• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Clunking sound from transmission area shifting at low speeds

haydooooooo

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
So i have around 500 miles on my 22 Civic Si and i’ve been following the standard break in procedure. At around 350 miles, i have noticed a clunking sound coming from under the shifter/under the dash when i shift from 1-2 and 2-3 (at low speeds).

I couldn’t find anything on this on 11th gen forums, so i looked into 10th gen forums and people seem to have a similar issue with their 10th gen manual transmissions.

Reference: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/occasional-“clunking”-noise-from-clutch.27883/

Some are saying its trying to take it out of gear while the clutch isn’t fully suppressed, some are saying its the brake hold system interfering with the clutch… but it seems like its a normal thing for 10th gens at least.

Has anyone else experienced or been experiencing the same thing in their 11th gen manual transmissions?
Sponsored

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR, 14 Ridgeline
Interesting. We have not had any issues like this with our 11th gen Si. To be fair we also have our upgraded RMM in the car as well.

OP
OP
haydooooooo

haydooooooo

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Interesting. We have not had any issues like this with our 11th gen Si. To be fair we also have our upgraded RMM in the car as well.
I see, thank you for the reply. I can’t seem to exactly pinpoint what part is making the sound, so i’ll be experimenting more with that

crgonza19

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
The same thing happens to me when going into mainly 1,2,3rd gear. Figured it was normal. No problems with my transmission so far. Also, I have 5,000 miles on my car and it's still does it.

OP
OP
haydooooooo

haydooooooo

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
The same thing happens to me when going into mainly 1,2,3rd gear. Figured it was normal. No problems with my transmission so far. Also, I have 5,000 miles on my car and it's still does it.
I see, good to know my Si isn’t the only one doing it. And yeah, I think its nothing more than just a little “quirk” with this transmission, just a sound that you can occasionally hear if youre driving around without music and at low speeds

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I have heard that sound before, and it is normal, I can't say what causes it but it just depends on the timing of the shift and rpms , nothing abnormal. I have heard it on other Hondas too.

OP
OP
haydooooooo

haydooooooo

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
I have heard that sound before, and it is normal, I can't say what causes it but it just depends on the timing of the shift and rpms , nothing abnormal. I have heard it on other Hondas too.
Gotchu, good to know that its normal.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Gotchu, good to know that its normal.
It has something to do with the differential speeds of the shafts in the tranny if I recall, not 100% sure of the explanation but it happens with other trannies I've had.

kanav

First Name
Kanav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si Black
Happens on mine too since day 1, at 8000km now same thing
Sponsored