• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Active Sound Control (feat. Topher)

OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Confirmation that the TLX part that I purchased works.
Followed this video for install:
However I did have to pull part the casing and only use the circuit board as it is not a direct fit.

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Active Sound Control (feat. Topher) s-l1600
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Active Sound Control (feat. Topher) s-l1600 (1)

OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
End results, it still sounds ā€˜fakeā€™ as expected, but it is much improved over the video game sound of the stock FL5 unit. One interesting find was that the amplification only works in Sport mode, or exhaust set to sport in Individual. Phone video capture quality is very poor and it does sound better and way louder and throaty in person. Iā€™m happy with the outcome and will long term test it.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TLX Type-S / 2023 Civic Type-R / 2024 HRV EXL
End results, it still sounds ā€˜fakeā€™ as expected, but it is much improved over the video game sound of the stock FL5 unit.
This is good info to know! this now confirms that the ITS module I ordered will pump in the same sound and will work exactly how it does on the ITS in the CTR :hmm:

nattypiso

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CW R-05536
This is good info to know! this now confirms that the ITS module I ordered will pump in the same sound and will work exactly how it does on the ITS in the CTR :hmm:

Let us know how it sounds if you swap!

I've heard that it sounds less artificial compared to the CTR module, but after watching a few POV drives of the ITS on YouTube, it's hard to make out the differences without experiencing it in person :hmm:

nattypiso

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CW R-05536
End results, it still sounds ā€˜fakeā€™ as expected, but it is much improved over the video game sound of the stock FL5 unit. One interesting find was that the amplification only works in Sport mode, or exhaust set to sport in Individual. Phone video capture quality is very poor and it does sound better and way louder and throaty in person. Iā€™m happy with the outcome and will long term test it.

The TLX swap definitely sounds way better! it's unfortunate that the module only seems work in the Sport setting but the better sound outweighs the cons. Did you make a custom bracket to mount it properly?

OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
The TLX swap definitely sounds way better! it's unfortunate that the module only seems work in the Sport setting but the better sound outweighs the cons. Did you make a custom bracket to mount it properly?
It makes sense since the TLX a spec has comfort, normal and sport mode. I drive 90% in individual mode so it's a non issue in using this module. There was no way to mount it 'properly'. I took the circuit board out of the casing and used the thick, clear mounting tape.

OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
ITS module swap complete and tested?

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS module swap complete and tested?
Sure did .. swapped it out yesterday so much better than the CTR module ... not sure what the Japanese engineers were thinking but in +R mode its way too artificial. Now on the other Hand now that I have had a day with out any module plugged in and then another day with the ITS Module on the car and driving around this it is very natural sounding and I almost had to check to see if I was getting any "pumped in sound" well worth it for me since not having anything plugged in was making my OCD trigger :rofl:

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Active Sound Control (feat. Topher) CTR vs ITS module

OP
OP
sashimi

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Sure did .. swapped it out yesterday so much better than the CTR module ... not sure what the Japanese engineers were thinking but in +R mode its way too artificial. Now on the other Hand now that I have had a day with out any module plugged in and then another day with the ITS Module on the car and driving around this it is very natural sounding and I almost had to check to see if I was getting any "pumped in sound" well worth it for me since not having anything plugged in was making my OCD trigger :rofl:
Very well! This is the go to for those who hate the Type R fake noise then. Does it work in each mode or is sport and +R mode now have the same sound?

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very well! This is the go to for those who hate the Type R fake noise then. Does it work in each mode or is sport and +R mode now have the same sound?
Comfort has zero sound similar to the CTR
Sport has a very slight low tone ( Iā€™d say about 1/3 of what the CTR is for sport mode )
+R now sounds very natural and very in tune with the natural exhaust tone of the car and sounds nothing like the CTR downshifts are the area I notice it the mostā€¦. And reving it out you can actually hear the natural engine noise now vice the electronic generated nails on a chalkboard sound that comes from the CTR in +R mode :thumbsup:

hammeredsole

First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey Elite, F150 Tremor, CRV Hybrid Sport-L
Just for reference; proper ITS sound box part # is: 39200-3S5-A01

Ordered for $67 today. I will update with impressions, and hopefully put this to bed.

rev000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
hey quick question guys, is there anyway to fully turn off the active sound control? sorry for my ignorance i have been trying to search in the forums for an answer

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
hey quick question guys, is there anyway to fully turn off the active sound control? sorry for my ignorance i have been trying to search in the forums for an answer
It's believed there is no artifical engine sound when Engine Sound is set to Comfort. If you want to be 100% certain, unplug it.