• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Anti-Theft Nuts

mjwashington

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Hi there,

Has anyone had any luck sourcing anti- theft nuts for their FL5? The only thing I have come close to being an option is McGard, but being in New Zealand I have to import them. Thing being I’m struggling to see anyone else that has used these.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
I was just researching this yesterday! I came across YT vids of Accords being one of the top choices for wheel thefts (any Honda really) Then I went down a rabbit hole of photos of CTRs left on blocks 😳(don’t do it) And basically found myself watching this wheel theft tutorial (lol) from Donut Media:

The Rimgard was looking promising as a deterrent but I checked and they don’t make one for ‘23 Hondas yet and depending on the rim style it might not fit or look right.

So now I’m stuck :doh:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Honda makes wheel locks, it’s only one per wheel. Part number 08W42-TG7-101A. Any of of the Honda online stores have them- shop around for best price.
Better than nothing but OEM wheel locks rarely pose a threat to a seasoned wheel thief.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I was just researching this yesterday! I came across YT vids of Accords being one of the top choices for wheel thefts (any Honda really) Then I went down a rabbit hole of photos of CTRs left on blocks 😳(don’t do it) And basically found myself watching this wheel theft tutorial (lol) from Donut Media:

The Rimgard was looking promising as a deterrent but I checked and they don’t make one for ‘23 Hondas yet and depending on the rim style it might not fit or look right.

So now I’m stuck :doh:
Doubt they will make one for the FL5 CTR. Sales volume need to be justified. I was waiting and waiting on them to come out with one for the FK8, even emailed them a few times. Sounded cautiously promising at first but as 2021 rolled around, I felt they could no longer justify a production run when the 11th gens were just around the corner.

Also, curious if adding those would noticeably affect performance with the increase in unsprung weight as idt those are completely light either.

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
@Xchax3 Donut Media still managed to remove the McGard with the hammer & socket method fairly quickly tho, wonder what version they were testing? I read that some McGards have a spinning collar design that should make it more difficult and time consuming but I’ve seen videos showing it can be done.

I don’t think there are any thief proof designs out there, just deterrents is all we can hope for.

@s2kdriver80 Tru. I’m not holding my breath for Rimgard to produce one for the FL5. Especially now after knowing you reached out to them for the Fk8. Good point about their weight, this is quoted fr their website faq but doesn’t really provide any details:

“The wheel locks have a marginal impact on the weight of the car, and there are therefore no noticeable performance changes.”

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
@s2kdriver80 Tru. I’m not holding my breath for Rimgard to produce one for the FL5. Especially now after knowing you reached out to them for the Fk8. Good point about their weight, this is quoted fr their website faq but doesn’t really provide any details:

“The wheel locks have a marginal impact on the weight of the car, and there are therefore no noticeable performance changes.”
Yea and also, one would have to stay committed to the stock wheels, which isn't an issue for me since I like them. Have to admit those locks aren't the prettiest either lol. But would have been nice and worth it for the extra peace of mind.

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Type R
I’m considering adding the Viper Alarm system. My uncles have had this obnoxious alarm since I was like 5 and they’ve never had a car stolen or vandalized. Mostly nasty noise at 2-3am.

My 2017 SI Coupe was stolen after a couple of months of ownership.. :confused:

OP
OP
mjwashington

mjwashington

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Honda makes wheel locks, it’s only one per wheel. Part number 08W42-TG7-101A. Any of of the Honda online stores have them- shop around for best price.
Cheers for the info. Looks like it’s eBay as most of the dealers don’t ship out of the USA.

dadcab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX PMC, 2017 Acura MDX Advance
Is wheel theft an issue in NZ?

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Hi there,

Has anyone had any luck sourcing anti- theft nuts for their FL5? The only thing I have come close to being an option is McGard, but being in New Zealand I have to import them. Thing being I’m struggling to see anyone else that has used these.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I had the McGards on 2 different cars spanning 20 years...
while there were no thefts or attempted thefts, i guess only some really desperate ppl would have bothered to steal Honda CR-V wheels. 😛

OTOH, they did try to open the driver's door, but only managed to screw up the lock.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Not to hijack a very useful thread, but I think a greater threat these days is for catalytic converters. Some are recommending etching the VIN into them or some other identifying information. A recent vid from a street cam showed one being quickly taken from a Lambo parked on the street.

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
Not to hijack a very useful thread, but I think a greater threat these days is for catalytic converters. Some are recommending etching the VIN into them or some other identifying information. A recent vid from a street cam showed one being quickly taken from a Lambo parked on the street.
Here’s a thread from the 10th gen forums. Looks like it would be very difficult to access since the cat is located on the downpipe.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/catalytic-converter-theft-threat.71403/
Sponsored