• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How is your MPG?

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Sport Touring / 18' Type R
Just want to see how everyone is dong MPG wise.

I'm slightly disappointed so far with my 2022 Sport Touring Hatch (CVT).
As a refresher this cars window sticker/EPA is 30cty-37hwy

My commute to and from work is about 10+ miles (one way) about 15/20 minute. This commute is suburban (almost rural) travel. There are about 4-5 lights and stop signs on this journey. The rest of the time is spent mostly flat road where you can steady do about 40-45mph for a few miles before running into one of the lights/stop signs. Any other travel I do with this car is actually mostly highway crossing town to see a friend or family. These highways are not congested, I get on, do 70-75 to where I am headed and never run into traffic.

The past 3 trip "B"s I have reset and noted the amounts of gasoline it take to fill back up. My trip computer has averaged 29-30mpg combined and when I calculate at the pump, the real world numbers are closer to 27-28.
This seems a bit low for my driving being a combination of highway and suburban driving. You would think I could ATLEAST get 31-33 combined in this scenario.

Quick notes: I am not trying to hypermile but do pay attention to throttle input on my commute and have not driven "spirited" on these 3 test runs of mpg I have made.
Another note is I live in the Northeast and currently on our lovely winter blend gasoline (but even still....)

The main reason I bring this up is because my husband drives a 2017 Civic Si Sedan. I have done this same commute with his car and can average 34-35mpg. That car gets uncanny good gas mileage. The 6 speed manual is rated 28cty-38hwy for reference.

IDK what gives...
Sponsored

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
My '18 Si gets 33/34 in mixed driving in the winter, though the gas minder generally says 1-2mpg better than what I calculate. What you are getting seems quite low, especially for the type of driving you are doing. If all I am doing is commuting to work (13 miles one way, the majority of it without so much as a stop sign) I can get above 35. Road trips get me close to 40mpg.

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My '18 Si gets 33/34 in mixed driving in the winter, though the gas minder generally says 1-2mpg better than what I calculate. What you are getting seems quite low, especially for the type of driving you are doing. If all I am doing is commuting to work (13 miles one way, the majority of it without so much as a stop sign) I can get above 35. Road trips get me close to 40mpg.
Absolutely mine seems low. I did a thruway driving cross state trip in the 17’ Si and had the computer reading 43 ?

22-Si

First Name
Utku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
On my 2022 Civic si, I am averaging 30 overall, including spirited driving and granny driving. When I fully drive like a granny I can get 36-37 mpg combined(sometimes more). It might have to do with the CVT. Since, in a manual, every gear change, you let go of the throttle. And, when you leave it in gear when coming to a stop the car shuts off the injectors and does not let you burn gas(It might do the same in the CVTs too, I am not sure). Whereas in the CVTs or automatics, the car puts the transmission in neutral(from what I can feel). Your mpg difference might have something to do with this, or there might be something wrong with your injectors. I don't really know what might actually cause the difference in the mpg. I am just trying to give a different perspective. If I was even able to.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
On my 17 Sport hatch 6MT I would get around 35 consistently, but on the 20 Sport hatch CVT it was 32 mpg. I thought it was crazy because the engine was running at lower revs on the CVT in the same areas but still getting less mpg's.

arpypat

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan ABM
You can't really compare the 2. The 10th gen Si is more aerodynamic and is lighter. I've freqently gotten 45+ MGPs on road trips in my 2019 Si.

Other variables include: gas quality, tire pressure, ambient conditions, transmission power loss

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can't really compare the 2. The 10th gen Si is more aerodynamic and is lighter. I've freqently gotten 45+ MGPs on road trips in my 2019 Si.

Other variables include: gas quality, tire pressure, ambient conditions, transmission power loss
Mmmm…
In hear you in those aspects. I didn’t really want to just direct compare. More wanted to point out Im a bit disappointed so far. Plus the EPA rating of the 17Si are 28cty-38hwy while I happily pull 33-34 combined. As in ot makes sense to me, like its right where it should be.
Vs my new 22 rated at 30-37 getting me 28 on the same commute.

PrayingForGrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 SGP ST Hatch 6MT
seems like the cvts just get worse mileage than the manuals this gen, my 6 spd ST normally averages 38-39 mpg with a mix of streets and highway. When I skip the street and do all highway I get about 45.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
OP, I'd blame it on 2 factors.

1. The winter blend gas.
2. NY weather. It's been very cold this winter so far.

I have a 10th gen but routinely see the high 30's or even low 40's on my warm weather commutes. This winter, I'm averaging 32 mpgs, mostly due to the very cold (and sometimes windy) winter. Keep in mind these turbo/CVT's aren't very efficient until the car is fully warmed up.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Based on Ops location winter tires likely play into the mix. Is the vehicle even broken in yet - most take 3-5k miles before best mileage is attained.

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on Ops location winter tires likely play into the mix. Is the vehicle even broken in yet - most take 3-5k miles before best mileage is attained.
I do want to see what happens after break in and my car is only 1500+ miles. here’s hoping.
No snow tires here though. Stock wheel/tire setup. I drive the Si if it snows, it has steelies and snows.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
All you need is some warm weather. If your region uses winter blend fuel, and you get cold winter temps , your fuel economy is about 30% less than it would be in optimal conditions. In warm weather months fuel economy will go way up.

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All you need is some warm weather. If your region uses winter blend fuel, and you get cold winter temps , your fuel economy is about 30% less than it would be in optimal conditions. In warm weather months fuel economy will go way up.
Right… but that’s actually why I used the Si comparison here. I do think the only real factor is that its not broken in yet. I’m hoping for some increase as she does. I believe EPA ratings are done on cars with 5,000 miles+.

However, I used the comparison because although there are a few differences ie. miles on the Si and manual transmission and some weight, at the end of the day the comparison here is extremely similar. A car from the same manufacturer with the same core engine. I am driving them in the EXACT same climate on the same commute and filling up at the same gas stations. To average 5mpg more in that Si when its has a lesser combined rating just seems like a pretty stout difference, broken in or not.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
The manufacturer fuel economy ratings are done at 48 mph. I always thought it was done at 58 mph, but in one of fuel eonomy thread videos they said it was 48 mph. If you want to compare your real world ratings to vehicle advertised ratings then you need to replicate the driving test variables.

I hear you on the Si comparison differences, you would think it would be as good or better. You are pretty much through break-in at 1500 miles but see how it goes with more miles on it.

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mazda3 Turbo, 13 FR-S, 03 RSX Type S
Another variable is traffic. Empty highways don’t let you draft someone to give you a little MPG boost. Not saying we should be riding people’s bumpers but even setting ACC to 2 bars on a freeway with some traffic gives me noticeably better mileage than on a relatively empty freeway or highway with no center divider at the same speed
Sponsored