• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cold winter storage of Type R and PS4 tires?

mbraun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
So if I get my Type R in Dec, as rumoured. I am actually nervous because it will be cold and even with trailering it to my house, the tires will be very cold. So there is my first dilemma.

SEcond dilemma. If I get it into my garage, which can get about -10c in the winter as coldest. the options I see on then net seem to be:
a) pump them to 40psi and have the car sit there til +10 comes back in spring
b) put the car on jack stands (but some say that wrecks the suspension)
c) put the car on jack stands but take rims off and store inside. (same concern about suspension)
d) get another set of rims/ tires and take ps4 off and store inside. (but what rim would be big enough to clear brakes?

Any solid evidence that one is better than the other, or what are others doing in colder NA states or Canada?
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
1. Trailering it to your house isn’t a problem. Not sure why it would be. The tires can handle being cold. What they can’t handle is being cold and under filled while being driven on. You risk cracking the side walls.
2. Do not unload the suspension by putting the car on jacks. You’re correct. This will mess up the suspension.
3. This is what you do…
https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...he-ground-bye-until-spring.52793/#post-876780

OP
OP

mbraun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Thanks for the insight. I was worried that driving with it in a cold trailer, then driving it out into my garage might be enough to hurt the tires. With regards to your link; are you suggesting a) getting the roll around wheel dollys or the cover or both? I have a generic cover but I also a double deep part of my garage that doesnt get any water dripping from the garage door opening.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
If you don’t need the cover, don’t get it.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Winter hibernation minus the bubble wrap that's my OCD shining through..lol and the cover, and its been a week and I want to say fuck it...and drive...
11th Gen Honda Civic Cold winter storage of Type R and PS4 tires? 20231120_152750

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Just a data point, but I've kept the CTR (20 inch wheels with shorter sidewall tires) from around December to around April (with possible occasional drives in between if a thorough rain washes away the salt) just sitting in the garage with around 40psi, and never had issues with flat spots or tire cracks. On track to run 25k miles on the stock Continentals. But then again, I'm on Long Island and it may not get as cold as some other areas people live in.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Yes I'm In the midwest Chicagoland area....I've left tires on the concrete in the garage,and they didn't work out .

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2024 Honda Civic Touring
Here's what Tire Rack has to say about it:

Like the motorsports tires they have evolved from, all Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires feature constructions and compounds that have been tuned to maximize traction and performance within a range of warm-to-hot ambient temperatures. Therefore, unlike less highly tuned tires, these types of tires must only be operated in and stored at temperatures consistent with their thoroughbred characteristics.

In addition to normal tire storage recommendations, Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires require supplementary storage procedures be followed to prevent tire compound cracking due to exposure to cold temperatures.

11th Gen Honda Civic Cold winter storage of Type R and PS4 tires? 20231120_152750

While these recommendations are general guidelines offered by Tire Rack, selected tire manufacturers may have additional specific recommendations applicable to their tires. Follow the tire manufacturer's recommendations whenever available.

It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.

Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
Sponsored

Last edited: