• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Fuel economy issues?

Durham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Touring Sedan ABM
Reaching 900 miles on my ST and I thought it would be broken in by now, but my highway mileage with flat elevation, 70-75mph driving is around 30mpg. In the city I’m getting 24-25mpg. This is way lower than expected.

Has this experience been true for anyone else?
Sponsored

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
what motor and tranny ? Best fuel economy seems to be around 60-65 mph, 70 mph is still decent, anything above that will see numbers dropping. I don't know if you guys get winter fuel in your region, that makes things worse, summer fuel is always more efficient, along with warmer ambient air temps.

maracuch0

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Hatchback ST
I just got my sport touring couple days ago and so far with 300 miles in, I am averaging 24-25 mpg city. I am expecting better MPG for city maybe 28-29 mpg, but lets see what happens after break in period.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
City stop and go will drop your numbers drastically depending on how much you have to do. If your highway trips are short as well, say 10 miles or less, you will not see the high mpg's. I was lucky to see 32 mpg average on my 20 CVT Sport hatch. I got better mileage on my 17 Sport 6MT hatch.

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
Hwy mileage tanks when you start going past 60mph. For my 6MT NA engine, 50mph is the sweat spot. The engine RPM is high enough to easily go up small hills and maintain efficiency. For country highway driving, even the hybrids can't get better consumption. I believe Turbo models can go faster and still get peek efficiency.

HawaiiPunch

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Elantra N
I go from about 6.4 l/100km in my current (2012) civic when I’m doing 105 kph, and end up usually around 7.5 while doing 115 kph. Your speed is a massive factor in fuel economy, not all highway driving is equal. This is also reported from the computer. For true mileage, you really need to record how much you fill up with and keep track of your actual driving mileage between fill ups. The computer isn’t usually very accurate. Time spent coasting vs straight braking is also massive, especially if you have a manual. Downshift!

andyh96z

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sport Touring
My fuel economy is gradually going up with miles and temperatures rising. Current average on my third tank is 33.5 mpg. Mostly city commuting to/from work.

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
My ST manual has 1100miles on it

Did a 390 mile drive last weekend and got 40.3 MPG with 80% highway 20% city use.

Drove normal, did not use that dumb ECON setting either.

Used 87 octane

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
I go from about 6.4 l/100km in my current (2012) civic when I’m doing 105 kph, and end up usually around 7.5 while doing 115 kph. Your speed is a massive factor in fuel economy, not all highway driving is equal. This is also reported from the computer. For true mileage, you really need to record how much you fill up with and keep track of your actual driving mileage between fill ups. The computer isn’t usually very accurate. Time spent coasting vs straight braking is also massive, especially if you have a manual. Downshift!
you will save more fuel by not downshifting so much while braking

Stryxx

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
There's a calculatable optimal speed for fuel efficiency based on a flat elevation (No hills, slippery weather, etc...). Things like heat/ac, city driving, and even how you drive can effect your fuel economy. Hitting 23-25 city and 30-34 highway in my 22' sport but I've only got 200mi on it so far. Sport mode kills it, not using Auto Start/Stop kills it, and there are a few things even I don't know enough about that can effect it (Climate, weight, etc...). Keep in mind, estimated is optimal in a lab environment with no variables and even then its just an estimate.

HawaiiPunch

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Elantra N
you will save more fuel by not downshifting so much while braking
Im assuming you mean by not downshifting a bunch of gears? I usually only go straight to 3rd or 2nd depending on my speed, and then straight to neutral from those. Should never have to drop more than one gear in normal driving.

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
Just returned yesterday from a North Carolina Outer Banks trip and averaged 43.4 mpg mostly interstate and 55mph back roads. This is on a '22 Si w/ Hondata tune. Usually get 33-35 mpg around town with ~4000 miles on the odo.

FILIPINOY79

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Hatchback Sports Touring (Black)
I just had mine for a month coming from a 2010 Civic Hybrid. Your going to be hovering around there, max 33. I think 33 is the average.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Sport touring hatch gets 45-47 mpg pure highway and low 30s city. After 8k miles avg 36mpg. Idle stop/start makes a huge difference too.
Sponsored