• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Good spare tire kit?

Bsnyder6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2005 Wrangler
Anyone know of a good spare tire kit for r the FL5? will one for the standard hatchback work or would it not be able to clear the front calipers
Sponsored

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pilot, 1971 Triumph TR6, 2023 CTR
I have the one I bought through honda for my 2019 type r. I know the tire will fit but I don't know if they are selling the cover that replaces the cover over the flat kit. The worst case I'll buy a tire carrier and use it on road trips.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Anytime you put a spare on a FWD car you should put it on the back. So if your front tire is flat move a rear one to the front and put the spare on the back. If the standard hatch spare wheel has the same lug pattern it would probably work fine.

OP
OP
Bsnyder6

Bsnyder6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anytime you put a spare on a FWD car you should put it on the back. So if your front tire is flat move a rear one to the front and put the spare on the back. If the standard hatch spare wheel has the same lug pattern it would probably work fine.
Ah good point. Coming from a vehicle with full size spare it's never been something i've thought about

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
Anyone know of a good spare tire kit for r the FL5? will one for the standard hatchback work or would it not be able to clear the front calipers
Ask your dealership? I have the spare for my f8 no prob!

TheTopher

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
The FK8 spare tire kit almost fits perfectly. Part 06421-TGH-A33ZA wheel kit NH900L- I ordered one for a 2021 Civic Type R for $220 at my local dealer for the wheel, jack & tools, foam insert, stickers, valve stem, tow hook, and cover. The box is huge. Paid more than what I've seen online, but wanted to be sure it was for a Type R. Tire is sold separately, T125/70R18 99M Continental I got it for ~$150 installed at discount tire.

The wheel/tire clears both front and rear calipers no problem. The cover bolts perfectly into the stock location and fits pretty well in the trunk area. It's a cheaper thin piece of particle board, not as thick and solid as the stock cover. The foam risers also aren't quite tall enough to support weight on the far right and left sides. The center is well supported by the spare underneath, however.

There also isn't a designated space for the jack like there was in the FK8, so I wrapped mine up in a towel and put it in the wheel. The foam insert adds about an inch of height to everything so I decided to run without that.

I eventually ended up removing the kit's cheaper cover since it just isn't solid enough to support any weight and reinstalled the stock cover. I may add more foam height/support to the edges of the FK8 cover at some point and see if that's better.

FK8 Cover installed over spare.
11th Gen Honda Civic Good spare tire kit? IMG_0862

FK8 cover + FL5 rubber trunk mat
11th Gen Honda Civic Good spare tire kit? IMG_0863

Foam insert. Some of these foam blocks aren't long enough to support the cover.
11th Gen Honda Civic Good spare tire kit? IMG_0867

Installed FL5 cover. FK8 spare without foam insert. Jack & tools, ice scraper, and tire inflator all fit! Never travel without a towel, for practical and psychological reasons.
11th Gen Honda Civic Good spare tire kit? IMG_0866

FK8 spare + FL5 cover
11th Gen Honda Civic Good spare tire kit? IMG_0865

FK8 spare+Fl5 cover+FL5 rubber trunk mat. Slightly higher due to thicker cover.
11th Gen Honda Civic Good spare tire kit? IMG_0864.JPG

Here's to hoping Honda comes out with a dedicated FL5 spare kit for the US, until then the FK8 kit works well enough imo. It's pothole season here in Michigan and I'm about to go on a road trip so needed a solution asap.

An alternative solution is a spare from an '05-'12 Acura RL at your local junkyard or on ebay:

11th Gen Honda Civic Good spare tire kit? IMG_0512.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bsnyder6

Bsnyder6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FK8 spare tire kit almost fits perfectly. Part 06421-TGH-A33ZA wheel kit NH900L- I ordered one for a 2021 Civic Type R for $220 at my local dealer for the wheel, jack & tools, foam insert, stickers, valve stem, tow hook, and cover. The box is huge. Paid more than what I've seen online, but wanted to be sure it was for a Type R. Tire is sold separately, T125/70R18 99M Continental I got it for ~$150 installed at discount tire.

The wheel/tire clears both front and rear calipers no problem. The cover bolts perfectly into the stock location and fits pretty well in the trunk area. It's a cheaper thin piece of particle board, not as thick and solid as the stock cover. The foam risers also aren't quite tall enough to support weight on the far right and left sides. The center is well supported by the spare underneath, however.

There also isn't a designated space for the jack like there was in the FK8, so I wrapped mine up in a towel and put it in the wheel. The foam insert adds about an inch of height to everything so I decided to run without that.

I eventually ended up removing the kit's cheaper cover since it just isn't solid enough to support any weight and reinstalled the stock cover. I may add more foam height/support to the edges of the FK8 cover at some point and see if that's better.

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Installed FL5 cover. FK8 spare without foam insert. Jack & tools, ice scraper, and tire inflator all fit! Never travel without a towel, practical and psychological reasons.
IMG_0866.jpg

FK8 spare + FL5 cover
IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0864.JPG

Here's to hoping Honda comes out with a dedicated FL5 spare kit for the US, until then the FK8 kit works well enough imo. It's pothole season here in Michigan and I'm about to go on a road trip so needed a solution asap.

An alternative solution is a spare from an '05-'12 Acura RL at your local junkyard or on ebay:

IMG_0512.JPG
Thanks for the thorough response man!

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8

frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fit, 2024 Integra Type S, 2004 S2000
One question for a Canadian owner: Does the FL5 has the threaded thing on the bottom of the trunk to secure the spare? (even if the car does not come with it)

CatD10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2008 Civic, Ram1500

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Installed FL5 cover. FK8 spare without foam insert. Jack & tools, ice scraper, and tire inflator all fit! Never travel without a towel, for practical and psychological reasons.
IMG_0866.jpg

FK8 spare + FL5 cover
IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG
How are you liking this FK8 spare kit so far? I'm about to order the same. Have you made any changes? Thanks

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
The Acura 05-12 RL spare is an option and I think I saw it mentioned somewhere on this site but now can't find the original post. I ended up going this route. It's pretty cheap overall. I bought just the spare and hold down screw shipped and taxed off ebay for $127 (this isn't my video).

The only disadvantage is it won't clear the caliper in the front, but it doesn't really matter because this spare tire isn't the same height as the factory tire. You would experience rolling resistance from the different RPM working against the limited slip clutches, possibly overheating and damaging them.

There is no way I'd ever use the sealant kit supplied by Honda. Similar sealant products are known to soften and distort the tires beyond usefulness (I know this from using Slime) and some products even chemically corrode aluminum rims. I'm surprised Honda even offered such a bogus solution.

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
The Acura 05-12 RL spare is an option and I think I saw it mentioned somewhere on this site but now can't find the original post. I ended up going this route. It's pretty cheap overall. I bought just the spare and hold down screw shipped and taxed off ebay for $127 (this isn't my video).

The only disadvantage is it won't clear the caliper in the front, but it doesn't really matter because this spare tire isn't the same height as the factory tire. You would experience rolling resistance from the different RPM working against the limited slip clutches and possibly overheat and damage them.

There is no way I'd ever use the sealant kit supplied by Honda. Similar sealant products are known to soften and distort the tires beyond usefulness (I know this from using Slime) and some products even chemically corrode aluminum rims. I'm surprised Honda even offered such a bogus solution.
If I remember correctly, the video linked above mentions that scenario — you would just have to take off the front tire with a flat, take a good tire from the rear and put that on the front, then put the spare on the rear.

frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fit, 2024 Integra Type S, 2004 S2000

The only disadvantage is it won't clear the caliper in the front, but it doesn't really matter because this spare tire isn't the same height as the factory tire. You would experience rolling resistance from the different RPM working against the limited slip clutches, possibly overheating and damaging them.

Don't forget to get 5 lug nuts for the RL spare. The CTR won't fit.

See this thread (post #55): https://www.integraforums.com/forum/threads/spare-tire-kit.51075/page-4
Sponsored