• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Just took out the piped in sound using that DIY vid above. It works. I used a plastic pry tool with tape around it and no issues. As another poster said i put a zip tie around the connector to keep from any rattling and electrical taped it and the female connector into the box
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@pigfacedalarm Per AWEā€™s testing, thatā€™s what they concluded, yes. It makes complete sense too, otherwise Individual mode would have problems with some combinations of settings.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@pigfacedalarm Yes, thatā€™s a very logical conclusion. People are/were ripping the sound modules out because, until recently, no one knew for sure what the relationship was between engine/throttle performance and sound modes. So folks were concerned that performance was being nerfed when the engine sound is in comfort mode. Even now I think we only have AWEā€™s tests to go by.

Itā€™d sure be fantastic if Honda simply told us how the engine sound works, just to finally and conclusively put this all to bed.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
One good reason to disable the module is if you want to use the car in the +R mode and not get that ridiculously bad engine noise pumped in.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
@pigfacedalarm Yes, thatā€™s a very logical conclusion. People are/were ripping the sound modules out because, until recently, no one knew for sure what the relationship was between engine/throttle performance and sound modes. So folks were concerned that performance was being nerfed when the engine sound is in comfort mode. Even now I think we only have AWEā€™s tests to go by.

Itā€™d sure be fantastic if Honda simply told us how the engine sound works, just to finally and conclusively put this all to bed.
Do we know for sure that ENGNIE SOUND set to COMFORT disables the ASC completely, or is it just less fake engine noise that's pumped in?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@urbo73 I donā€™t know for certain. Iā€™ve kept the engine sound on Comfort mode since almost day 1, because I hate it. Itā€™s not just the fakeness of the actual sounds, but I can tell that the sound is coming from the speakers and not from the car. Itā€™s completely unnatural. But anywayā€¦If thereā€™s any sound in comfort mode, itā€™s so low I donā€™t hear it at all. Iā€™m good with it.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I have no interior engine noise at all with ā€œcomfortā€ setting for engine sound. The rest of my settings are R+.

Go try it out.
Iā€™ve had it in COMFORT since I practically got the car, but Iā€™m not 100% sure thereā€™s no fakery, even if minimal.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It makes sense that comfort mode would turn the ASC off (though we know Honda can make odd choices sometimes). Comfort is intended to be the most quiet. So any added sound is counterintuitive.

If I can remember, next time I go for a drive Iā€™ll put my phoneā€™s mic next to the driverā€™s side A pillar speaker and see if I can record any sound. I certainly canā€™t hear it from the driverā€™s seat (if thereā€™s any sound), but it would be an interesting test nonetheless.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
By unplugging it I no longer wonder whether Comfort is enough to silence it entirely - I also did not know that the exhaust valve position was independent of Engine sound mode, I had assumed it modified both. Very easy "mod" and one I'd do again :D

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
By unplugging it I no longer wonder whether Comfort is enough to silence it entirely - I also did not know that the exhaust valve position was independent of Engine sound mode, I had assumed it modified both. Very easy "mod" and one I'd do again :D
Did you just follow the instructions in the video posted here? I wonder if that vent has to fully come out.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TLX Type-S / 2023 Civic Type-R / 2024 HRV EXL
I wonder if that vent has to fully come out.
The vent does not need to be removed to access the ASC module:thumbsup:
I will have the ITS ASC module here next week to install so Iā€™ll have a small Updated DIY with pictures and what not:hmm:

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
The vent does not need to be removed to access the ASC module:thumbsup:
I will have the ITS ASC module here next week to install so Iā€™ll have a small Updated DIY with pictures and what not:hmm:
Ok. So youā€™re swapping one fake noise for another? šŸ§

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TLX Type-S / 2023 Civic Type-R / 2024 HRV EXL
Ok. So youā€™re swapping one fake noise for another? šŸ§
Yesā€¦ since the the module itself was rather cheapā€¦ The ITS sounded very natural when I test drove it nothing the the nails on a chalkboard sound that you get when the CTR is in R+ā€¦.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
To each their own, I guess.

I didn't fully remove the vent but I did loosen it and pull it out about halfway which made removing the lower section easier.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Did this mod today - pretty easy and straightforward. I just wanted to be 100% sure that even in COMFORT there was ZERO fake noise pumped in. So I disconnected the cable and zip tied it to the box so it won't rattle. Tested the car afterwards with ENGINE SOUND set to COMFORT, SPORT, and +R, and yeah, the fake noise is gone. In +R and SPORT vs COMFORT, it's still a bit different/louder sounding, especially when letting off throttle at higher RPMs (3000+), but I assume that's the exhaust valve. But I thought that was controlled only by throttle or the "ENGINE" setting, which on my car is on +R. So in INDIVIDUAL, with ENGINE set to +R and ENGINE SOUND set to COMFORT/SPORT/+R, it should sound identical, but it doesn't. Strange. Will test more.

EDIT: I tested it again, and I was wrong. It sounds the same in INDIVIDUAL mode. I set ENGINE to COMFORT/SPORT/+R and then toggled ENGINE SOUND between COMFORT/SPORT/+R. In each ENGINE mode, all three ENGINE SOUND settings sounded the same. So it makes sense. ENGINE is what controls the valve on the exhaust, not ENGINE SOUND, so my initial impressions were when I was switching from COMFORT to SPORT to +R with the button, not in INDIVIDUAL mode, where it also switched the ENGINE setting and the sound difference was due to that.

It's a bit confusing because the icon next to ENGINE SOUND shows an exhaust - perhaps that's Honda's way to make up for the muffled exhaust sound by pumping in fake noise in the cabin.
Sponsored

Last edited: