• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Downforce/lift/aero drag figures

halfmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Porsche 718 Spyder Riviera Blue
I don't recall ever reading anything official from Honda about the downforce generated from the rear wing nor any figures about front end lift nor information about increased/reduced aero drag from unique FL5 CTR bits vs FK8 bits and pieces and regular civic models.

Did I miss it somewhere or can someone provide some figures.

1. For example, curious to know how much front end lift there is at say 80 mph. (Assuming there's lift but much less lift compared to regular Civic models.)
2. Curious to know front end lift values of FL5 vs. FK8.
3. Curious to know rear downforce values say at 80 mph of FL5 vs FK8.
4. Curious to know how much more (if any) downforce there is with optional carbon fiber wing and if there's an increase in drag with the optional wing?
Sponsored

EvanMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR #01113, '17 CTR #02019 (sold), '22 Sienna
I read somewhere along the way that the FL5 generated 90kg/200lb of downforce at 200kph/125mph.

Also remember reading somewhere that the FK8 had about 1/3 that.

No info about what the OEM Carbon wing adds, but would love to know as well.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
I read somewhere along the way that the FL5 generated 90kg/200lb of downforce at 200kph/125mph.

Also remember reading somewhere that the FK8 had about 1/3 that.

No info about what the OEM Carbon wing adds, but would love to know as well.
11th Gen Honda Civic Downforce/lift/aero drag figures File_20230828-183018~2

The downforce from these parts indeed gives you 892N (~90kgf) @ 200km/h, but you still have to discount the lift the body of the car generates. Honda never released similar numbers for the FK8, but I too remember reading the whole car produced ~30kgf of downforce at that speed. So we can't really compare both numbers directly. On the FL5 presentation, IIRC a honda engineer said the FL5 had equivalent aerodynamics to the FK8 even with less/smaller aero bits. He mentioned the diffuser and the experience from the supergt cars.

They presented a qualitative comparison between both cars:
11th Gen Honda Civic Downforce/lift/aero drag figures File_20230828-182959~2

OP, to calculate these figures at 80mph, just remember aerodynamic forces are proportional to the airspeed squared. So it's 41% of maybe 30-40kgf.
Sponsored