keep the price below that.

My guess is the price will be somewhere between $68990 and $70,990.

Remember that for every dollar above $71849, you pay 33 percent LCT...

Rumour is the global build will be 10,000 cars over the life of the model.

We will be lucky to get 400-500 per year here in Oz.

This is good for any local buyers as the last thing you want is 2000 CTRs running about the place in a market as small as ours. If its rare, all the better for those that got in early.

But...it seems you will have to pay to play...

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
The difference in price between the base Civic and the CTR in Japan is about 41 percent.

The base Civic in Australia is $47,400 fixed price drive away including GST.

If we add 41 percent, we get $66,834 drive away.

Then the stealers will write terse emails to the Australian head office all wanting a bigger slice of the desirable car pie. People are not exactly knocking down the doors to get into Honda dealers at the moment so they see this as an opportunity to gouge. I would say 5-10 percent on top.

NOTE - LCT comes into play above $71,849, so they will want to keep the price below that.

My guess is the price will be somewhere between $68990 and $70,990.

Remember that for every dollar above $71849, you pay 33 percent LCT...

Rumour is the global build will be 10,000 cars over the life of the model.

This is good for any local buyers as the last thing you want is 2000 CTRs running about the place in a market as small as ours. If its rare, all the better for those that got in early.

But...it seems you will have to pay to play...
Its not the dealers setting the fixed price, and the price of the car doesn't impact what they are paid for selling a car. A friend of mine worked at the Honda dealership and left because of this.
Honda Australia are the ones gouging the market, not the dealers.
I agree with your logic on the price vs the normal Civic. I thought the same way. But logic doesn't seem to play a part in their vehicle pricing of late.

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be clear I wasn't suggesting dealers were fixing the price, or setting it or whatever, just that they would be keen for a bigger slice of the pie given this car is sought after. However, the decision on that of course rests with head office.

Last edited:

AL_FL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thought I'd join the conversation to share my experience with the local dealers here in Melbourne.

My local dealer also said he's expecting a $70k+ drive away price, he said the FK8 was priced similar to the Mk 7.5 Golf R, so expect the FL5 to be priced similar to the Mk8 Golf R. I've put down a $1k refundable deposit, and he's saying he should be able to get me a car early next year if I'm not picky about the colour, but I want to hold firm on getting the CW.

On another note, my local Toyota dealer said they are only getting 5 GR Corolla a year, and the order book is already stretched out to 5+ years. He said there will only ever be 1,000 units brought into Australia, and it is a limited production. He said the order book for the GR Yaris should open again next year, and they are already taking $1k refundable deposits for it.

OP
OP
APH

APH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR (FL5), BMW M2C (F87)
Thanks for the info AL_FL5. Definitely feels like dealers are trending towards saying it's going to be $70k plus. I really hope Honda doesn't price it stupidly...

Hopefully, we should get confirmed pricing soon.

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orders open 1 December in Australia - price will be revealed on that day, not before.
Dealer rang today to advise me and ask what colour I want.
That is all the info he has for now! Honda Australia...last with the least, as usual.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Civic Type R LE
If that number ends up being right given they only sold about 1500 FK8s over 5 model years this is a lot more than I was expecting.

Orders open 1 December in Australia - price will be revealed on that day, not before.
I'm still guessing $75k on road. Would love to buy one but I don't want to sell an existing car so it is just too much to justify.

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
AUSTRALIAN PRICING - $72,600 drive away. Demonstrators arrive in February, customer cars after that. Alcantara steering wheel is standard. Orders open 1 December. NO BOOST BLUE for Australia...

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-honda-civic-type-r-price-and-specs/
Interesting. What are your thoughts?
Its not as offensive as I thought, but jeez its hard to cop vs NZ pricing. Is NZ agency also?

Also, where did you see the Alcantara Wheel is standard? Didnt see it in the standard equipment.

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer looked on his spec sheet while he was on the phone to me, and he said..."here it is, black alcantara steering wheel, red stitching".

My thoughts are...
  • Pricing is $2610 too much, but I can cope with that.
  • Ride quality is the main worry.
  • Do I need something this focused as a daily when I have the GT4 as my fun car?
  • I have 13 days to decide whether to proceed.
    I guess its a no lose situation if I proceed and don't like the ride, I can sell it easily, for what I paid for it. But I would give it a couple of months and also look at what options are out there for aftermarket suspension that can deliver a better outcome for daily road use.
The only other cars that interest me are Used Giulia Veloce, New Cupra Formentor VZX with Brembos, Used AMG A45S, Used Lexus GS-F.

nezumi

First Name
John Vilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux
AUSTRALIAN PRICING - $72,600 drive away. Demonstrators arrive in February, customer cars after that. Alcantara steering wheel is standard. Orders open 1 December. NO BOOST BLUE for Australia...

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-honda-civic-type-r-price-and-specs/
my dealer called me today and pretty happy I’ve been allocated champ white. Paper work next month. My 2nd colour of choice was blue but only grey, black and red available which I didn’t want and only 4 units for this batch.
Dealer looked on his spec sheet while he was on the phone to me, and he said..."here it is, black alcantara steering wheel, red stitching".

My thoughts are...
  • Pricing is $2610 too much, but I can cope with that.
  • Ride quality is the main worry.
  • Do I need something this focused as a daily when I have the GT4 as my fun car?
  • I have 13 days to decide whether to proceed.
    I guess its a no lose situation if I proceed and don't like the ride, I can sell it easily, for what I paid for it. But I would give it a couple of months and also look at what options are out there for aftermarket suspension that can deliver a better outcome for daily road use.
The only other cars that interest me are Used Giulia Veloce, New Cupra Formentor VZX with Brembos, Used AMG A45S, Used Lexus GS-F.
What colour have you been allocated? Is 13 days is when you make full payment or is it next year?
Sponsored