• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Controlling Knock Control

imcrspy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
So Vincent made a great post explaining Knock Count and Knock Control and the base 1.5T ecu just not playing ball at higher rpm + boost levels. So I was wondering if there was a way to combat that rise? I'm already running E40 blend and tuned by DRob but regardless hard driving will always start raising my knock control. I'm pretty much ready to part out my FK7 which I love and trade it in for an Si. I'd hate to do that but it really kills the fun when all of a sudden i'm just losing power gradually and the harder I push the more power I lose. Is there a way to modify the ecu parameters so KC is less sensitive?
Sponsored

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
I imagine he left it there for protection. You could discuss it with him. A large number of these ECUs already have the sensitivity tables available.
Drob said base 1.5t ECUs force the rise of knock control past 5xxx RPM no matter how you try to avoid it.

OP
OP
imcrspy

imcrspy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
I've had to change the way I drive to make sure KC keeps down. I've been shifting sooner which totally defeats the purpose of me having the VitViper turbo that lets me hold power until redline lol. And I try not to WOT under 3k rpm because of fear of destroying my rod. The ECU KC is the main reason i'm contemplating parting my car out and trading it in for an Si or Type R, even tho I love my build.

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ā€˜17 Hatch EX
So Vincent made a great post explaining Knock Count and Knock Control and the base 1.5T ecu just not playing ball at higher rpm + boost levels. So I was wondering if there was a way to combat that rise? I'm already running E40 blend and tuned by DRob but regardless hard driving will always start raising my knock control. I'm pretty much ready to part out my FK7 which I love and trade it in for an Si. I'd hate to do that but it really kills the fun when all of a sudden i'm just losing power gradually and the harder I push the more power I lose. Is there a way to modify the ecu parameters so KC is less sensitive?
I know thereā€™s not too many good tuners out there right now for the civic X. But in my experience, DROB does not even know how to do simple math...as seen in some threads about the upgraded turbo. Yeah he might make your car go faster and not have you blow your engine right away. But I would NEVER pay for a tune from him :dunno:

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
I know thereā€™s not too many good tuners out there right now for the civic X. But in my experience, DROB does not even know how to do simple math...as seen in some threads about the upgraded turbo. Yeah he might make your car go faster and not have you blow your engine right away. But I would NEVER pay for a tune from him :dunno:
Just curious can you elaborate

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan

So... why are you the very first person i've ever seen make this sort of comment towards him, when everyone else who has his tune has 0 complaints?

Interesting. Seems biased to be honest, not sure why you would say that here.

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious can you elaborate
Obviously thereā€™s going to be a good and a bad to every single thing out there. Iā€™ve just read some threads about people having issues with their tunes. And there was one thread I responded to about a dyno chart with an inflated tcf value of 1.25 Drob had posted the converted HP To a Tcf value of 1. He had not converted correctly. I do understand there are people out there that are good with things and some that not so good. IMO I would not want a tune from someone who isnā€™t proficient in ratios, as they are involved with calculating parameters.
So... why are you the very first person i've ever seen make this sort of comment towards him, when everyone else who has his tune has 0 complaints?

Interesting. Seems biased to be honest, not sure why you would say that here.
I was reading this thread and wondering why someone else isnā€™t having the best luck with a tune. So I started a conversation! Iā€™m sorry if it came off in a wrong tone, Iā€™m not trying to bash or change opinions

Last edited:

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 RSX-S, '18 NSX, '21 TLX-S, '22 RDX ASpec
I'm sorry you feel this way, @ryanfk7 . The fact remains that I have tuned more of these cars than anyone in the world at this point (there are literally thousands of CivicX/AccordX models using my calibrations, by no stretch of figure).

@imcrspy , as KTuner mentioned, I do have access to knock sensitivity tables, but is the juice worth the squeeze? You have a stock FK7 engine (the least durable of all L15's, it seems), operating at a much-elevated power level. The factory knock sensitivity isn't a bad thing when it comes to keeping the engine alive.

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
And who told you your opinion is relevant;)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
I know thereā€™s not too many good tuners out there right now for the civic X. But in my experience, DROB does not even know how to do simple math...as seen in some threads about the upgraded turbo. Yeah he might make your car go faster and not have you blow your engine right away. But I would NEVER pay for a tune from him
What the hell? D-Rob is all about making power but also bring mindful of where and when to make the power to minimize reliability issues.

Last edited:

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry you feel this way, @ryanfk7 . The fact remains that I have tuned more of these cars than anyone in the world at this point (there are literally thousands of CivicX/AccordX models using my calibrations, by no stretch of figure).

@imcrspy , as KTuner mentioned, I do have access to knock sensitivity tables, but is the juice worth the squeeze? You have a stock FK7 engine (the least durable of all L15's, it seems), operating at a much-elevated power level. The factory knock sensitivity isn't a bad thing when it comes to keeping the engine alive.
Have you looked into the adding of any aftermarket parts/tunes that could potentially add background noise, throwing off the knock threshold map, and in turn falsely adding knock control?