• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Canadian dealer asked what colour Type R I want

sam3r_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
lol you're absolutely right, these guys are probably loving life and breathing easy.

As far as I can tell its the same SGP, but the FL5s front and rear, IE grills, tailights and curves really strike a better balance with the colour I think. I cant really put my finger on it, but the FL5 is def more of a head turner than the SI, at least IMO.
Maybe I'm just biased to the hatchback.
I see thanks, yeah I feel what you're saying it's really those thick hips and the black accents the simple but aggressive design ... I have been resisting going to look at any FL5s in person or even test drive FK8 4 years ago... just because I don't want any biased or pre-conception about anything.... if and when I get the FL5 I want it to wow and truly be the first time i see it drive it and all that (but that's jsut me) i know a few of the guys here went out to check a few and i was so tempted as well
Sponsored

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Still curious to hear about @POPNTEC experience. Finally got to see an SGP FL5 in person and, I have no clue what trickery or magic is built into these things, but pictures DO NOT do the FL5 or SGP justice at all, it's an absolutely gorgeous machine. I dont think anyone can go wrong with any colour.
lol I know same, give them some time, must be enjoying the FL5 right now šŸ˜…
how was the SGP is it identical to the 11th gen Si in SGP or different

and thanks for this feedback makes me content with any of the 3 colors to then work out a good wheel color to go along with
Haha! I was enjoying it today for like ten minutes then it snowed. I brought it home Saturday afternoon then it snowed Saturday night! So no driving yesterday. Today the roads were good enough for a spin so I took it out. My initial impression is that this thing is 100% a track weapon first. I only gave it about 3/4 throttle on my way home and I was doing 120 in a 60 in a flash!

So hereā€™s the deal, back in January I went to Honda and put a deposit. At the time I was 3rd on the list. I returned to the dealer in April and the second guy bailed and the first was on the fence. I went back a third time in June and I was first. So much so that my dealership has a board with all the peoples names and what vehicles they have deposits on. My name was second on the board, the guy ahead of me was waiting for a CRV.

As time went on Iā€™d call every month or so and like everyone else no one has any info. However I started to get a little impatient and was looking at potentially buying something in the midterm. So much so that I was calling the sales manager and giving him the VINā€™s so that he could give me an idea of what I could trade it into them for when the FL5 came in.

This is the part where Iā€™m getting salty over. On both occasions, once with the sales manager and the second with the GSM/owner they told me to wait and be patient and that the car is worth the wait. Ok fine Iā€™ll wait.

Then about the time the whole lot lottery stuff came into question in Canada I panicked and went back the last time. I spoke with the GSM again and he again told me to be patient and that I should not believe everything I read online and that he guaranteed me Iā€™d see one before years end. Fine, Iā€™m still being patient and in no way in doubt that Iā€™m going to get screwed out of my place in line.

Then Honda finally dropped the car and people on the form stared mentioning that they were getting calls from there dealerships and signing deals or giving stripes to Honda Canada. Still nothing from my dealer. I text the salesman no responseā€¦now Iā€™m super suspicious that Iā€™ve been cut out. The last time I spoke with my salesman he asked me for the second or third time if I had a trade in.

I know this is long but you guys asked for it!šŸ˜‚

So now Iā€™m m thinking that they are cutting me out cause I donā€™t have a trade in which is making me seethe because twice I was trying to buy something to trade to them and they told me to be patient.

So yeah weeks ago I called my salesman and was fairly heated and said I want to know what the hell is going on because everyone seems to have information but you guys and cars are being delivered! He said he would call me back.

About an hour later the GSM calls me and says they are only getting 4 and that he doesnā€™t know when. Iā€™m like fine I want to come in and sign the deal so I know it my and I can sleep at night. He says thatā€™s not a problem and heā€™ll call me tomorrow. Of course no call comes.

So I told my wife that they flaked out on me and that I guess Iā€™ll start shopping for something else.

Saturday in sitting on my couch minding my own and the phone rings and itā€™s Honda. Manager says they have a Type R and itā€™s ready to deliver and that the guy who was supposed to buy it couldnā€™t get the money. I told him consider it sold! I drive to the dealership and was home in two hours with the car!

The whole point is that they did pull the rug out from underneath me after waiting 10 months with my deposit and telling me not to buy the interim cars. In the end I win cause I have the car but it kinda tainted the buying process and experience.

Im already over it but Iā€™m really disappointed that Iā€™m not the only one whoā€™s getting played by there dealers. Mine is a happy ending but others wonā€™t be as fortunate as I was.

so there it is my 2023 Civic Type R ownership journeyā€¦.

I wonder if anyone will get to the end of this post!šŸ˜‚

KidIcarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FXT
Haha! I was enjoying it today for like ten minutes then it snowed. I brought it home Saturday afternoon then it snowed Saturday night! So no driving yesterday. Today the roads were good enough for a spin so I took it out. My initial impression is that this thing is 100% a track weapon first. I only gave it about 3/4 throttle on my way home and I was doing 120 in a 60 in a flash!

So hereā€™s the deal, back in January I went to Honda and put a deposit. At the time I was 3rd on the list. I returned to the dealer in April and the second guy bailed and the first was on the fence. I went back a third time in June and I was first. So much so that my dealership has a board with all the peoples names and what vehicles they have deposits on. My name was second on the board, the guy ahead of me was waiting for a CRV.

As time went on Iā€™d call every month or so and like everyone else no one has any info. However I started to get a little impatient and was looking at potentially buying something in the midterm. So much so that I was calling the sales manager and giving him the VINā€™s so that he could give me an idea of what I could trade it into them for when the FL5 came in.

This is the part where Iā€™m getting salty over. On both occasions, once with the sales manager and the second with the GSM/owner they told me to wait and be patient and that the car is worth the wait. Ok fine Iā€™ll wait.

Then about the time the whole lot lottery stuff came into question in Canada I panicked and went back the last time. I spoke with the GSM again and he again told me to be patient and that I should not believe everything I read online and that he guaranteed me Iā€™d see one before years end. Fine, Iā€™m still being patient and in no way in doubt that Iā€™m going to get screwed out of my place in line.

Then Honda finally dropped the car and people on the form stared mentioning that they were getting calls from there dealerships and signing deals or giving stripes to Honda Canada. Still nothing from my dealer. I text the salesman no responseā€¦now Iā€™m super suspicious that Iā€™ve been cut out. The last time I spoke with my salesman he asked me for the second or third time if I had a trade in.

So now Iā€™m m thinking that they are cutting me out cause I donā€™t have a trade in which is making me seethe because twice I was trying to buy something to trade to them and they told me to be patient.

So yeah weeks ago I called my salesman and was fairly heated and said I want to know what the hell is going on because everyone seems to have information but you guys and cars are being delivered! He said he would call me back.

About an hour later the GSM calls me and says they are only getting 4 and that he doesnā€™t know when. Iā€™m like fine I want to come in and sign the deal so I know it my and I can sleep at night. He says thatā€™s not a problem and heā€™ll call me tomorrow. Of course no call comes.

So I told my wife that they flaked out on me and that I guess Iā€™ll start shopping for something else.

Saturday in sitting on my couch minding my own and the phone rings and itā€™s Honda. Manager says they have a Type R and itā€™s ready to deliver and that the guy who was supposed to buy it couldnā€™t get the money. I told him consider it sold! I drive to the dealership and was home in two hours with the car!

The whole point is that they did pull the rug out from underneath me after waiting 10 months with my deposit and telling me not to buy the interim cars. In the end I win cause I have the car but it kinda tainted the buying process and experience.

Im already over it but Iā€™m really disappointed that Iā€™m not the only one whoā€™s getting played by there dealers. Mine is a happy ending but others wonā€™t be as fortunate as I was.

Made it to the end, I laughed, I cried, I clenched a fist, but overall congrats and happy you got to see the happy ending. I totally remember following your journey in bits and pieces throughout the forum, I think in the deposits/pre order thread, must've been quite the roller coaster ride.
It kills me that you were 1st in June and still ended up only getting your hands on it, cause "the guy who was supposed to buy it couldn't get the money" WTF!?

That's what worries me the most, dealers taking deposits and just taking the highest bidder+trade in, or whatever it ends up being, makes me paranoid as hell LOL.

Oh are you able to divulge the dealer? province?

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Made it to the end, I laughed, I cried, I clenched a fist, but overall congrats and happy you got to see the happy ending. I totally remember following your journey in bits and pieces throughout the forum, I think in the deposits/pre order thread, must've been quite the roller coaster ride.
It kills me that you were 1st in June and still ended up only getting your hands on it, cause "the guy who was supposed to buy it couldn't get the money" WTF!?

That's what worries me the most, dealers taking deposits and just taking the highest bidder+trade in, or whatever it ends up being, makes me paranoid as hell LOL.

Oh are you able to divulge the dealer? province?
Haha! Thanks for reading. I didnā€™t realize how long the post was until I sent it.

My guess is that they bumped me because of the trade in. Iā€™m purely speculating but I could see a scenario where they were trying to fleece the guy on his trade in and he bailed.

Iā€™d rather not divulge the location or dealer as Iā€™d really like to just move past the buying process and get on with the ownership part. All the people I dealt with there are actually pretty cool people, itā€™s all just part of the game in the end. Like I said above, Iā€™m just greatful I have the car and technically he was right, I have the car before years end!šŸ˜œ

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5-17224, ITR 01-1189, Elise, E61, 190E 2.3-16

Congrats! Did you have to pay over MSRP?

sam3r_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
that's really interesting, first thanks for sharing your experience with us, I do recall bits and pieces specially around the msrp release date end of October.... i think all of us here in Canada were freaking out seeing the US folks tracking shipments and being handed vins and it's just crickets over here
well congrats and really happy for your happy ending
like you said it's a game they are playing, but at least these guys showed you a board with names so that is a sign there is some integrity even though it did sound like you were about to lose it to someone with a trade in
but this helps us understand what we make of things when we interact with dealers
still haven't spoken to any gm or sgm as floor managers have a way to tell me to be 'patient' lol
funny how pre covid buyers used to negotiate deals to convince buyers to buy, now, buyers are negotiating deals with dealers to even just sell lol
like my 2015 accord i got mats tints and door sills for free as part of the deal... good ol days i guess

Use20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R

Congrats!
I think there is MORE THAN 17 FL5 show up in Canada! From Facebook & hereā€¦ā€¦
I wonder how many unit do we haveā€¦ā€¦..

Bergman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR86
Haha! Thanks for reading. I didnā€™t realize how long the post was until I sent it.

My guess is that they bumped me because of the trade in. Iā€™m purely speculating but I could see a scenario where they were trying to fleece the guy on his trade in and he bailed.

Iā€™d rather not divulge the location or dealer as Iā€™d really like to just move past the buying process and get on with the ownership part. All the people I dealt with there are actually pretty cool people, itā€™s all just part of the game in the end. Like I said above, Iā€™m just greatful I have the car and technically he was right, I have the car before years end!šŸ˜œ
I 100% think that's what they're doing, if they can't get over msrp like the states can, they are trying to double dip on the finanicing/leasing with peoples trade ins.

The dealer I "have" a BOS for and am "supposedly" number 4 on their list of 6 basically told me because I have a 2022 trade in, they bumped me higher up the list. Well that is what the sales man told me, then once I went over his head to the sales manager, he told me I was 4, while the other guy was trying to tell me I was 2. So I don't know if I actually got bumped or not, but it's a rollercoaster none the less.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
I 100% think that's what they're doing, if they can't get over msrp like the states can, they are trying to double dip on the finanicing/leasing with peoples trade ins.

The dealer I "have" a BOS for and am "supposedly" number 4 on their list of 6 basically told me because I have a 2022 trade in, they bumped me higher up the list. Well that is what the sales man told me, then once I went over his head to the sales manager, he told me I was 4, while the other guy was trying to tell me I was 2. So I don't know if I actually got bumped or not, but it's a rollercoaster none the less.
dealers are also kinda low in inventory as well...some dealers are less than 1/2 stock these days. So dealers will always look to "double dip".

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR

Itā€™s literally like winning a lottery. I knew back in January that there was a good chance these were going to be hard to come buy strictly from a supply chain standpoint hence why I put a deposit down so early.

With any luck you will slide up the line because of your trade in. Just donā€™t lose sleep over it. Funny thing is that once I came to grips with the fact that they werenā€™t being honest with me I let it go, I wasnā€™t happy about itšŸ¤¬ but I let it go and I got the call a few days later.

Bergman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR86
Itā€™s literally like winning a lottery. I knew back in January that there was a good chance these were going to be hard to come buy strictly from a supply chain standpoint hence why I put a deposit down so early.

With any luck you will slide up the line because of your trade in. Just donā€™t lose sleep over it. Funny thing is that once I came to grips with the fact that they werenā€™t being honest with me I let it go, I wasnā€™t happy about itšŸ¤¬ but I let it go and I got the call a few days later.
I had a deposit down November 2021 and then I saw the regular hatch with the factory wing on it and holy shit does it look bad and awkward so it turned me right off of the car. Unfortunate as I likely would have had one by now. I ended up with a GR86 which has been great, but once seeing the car without the wrap I knew I wanted it.

But now we wait and I'll just continuing to enjoy the GR86 for the mean time, if a type R shows up for me next year, sweet, if not, C'est La Vie.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
@Bergman
I like the GR86. To start out with I was actually shopping hard for a 2008-2010 Cayman S. I wanted to spend between 25-35k only because it was literally just going to be a side bitch for me. Then the prices of Caymans started getting out of hand! 30k cars were being relisted every few weeks in five grand jumps! One car I followed just kept re posting the same pictures with a higher price. It went from 34k to 58k in like 6-8 months! At that point I was like if Iā€™m spending that kind of money Iā€™d rather just buy new and get a warranty.

Back to the GR86 though. I was highly considering giving one a go but once I started polluting my wifeā€™s mind with the Civic(we have a history of them) she kinda had her heart set on one as well. Also we have two kids to think of and the GR86 and the Cayman would have seriously limited our use to basically a grocery getter.

kopite44

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si
Congrats!
I think there is MORE THAN 17 FL5 show up in Canada! From Facebook & hereā€¦ā€¦
I wonder how many unit do we haveā€¦ā€¦..
To be honest a lot of the same users/cars are posted on FB, this forum, YouTube, Insta, etc.

Bergman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR86
@Bergman
I like the GR86. To start out with I was actually shopping hard for a 2008-2010 Cayman S. I wanted to spend between 25-35k only because it was literally just going to be a side bitch for me. Then the prices of Caymans started getting out of hand! 30k cars were being relisted every few weeks in five grand jumps! One car I followed just kept re posting the same pictures with a higher price. It went from 34k to 58k in like 6-8 months! At that point I was like if Iā€™m spending that kind of money Iā€™d rather just buy new and get a warranty.

Back to the GR86 though. I was highly considering giving one a go but once I started polluting my wifeā€™s mind with the Civic(we have a history of them) she kinda had her heart set on one as well. Also we have two kids to think of and the GR86 and the Cayman would have seriously limited our use to basically a grocery getter.
I came from a Focus RS before. I wanted a Type R when I bought that car, but it just didn't happen. Then again when I bought this car I did as well. I too have a pretty long history of civics. Thankfully no kids so I could justify the "2" seater at this time. The GR is great fun, I just find it a little slow coming from a fbo Focus RS, but it's a completely different driving experience and I have no regrets. I just saw how limited these FL5's are and the fact that it will likely be the last Gas only CTR, so I had to have one. They are making enough GR86/BRZ I know I could pick one up in 5-10 years if the itch is still there for a cheap rwd car, where I don't see the FL5 losing too much value. Either car is a weekend/sunny day car as well so I'm not too worried about the seating for kids down the road, but I agree it is nice to have the extra space if you need it
Sponsored