• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Back in a Type R!

Evo X

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR, Lambo Huracan Evo, Ferrari 812 GTS
Good afternoon, it’s my first post here. Wanted to introduce myself. Picked up a 24 Sonic Gray Pearl FL5 on Saturday.
11th Gen Honda Civic Back in a Type R! IMG_7836

Had a CW FK8 before. Drove it for 2 years before it was traded in for a 718 Cayman GT4.
11th Gen Honda Civic Back in a Type R! IMG_7880

11th Gen Honda Civic Back in a Type R! IMG_7881

Only done about 40 miles in the FL5 but I’m so glad to have it in the lineup. The seats and shifter are world class. I test drove a new BMW M2 and while it was fast and capable, it felt absolutely soul less compared to CTR. There is a very specific feeling I like in my cars and that X factor is abundant in the new CTR. Also loving the new tech and more mature exterior look. Let me know if there’s any basic mods or QOL settings I need to know.

Here’s the car with some of its stablemates. I’m not an SUV guy so I’m amazed how the CTR can balance practicality and fun.

Huracan Evo AWD

11th Gen Honda Civic Back in a Type R! IMG_7869

812 GTS

11th Gen Honda Civic Back in a Type R! photo oct 24 2023, 16 46 22
Sponsored

OP
OP

Evo X

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this guy is a car enthusiast, could be wrong though.

Congrats! I’d like to know your thoughts on FL5 ownership given your car history.
Thanks!

Big time car enthusiast. I appreciate excellent cars at all levels and across multiple brands. My first car was an Acura TL Type S and I had an Evo 9 and 10 before moving onto fancier things like M cars, GT Porsche, and eventually exotics.

My heart always pines for JDM stuff as that’s what I saw growing up in the 90s and 2000s in car magazines and Fast & Furious films.

I’ll post some more extensive thoughts on the FL5 once I have some miles under my belt. What kind of break in procedure is everyone following? I’m so glad they added an individual mode. What are the preferred settings for street driving? I’ve got steering in sport, suspension in comfort, and +R for everything else.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 21 Porsche Cayman GT4, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
After you drive the GT4 and jump in the R the tech in the Porsche feels like 1996 compared to the R. Hahahaha

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Thanks!

Big time car enthusiast. I appreciate excellent cars at all levels and across multiple brands. My first car was an Acura TL Type S and I had an Evo 9 and 10 before moving onto fancier things like M cars, GT Porsche, and eventually exotics.

My heart always pines for JDM stuff as that’s what I saw growing up in the 90s and 2000s in car magazines and Fast & Furious films.

I’ll post some more extensive thoughts on the FL5 once I have some miles under my belt. What kind of break in procedure is everyone following? I’m so glad they added an individual mode. What are the preferred settings for street driving? I’ve got steering in sport, suspension in comfort, and +R for everything else.
Thanks for sharing. I also grew up in the 90s. Went from ND2 Miata to G80 M3 to this FL5. Oddly enough im happier in the FL5 than I was in the G80, likely due to the nostalgia factor hitting hard when I’m in it.

Next car will be a 911 of some sort but perhaps I’ll just keep the FL5 to maintain my JDM feels.

As for your questions, I’m still under 600 miles but have taken the car to 6,000 rpm a small handful of times after a long warm up.

Preferred settings for street driving seem to lean towards Comfort mode — with that being said, many express interest in converting the active damping module to the one in the Integra Type S as it is significantly softer overall.

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
@Evo X what are your thoughts on the shifter feel between the FL5 and GT4? Any preference one over the other?

OP
OP

Evo X

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sharing. I also grew up in the 90s. Went from ND2 Miata to G80 M3 to this FL5. Oddly enough im happier in the FL5 than I was in the G80, likely due to the nostalgia factor hitting hard when I’m in it.

Next car will be a 911 of some sort but perhaps I’ll just keep the FL5 to maintain my JDM feels.

As for your questions, I’m still under 600 miles but have taken the car to 6,000 rpm a small handful of times after a long warm up.

Preferred settings for street driving seem to lean towards Comfort mode — with that being said, many express interest in converting the active damping module to the one in the Integra Type S as it is significantly softer overall.
I work for Porsche. Will be happy to get you into a 911 when you’re ready! I almost ordered a G80 multiple times and even placed a deposit on M3CS but just couldn’t pull the trigger. Too big and heavy with little feel. Fast af tho.

OP
OP

Evo X

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Evo X what are your thoughts on the shifter feel between the FL5 and GT4? Any preference one over the other?
I daily drove both a 981 and 718 GT4 for a combined 4 years and 30k miles along with a brief stint in 991.2 GT3 6 speed. I’ll say that Porsche GT shifters are probably the closest you can get to Type R but I’ll still give slight edge to Honda. It’s smooth and slick. However I prefer the clutch engagement on Porsche as it’s a little heavier.

OP
OP

Evo X

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After you drive the GT4 and jump in the R the tech in the Porsche feels like 1996 compared to the R. Hahahaha
I couldn’t believe the Type R had adaptive cruise control! What I’ve learned is the more expensive the car, the more you pay for standard features. Wired Apple CarPlay was a $5k option on my 812 GTS and it’s on a tiny low res screen. Cupholders are an option on Huracan and they suck! I had to use an aftermarket iPod to Bluetooth adapter on my 458 Italia and the center JBL speaker blew out because my friend called me and spoke too loud. Lmao

walnut

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R CW
Awesome collection, really love the blue on your gt4!

As far as basic mods go can't go wrong with some type of guard for the front fender vents to avoid some potential rock chips, I went with the Alplus Aero Guards. I also really love my Acuity shifter base bushings and shifter cable bushings, the base bushings really tightened up the feel of the shifter and the shifter cable bushings give a slightly more confident action when pushing the shifter into gear. There are a couple options besides Acuity of course too.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Nice. Would love to pick up some exotics for myself down the line but not sure how long I can keep my car enthusiasm alive. Glad to see you are keeping it going and enjoying.

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
I work for Porsche. Will be happy to get you into a 911 when you’re ready! I almost ordered a G80 multiple times and even placed a deposit on M3CS but just couldn’t pull the trigger. Too big and heavy with little feel. Fast af tho.
I had a G80 xdrive on order until I test drove one. It didn't do it for me, but I drove the 6MT version and loved it and ended up getting one. I still have my G80 6MT and it pairs well with my FL5! I am now looking for a base 992.

The best shifter I ever felt was the one on my s2000. It's sublime!

jets-do-miami

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None - shopping for fl5
I couldn’t believe the Type R had adaptive cruise control! What I’ve learned is the more expensive the car, the more you pay for standard features. Wired Apple CarPlay was a $5k option on my 812 GTS and it’s on a tiny low res screen. Cupholders are an option on Huracan and they suck! I had to use an aftermarket iPod to Bluetooth adapter on my 458 Italia and the center JBL speaker blew out because my friend called me and spoke too loud. Lmao
the fl5 cruise control is great, though self-steering cuts off at a high speed threshold, on hwy it practically drives itself // did miami - st augustine in torrential rains in dec, & rock solid while other vehicles hydroplaned, saw several crashes on 95.

Manettino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R, 2019 Cayman GTS
Definitely better than the one on my GTS. The Honda's shifter is smoother and less notchy, which is something that I prefer. I think the Porsche clutch pedal is much heavier and has better feel though, could just be me.

50Cal_Actual

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CW FL5
I’m so glad they added an individual mode. What are the preferred settings for street driving? I’ve got steering in sport, suspension in comfort, and +R for everything else.
Individual mode has been wonderful. As I'm still in my break in period, my individual setting has basically everything set at comfort with the exception of the gauges set at +R.
Sponsored