• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Australian Type R Order/Info Thread

FL5JR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AW11
Everywhere else FL5 is cheaper than the FK8 LE , for what Aus Honda being doing with the 11th gen civic is really 3-4 more than it should . FL5 just following that trend .

someone on FB aus FL5 group say Aus will not be as limited as other country like Canada , UK and NZ and it will be not lottery .
Thatā€™s some good news for starter .

Hopefully like 1000s FL5 allocation ish is plentyful for AUS Market.

I heard even Canada dealers is doing market ups on add-on?
yeah at least you wonā€™t see that in Aus .
Sponsored

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
my dealer called me today and pretty happy Iā€™ve been allocated champ white. Paper work next month. My 2nd colour of choice was blue but only grey, black and red available which I didnā€™t want and only 4 units for this batch.

What colour have you been allocated? Is 13 days is when you make full payment or is it next year?

White is my allocation too.
13 days is December 1.
On that day you order the car (orders open in the Honda system) and pay a deposit.
No mention yet of how much the deposit is.
Balance payment isn't due until it arrives.
Cost on road is equivalent to 48k usd. Which is higher than the US/Canada price....but...we don't have ADMs....

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
13 days is December 1.
On that day you order the car (orders open in the Honda system) and pay a deposit.
Cost on road is equivalent to 48k usd. Which is higher than the US/Canada price....but...we don't have ADMs....
We just have the manufacturer ripping us off šŸ˜†
If I had to choose one or the other, I'd prefer to pay a mark up to a local dealer than pay overs to a manufacturer that couldn't care less about my local community.
There is over 700 in the first allocation. I'll wait for a test drive before putting down that kind of money on a Civic.

nezumi

First Name
John Vilios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux
13 days is December 1.

Thanks for the info, I already made up my mind and Iā€™m going ahead with the purchase and already got the plates to go with it.
We are still lucky in a way compared to the yanks as theyā€™re paying 100k even 113k AUD because they donā€™t have consumer laws.
I was after a fun reliable sports hatch or more like a sedan and this was it. Even the Renault trophy is going for 75 to 80k so this isnā€™t too bad compared to the comp.

OP
OP
APH

APH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR (FL5), BMW M2C (F87)
Dealer looked on his spec sheet while he was on the phone to me, and he said..."here it is, black alcantara steering wheel, red stitching".

My thoughts are...
  • Pricing is $2610 too much, but I can cope with that.
  • Ride quality is the main worry.
  • Do I need something this focused as a daily when I have the GT4 as my fun car?
  • I have 13 days to decide whether to proceed.
    I guess its a no lose situation if I proceed and don't like the ride, I can sell it easily, for what I paid for it. But I would give it a couple of months and also look at what options are out there for aftermarket suspension that can deliver a better outcome for daily road use.
The only other cars that interest me are Used Giulia Veloce, New Cupra Formentor VZX with Brembos, Used AMG A45S, Used Lexus GS-F.
Quite similar views my end. I would have liked it to come in under 70k d/a, but it's close enough that I'm okay with the price. I was actually worried Honda would be truly stupid and price it in the 75-80k range...

My initial plan was to get a Cupra as this will primarily be a daily for me. But then I decided if I was going to spend 70k on another car it's only worth doing if it's a real cracker of a car and something that feels special. Everything I ever read/saw on the FK8 was that it was the best manual driving experience you could get in a new car under 100k. The reviews of the FL5 suggest this hasn't changed and now it's just no longer so polarising to look at.

Reactions: JBO

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think many people are thinking like us. Retained value will be high as well. If the ride is unliveable I'll sell it. Easy!

Reactions: APH
OP
OP
APH

APH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CTR (FL5), BMW M2C (F87)
Yep exactly.

It's going to be interesting to see how many of the pre-orders get converted to actual orders and then how long it takes to get all of those initial orders filled too.

I.e. Honda are claiming 4000 pre order registrations. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that could result in 4-500 initial orders all being placed in the system on 1 Dec. Especially considering a number of those are ones where people have already put down a deposit. I would imagine the number of cars coming in will be say 50-100 a month? That would suggest 6 months or so to fill those orders placed on Day 1. Even that could be optimistic considering current supply chains and global demand for the car.

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they become common as muck I don't want one. A good car that is scarce is a good thing to have. 500 total for Australia would be ok in my books. But I think we will get 1000 over two years.
If they bring out a final edition and I like the car, I will flip into that.

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
Has anyone received information from Honda?
Not the dealer, Honda Australia. I take it most people here would have signed up to the website experession of interest...?

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There won't be another email from Honda Australia until 30 November (day before orders open) or 1 December (day orders open). If you haven't already had a direct conversation with your dealer I suggest you have one asap. So they know you are a serious buyer.

Bergman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR86
Yep exactly.

It's going to be interesting to see how many of the pre-orders get converted to actual orders and then how long it takes to get all of those initial orders filled too.

I.e. Honda are claiming 4000 pre order registrations. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that could result in 4-500 initial orders all being placed in the system on 1 Dec. Especially considering a number of those are ones where people have already put down a deposit. I would imagine the number of cars coming in will be say 50-100 a month? That would suggest 6 months or so to fill those orders placed on Day 1. Even that could be optimistic considering current supply chains and global demand for the car.
That's crazy you guys are getting so many cars. In Canada the word on the street is they are allegedly giving us only 542 (or 546 I can't remember) over the next 3 years, which is crazy for a market that bought so many FK8's. That would be great if the info was wrong and we were getting as many cars as you guys, but dealer conversations suggest not the case unfortunately.

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
There won't be another email from Honda Australia until 30 November (day before orders open) or 1 December (day orders open). If you haven't already had a direct conversation with your dealer I suggest you have one asap. So they know you are a serious buyer.
Was just curious.
I've spoken to them for months, I know him personally. I've decided to wait for a test drive and if it's everything I hoped then i'll buy one, but not in any rush at the price.

That's crazy you guys are getting so many cars. In Canada the word on the street is they are allegedly giving us only 542 (or 546 I can't remember) over the next 3 years, which is crazy for a market that bought so many FK8's. That would be great if the info was wrong and we were getting as many cars as you guys, but dealer conversations suggest not the case unfortunately.
I've been told 700+ in our first allocation, even if that means the first year it is a huge increase vs how many FK8s were sold in Aus! Again this is someone I know and trust who isn't trying to sell me something and say how exclusive it will be. If anything he thinks I'm crazy for still considering it at the price! LOL
And the 4000 people who registered their interest was not pre-order registrations, they are people who signed up to the mailing list.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Civic Type R LE
I've been told 700+ in our first allocation, even if that means the first year it is a huge increase vs how many FK8s were sold in Aus
Given their sales target is only 900 for the base Civic that is a lot of Type Rs by comparison. Although my dealer alone has over 20 firm $1k deposits ready to go into the system next week so they're a chance of selling them all.

Wonder what impact, if any, being made in Japan has had on the higher Australian numbers?

Bergman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR86
Was just curious.
I've spoken to them for months, I know him personally. I've decided to wait for a test drive and if it's everything I hoped then i'll buy one, but not in any rush at the price.

I've been told 700+ in our first allocation, even if that means the first year it is a huge increase vs how many FK8s were sold in Aus! Again this is someone I know and trust who isn't trying to sell me something and say how exclusive it will be. If anything he thinks I'm crazy for still considering it at the price! LOL
And the 4000 people who registered their interest was not pre-order registrations, they are people who signed up to the mailing list.
I hope you are right and had accurate info. We easily had dealers all across the country with 20+ people on their order lists, sadly no dealer is getting more then a handful of cars over the next 3 years. I guess enjoy the Type R's over there for the rest of us!

FL5ogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Laser
Given their sales target is only 900 for the base Civic that is a lot of Type Rs by comparison. Although my dealer alone has over 20 firm $1k deposits ready to go into the system next week so they're a chance of selling them all.

Wonder what impact, if any, being made in Japan has had on the higher Australian numbers?
I have no doubt initial demand will be high, FOMO in this country is off the charts! šŸ˜†

I honestly think Agency may have contributed to our numbers. Profit stays with Honda and given the mark up is higher than the US (at RRP/MSRP) they would want to sell as many as they can. I would think 700 is about our limit though, manual will put most cross shoppers out.

Just a theory.
Sponsored