• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How-To: Bleeding the Brakes

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
PointByPatrol said:
I pulled the video down. Looks like I made a mistake on the proper procedure on the FL5 specifically. I'm hearing that the procedure is to start at the driver front, then passenger front, the passenger rear, then driver rear, then actuate the parking brake 5 times, then re-bleed the rears. I will confirm this when I get back to work. If I was wrong I'll redo the process and shoot a new video. Can anyone else confirm?
Just confirmed with a Honda Master Technician that what I have written above here is indeed the correct way to bleed the brakes. So I'll be shooting a brand new video to showcase the "factory procedure" for how this is done.

Side note: I could be wrong here, but my immediate though on this is that a standard bleeding procedure is not going to introduce air into the system, and can likely be done the "old fashioned way", but in the case of folks replacing their brake lines or calipers (Which inevitably causes air to enter the system), will need to follow the factory process to rid their brake system of air bubbles.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Glad to help! I keep finding that I have to pace myself during these videos, and jot down notes beforehand to cover all of the points!

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I pulled the video down. Looks like I made a mistake on the proper procedure on the FL5 specifically. I'm hearing that the procedure is to start at the driver front, then passenger front, the passenger rear, then driver rear, then actuate the parking brake 5 times, then re-bleed the rears. I will confirm this when I get back to work. If I was wrong I'll redo the process and shoot a new video. Can anyone else confirm?

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
According to what I have heard what you stated is the way the manual describes it.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Just confirmed with a Honda Master Technician that what I have written above here is indeed the correct way to bleed the brakes. So I'll be shooting a brand new video to showcase the "factory procedure" for how this is done.

Side note: I could be wrong here, but my immediate though on this is that a standard bleeding procedure is not going to introduce air into the system, and can likely be done the "old fashioned way", but in the case of folks replacing their brake lines or calipers (Which inevitably causes air to enter the system), will need to follow the factory process to rid their brake system of air bubbles.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen
Thanks f
Side note: I could be wrong here, but my immediate though on this is that a standard bleeding procedure is not going to introduce air into the system,
IMO you are correct in this assumption. I've failed to cycle the EPBs when replacing brake fluid, but as long as air wasn't introduced, it hasn't been a problem.

OTOH, the one time I replaced by rear brake lines, I actually had to do 2 full cycles (bleed, cycle EPB 5 times, bleed again, cycle EPB 5 times) before I got all the air out of my system.

Because I usually work on my car alone, I generally use a positive pressure system because it's quick, but don't sleep on a good gravity bleed. If you have the time, it makes for a rock solid pedal feel.
Sponsored