• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honda Closing UK Swindon Plant in 2022

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
They'll go to Asia most likely.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Tbh it doesnt really affect the CivicX generation because by the time 2022 hits Honda would have released the 11th gen Civic. My hope is that they move hatch production to the U.S and if there is a CTR for the 11th gen then moving that too.

wantcivXhb-si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback LX 2019
Tbh it doesnt really affect the CivicX generation because by the time 2022 hits Honda would have released the 11th gen Civic. My hope is that they move hatch production to the U.S and if there is a CTR for the 11th gen then moving that too.
I agree, given that the Civic X HB will most likely be gone by MY23, it would be easy to move any new model production either to Japan or North America. Hope that does not mean the end of the hatchback, though, since Swindon was the sole factory that was building hatches for the world market. Guess I will have even a more exclusive breed than I thought, a manual transmission Civic hatchback LX made in UK ;)

coo1rim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic 2.0L 6MT
The cost of retooling for the next generation is huge, makes sense to invest that cost elsewhere (Brexit).

I'm sure the smart people in UK want to get out of it, but damage done. Once you lose your reputation for stability (politically) it's almost as damaging as the actual act of separating. It happened here in Canada. 2 percent margin, but to keep Quebec as part of Canada (vs Brexit which went the other way). Even through Quebec didn't separate from Canada, all the head office for Major business pulled out of Montreal Quebec and relocated to Toronto Ontario.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Does anyone have and data as to how well the Hatchback sells compared to the Sedan? Would be curious as to the breakdown - what is more popular?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Does anyone have and data as to how well the Hatchback sells compared to the Sedan? Would be curious as to the breakdown - what is more popular?
Sedan by far is more popular. You can tell just by driving on the streets, you mostly see sedan.

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Looks like hatch and type r will be a rare breed by 2023. Specially with manual transmission.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Dont think it has do with sales in 1992 the van Nuys chevy plant closed down that produced the camaros was moved over to canada

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
I don't have the actual sales numbers but cars.com shows the US nationwide inventory. Right now there are about 34,000 Civic sedans versus about 13,000 Civic hatchbacks for sale. Compare that to only 3,500 Civic coupes. Seems to me if any body style will be discontinued it would be the coupe. I think the hatchback is here to stay but the 11th gen will be built somewhere other than Swindon, obviously.

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue