• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FK8 LE or FL5 (Sonic Grey)

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White, 2006 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
Thanks, luckily I was one of the lucky 100 in Canada that got their LE's for MSRP. All great points you mentioned, there will likely be a FL5 refresh with an LE option. I like the FL5, just not prepared to get scammed or "duped" value wise.
Hi All!

I need some help and some opinion from FK8 & FL5 owners. I currently have a 2021 LE (FK8), I love it, Phoenix Yellow just looks perfect on the FK8. That said, I have the opportunity to trade in the LE for a FL5 (Sonic Grey). I'm torn and don't know what to do, my biggest questions are:

1. Which one will be worth more in the long run? LE being the Honda "halo" vehicle, but FL5 assembled in Japan.
2. Which one do you like more?

Thanks, appreciate the feedback and opinions.
I would wait until the kinks are sorted out, and the market chills out a bit. You’ll get a better car for a better price. That said, your LE will likely also be worth less. But the LE is a late production run, this one is a first production run.

If you have to ask, I think the LE will be worth more, even if the new LE comes out.

Do you want the FL5 due to the hype? Or what is it about it that attracts you? They’re almost virtually identical other than looks and layout.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I would wait until the kinks are sorted out, and the market chills out a bit. You’ll get a better car for a better price. That said, your LE will likely also be worth less. But the LE is a late production run, this one is a first production run.

If you have to ask, I think the LE will be worth more, even if the new LE comes out.

Do you want the FL5 due to the hype? Or what is it about it that attracts you? They’re almost virtually identical other than looks and layout.
Can you really call something virtually identical when it looks completely different? lol

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
What dealership are you dealing with? They can get bent if they think they can get the LE off you for 55k!!! You can’t even get a regular FK8 with those km for less that that! They are trying to fleece you.

A piece of advice for people trading in vehicles, never start the negotiations with them knowing you have a trade in. You’re instantly screwed if you do.
Richmond Honda! Yes, I wish I had a photo of my reaction when I saw $55K, PRICELESS!

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R

In all honesty, it was more for curiosity sake then anything with the FL5. The interior attracts me the most about it. Other than that, can't really say anything else really jumps out above the FK8. So that alone isn't worth it.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In all honesty, it was more for curiosity sake then anything with the FL5. The interior attracts me the most about it. Other than that, can't really say anything else really jumps out above the FK8. So that alone isn't worth it.
I’m with you on that. I really like the FL5 interior - but it’s quite a stretch (and financially silly) to lose anything in the order of $10-15k for that. Eventually the novelty wears off. It’s ultimately a financial choice, but, with the added headache of, you have a perfectly fine car and with first model year, you just don’t know what you’re getting. In my opinion, there’s plenty of incentive to wait, and nothing to lose with waiting because even if FL5s run out (they won’t) - you still have 1 out of 600 LEs.

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
In pictures I agree, in person..... its a civic not an accord. If I'm going to have a stock $50k civic, it better damn well look like one. In my opinion for as much over styled is the FK8, the FL5 is even more under styled if that makes sense.
Totally agree and I know where you're coming from. When the FK8 first released, I was like "wow" that's bold,loud, in your face. Being in my 40's was a bit concerned that it would be too much. After getting it though, it's looks have really grown on me, it's got the "character" to match the "R" badge. With the FL5 It's like they got it all right with the modernized EP3 interior (red carpet and all), but went super conservative with the exterior. IMO, Honda should have went "middle ground" with the exterior styling of the FL5... Slightly more mature, but still retaining the "R" character. That said, you can't please everyone and it's all a matter of your personal preference.

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
I’m in my late 40’s and I think the FL5 is too toned down, looks too much like the regular civic to me. Especially the wing, it doesn’t look anywhere body matched like the FK8 does. And with the markups putting the fl5 in the 60k range, it doesn’t make any sense to me to change my FK8 at this time.

Last edited:

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
Stopped by dealership to check out the FL5

Stopped by the dealership today and saw the FL5 in person. It definitely looked smaller in person and not as wide and broad as in photos. The SGP looks better in person too.

That said, they offered me $55K (CAD) trade in for the LE and $50K (CAD) selling price for the FL5. The catch is I have to trade in my LE in order to purchase the FL5 for $50K. "No Thanks". Although the LE is not my "daily driver" and not a "garage queen" since I have 8,000 miles in 2 years, it's still not driven that often. If they had a CW FL5, my decision would be tougher, even then the smartest move is to hang onto the LE and hope for FL5 LE to be announced. Apparently Canada is only getting 500 FL5's over the next 3 years. That's still 400 more than the 100 LE's allocated for Canada. So as rare as the FL5's are, it's no "unicorn" like the LE.

Thoughts? Does my logic make sense? LOL.
I previously owned a 2018 RR FK8 and enjoyed that vehicle a great deal and was so impressed I purchased a 2021 CTR LE.

Initially I did not want to put too many miles on #126 as it was my intention to purchase a new FL5 and daily drive it but after looking at the crazy pricing and reading about the performance of the new 2023 I decided to purchase another low mileage 2021 LE which now allows me to put some miles on #126.

With respect to the trade-in price that was offered to you, when looking at it in terms of U.S. dollars, you are only getting ~$41,000 USF as a trade in which is unreasonable from my standpoint regardless of your mileage.

This coming weekend I will be driving #126 over to Honda Museum in Torrance, Ca. and am looking forward to a private tour of their outstanding museum before they relocate all those very cool vehicles to their corporate offices which is about a mile away.

After being in this great country for ~23 years I will be relocating back to B.C. in late March but have not determined if I will leave #126 and #581 down here for now or just bring one of them back to the Great White North?

Getting back to your dilemma, for me it would be a very easy decision.

You have a very rare 2021 CTR LE Canadian model that is much more unique than the new FL5, is quicker and faster that an FL5, comes with a painted Black roof and beautiful Phoenix Yellow paint, Cup 2 tires, light weight BBS wheels along with numerous delete items, possibly better looking for many of us than the FL5, will be worth much more in the long run therefore would encourage you to hang onto your 2021 FK8 LE.

Good luck with your decision and BTW how are your Cup 2 tires doing after some 8,000 miles of driving?

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To the OP, I really really think it is much wiser to hang on to the LE, and see what happens with the FL5 market, models, etc. The more I think of it, a few things could be on the horizon:

- Possibly the 2024 or 2025 brings something like, heated seats which in my opinion is almost mandatory these days, and all the first model year quirks will be sorted out
- The 2027 FL5 will most certainly bring back a Phoenix Yellow LE
- Maybe the Integra Type S blows all of our minds, with something like SH-AWD?
- What if Honda decides in the last model year of the Integra to axe the Type S and bring back the Integra Type R in Phoenix Yellow? The might want to blow our minds.

I think there's so much opportunity when waiting. You're the only one who can make the final call here, but that FK8 LE is one of a kind.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
I would hold off and hold on to that FK8 LE for now. Why?
1. It may appreciate more.
2. Very pure example of a CTR.
3. If they come out with an LE for the FL5 you will wish you had waited.

That said, if you don't even like the look of your FK8 LE...trade it so that someone who appreciates it more can buy it.
As long as you still wind up with a Type R, no wrong answer here.
I love my AB FK8- but wish it had better cooling, the FL5 data logger, and a few extra knobs on th dashboard.
Regardless, it is a keeper. Styling? One vote here for the FK8.
It's good to have a choice though.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
The only thing that the LE offers is the prospect of long-term appreciation. If you don't plan to keep the car and reap those benefits, sell it retail (don't trade it in; you'll lose thousands and thousands of dollars) and use the money to buy an FL5. Seems fairly simple to me. :dunno:

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
The only thing that the LE offers is the prospect of long-term appreciation. If you don't plan to keep the car and reap those benefits, sell it retail (don't trade it in; you'll lose thousands and thousands of dollars) and use the money to buy an FL5. Seems fairly simple to me. :dunno:
Not sure if you have driven an LE but it certainly offers much more than just long-term appreciation.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires along with the light weight Japanese built forged aluminum wheels alone are good reasons to keep that car long-term let alone all of the other cool and unique features.

To your point about possibly selling it, your suggestion to sell it privately is certainly the only way to go.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Not sure if you have driven an LE but it certainly offers much more than just long-term appreciation.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires along with the light weight Japanese built forged aluminum wheels alone are good reasons to keep that car long-term let alone all of the other cool and unique features.

To your point about possibly selling it, your suggestion to sell it privately is certainly the only way to go.
The FL5 is available with forged wheels and Cup2s. :dunno:
Sponsored