• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bose Audio System - Music Files on USB

PMDMN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I have a boatload of FLAC audio files that I was looking forward to listening to in my new Si. The manual (pp. 325 - 327) makes no mention of formatting requirements for USB sticks. The current default format for most USB sticks of any size is exFAT though sometimes NTFS is used. I tried three different USB sticks of various sizes and vintages that I had laying around - (1) an old 4GB sandisk cruzer; (2) a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer Glide of unknown vintage; (3) a new 128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro. The Bose system would not recognize any of them when they were formatted in exFAT or NTFS. The Bose system would recognize the 4GB and the 128GB stick when formatted as FAT32. It wouldn't recognize the 32GB stick in any of the three formats. So, I conclude that it is unlikely that one can play music files on the Bose system unless your usb device is in the FAT32 format. It might also be the case that some usb devices won't work even in a FAT32 format.

FAT32 is something of an antique. If you have a relatively large usb stick, Windows won't offer FAT32 as a formatting option. However, there are a number of formatting tools available online. I used this free software product. https://www.diskpart.com/free-partition-manager.html This software package contains a utility that will convert an NTFS formatted usb stick to a FAT32 usb stick. So, I started with a 128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro with it's default exFAT formatting. I then used the built in Windows formatting utility to reformat it as NTFS. Finally, I used the software package to convert it from NTFS to FAT32.

The interface works though it's a bit clunky and there are some odd glitches and anomalies in the indexing. However, all the music files are there and available to listen to. I'd love to learn that all of this hassle was unnecessary and that if I'd only purchased another brand usb stick exFAT would have worked fine. Any other insight or wisdom providing a simpler or more elegant solution to the problem is welcome.

11th Gen Honda Civic Bose Audio System - Music Files on USB fat32
Sponsored