• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don't shift into 1st Gear or else ...

OP
OP

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
I down shift into first when it makes sense to do so. I'm not sure I understand the post I guess.
In reddit a big number of commenters made clear that going into 1st while the car is moving will cause damage.
The whole point of the post is to measure the sentiment in this community about that statement.
Sponsored

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with shifting into first under 10mph or so. Just give it a blip to the throttle and shift it in into first. Slips right in no problem. Thereā€™s times when youā€™re going too slow for second gear and thereā€™s no other option. I hate lugging 2nd gear.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Also I just remembered. One of the selling points of the FL5, directly from Honda, is that it rev matches for downshifts into first gear. Which means Honda is OK with it.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
1 st is geared so low I'm not sure why people would want to engage it while moving. If I'm starting on a decline I'll just start in second gear.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Mine rev matches 1st gear as well. I havenā€™t done it a ton of times but it is necessary unless you want to lug 2nd.

mrhellderis

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Si SGP
I literraly was thinking about this thing today while driving back home from work. I tried couple times to downshift into 1st gear while at stop sign or traffic signal and found it pretty harsh to be honest. 1st gear is so short, that for me is a way smoother to just downshift into the nuetral right from the 2nd gear before complete stop. Still don't know what is right and what is wrong in this case, but for now I keep using 1st gear for take off only or a very slow movement.

jetorre

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic si, 79 5.3 Ls Wagoneer
who downshifts into first gear?
i did my first time driving the car, the si is my first stick and my dad was teaching me, he told me to down shift as you slow down through a turn so u can pick up speed again once your finished. Well i went to 3rd then 2nd then to 1st at 15mph. The car just jerked really hard like the transmission caught something and stopped up, after that it drove fine and i did it with barely 200miles on the car.

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
I literraly was thinking about this thing today while driving back home from work. I tried couple times to downshift into 1st gear while at stop sign or traffic signal and found it pretty harsh to be honest. 1st gear is so short, that for me is a way smoother to just downshift into the nuetral right from the 2nd gear before complete stop. Still don't know what is right and what is wrong in this case, but for now I keep using 1st gear for take off only or a very slow movement.
this I think is what we all do mostly, but something Iā€™ve been recently struggling with is exactly what You explain, just put it in neutral while your coming to a stop. But sooo many times lately as soon as Iā€™m getting ready to come to a stop boom the light turns green. Itā€™s too low of speed to throw it back in second or else you get that lugging feeling until you get up to enough speed. I feel the only way is to shift it into first and continue on. Or I guess you could just come to a complete stop but with traffic behind you etc people would be like whatā€™s this guy doing? Itā€™s a unique situation Iā€™ve found myself in a lot with this car. I never remember noticing this issue in my last manual (2013 civic si)

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
If youā€™re rolling like that (toward a stop, but then need to go again because the light turned green), just put it in second and feather the clutch (and gas of course) a little bit to keep it rolling forward smoothly. Then let the clutch fully out and go when up to proper speed/torque range. It takes some practice.

Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah, youā€™re putting some very very slight wear on the clutch in these minor instances. Keep in mind the clutch is a wear item that will need eventual replacement anyway. Donā€™t lug your engine. An engine is not a wear item that you want to replace.šŸ¤£

I drove an ā€˜09 Si for almost 14 years. When I sold it, it had the original clutch, which still worked like a charm. No, I didnā€™t beat the crap out of it like most would. I took great care of it and always kept up with maintenance. Do that and youā€™ll be gold.

Last edited:

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
If youā€™re rolling like that (toward a stop, but then need to go again because the light turned green), just put it in second and feather the clutch (and gas of course) a little bit to keep it rolling forward smoothly. Then let the clutch fully out and go when up to proper speed/torque range. It takes some practice.

Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah, youā€™re putting some very very slight wear on the clutch in these minor instances. Keep in mind the clutch is a wear item that will need eventual replacement anyway. Donā€™t lug your engine. An engine is not a wear item that you want to replace.šŸ¤£

I drove an ā€˜09 Si for almost 14 years. When I sold it, it had the original clutch, which still worked like a charm. No, I didnā€™t beat the crap out of it like most would. I took great care of it and always kept up with maintenance. Do that and youā€™ll be gold.
thanks for the tip, I will try this!

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek

Yes, that makes sense. Hondas can actually start in 2nd gear (depending on the terrain), so a slow-rolling is an easy 2nd gear situation. Can't do it as easily with a Subaru... those prefer 1st until you really get rolling.
Sponsored