• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OEM+ Illuminated Door Sills - FL5 and Si

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
When I traded my DE5 for the FL5, I immediately missed the DE5's illuminated door sills--bright, glossy, and located at the front and back doors. I had my dealership install the FL5 OEM door sills, but they're just sad--dim, orangeish-red, and only available for the front doors. C'mon, Honda!

I looked at some of the sills offered by other manufacturers, learned a bit about how they're constructed, put together a design, and hunted down a manufacturer willing to make a set of prototypes to my specs (in China, of all places, can you believe that?). They arrived about 6 weeks later, and I installed them last weekend using my OEM wiring harness and a few soldering heat shrink connections. I'm very pleased with the outcome, and I've been getting a surprising number of questions about selling them... so I'm here to gauge interest.

A few disclaimers: A future run will be the same size/shape/layout but will have the Type R logo on a black background, not the FL5 camo--it will give the Type R logo more pop when it's dark, similar to the Integra illuminated sills. Install will require running Honda's illuminated sill wiring harness (~$30) behind the dash, and will also require (very basic) wiring skills--ie snip the OEM sill plugs, and wire in the sills using your choice of connection type (heat shrink solder sleeves or Wago connectors, for example). This will be for all 4 doors, not just the front doors--running the harness behind the dash is the tedious job (in my opinion), and placing the for both doors sills only requires removing ~4 pieces of trim on each side, loosening the weather stripping, and a little body tape.

I'm expecting the cost with freight and duty to come in around $300/set + Shipping, but I'd need about 25 orders to justify the work. If it seems like there's enough interest, I'll share a mockup of the sills in black, I'm sure you already get the idea.

Comment if you're interested--I'd do a poll, but it seems silly.

11th Gen Honda Civic OEM+ Illuminated Door Sills - FL5 and Si IMG_0759

11th Gen Honda Civic OEM+ Illuminated Door Sills - FL5 and Si IMG_0760

11th Gen Honda Civic OEM+ Illuminated Door Sills - FL5 and Si IMG_0769

11th Gen Honda Civic OEM+ Illuminated Door Sills - FL5 and Si IMG_0776
Sponsored

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Put me down for a set if they're the non camo version. 👍
Well that’s encouraging! I was slightly afraid a non-camo version would be a huge letdown… but I’m also more fanboy than most. 😂

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Will this setup be able to be run off the existing OEM illuminated sills? I assume that may make the setup easier, but either way definitely interested as the OEM ones are kinda sad.

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Will this setup be able to be run off the existing OEM illuminated sills? I assume that may make the setup easier, but either way definitely interested as the OEM ones are kinda sad.
100%—I had the OEM sills, clipped their wires, and wired the replacement sills directly into the leftover wiring and it all runs through the OEM harness with 2A fuse built-in.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
100%—I had the OEM sills, clipped their wires, and wired the replacement sills directly into the leftover wiring and it all runs through the OEM harness with 2A fuse built-in.
In, but only if you promise for a detailed install description, I'm not a total novice but will need the help to pull it off. These look great.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Did you also install the JDM interior lights in the door handles and door pockets? Does that mean you also did the additional footwell lighting? Is that why it looks so bright?

I am actually going to Japan next month and these were going to be my souvenirs....

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
In, but only if you promise for a detailed install description, I'm not a total novice but will need the help to pull it off. These look great.
Since I had the OEM sills and didn’t have to install the harness behind the dash, install of these might’ve taken me 90min—pretty darn easy!

Juniiorr914

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Sign me up for a pair, been looking into the OEM ones for the time being but not completely sold on em

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I've confirmed the manufacturer will ship an order as small as 10 sets, so here's a mockup of the sills without camo for reference. Maybe 7 more folks are interested?

The mockup in green shows the elements that illuminate (along with the outer perimeter of the sill to give a nice puddle light effect).

Feel free to reach out with any questions!

11th Gen Honda Civic OEM+ Illuminated Door Sills - FL5 and Si Type-R Door Sills (NO CAMO)

11th Gen Honda Civic OEM+ Illuminated Door Sills - FL5 and Si Type-R Door Sills (NO CAMO Illumination)

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Not to give you more work but the ones for the FK8 is pretty sad. Apparently on the letter R lights up. Perhaps make them a set and sell there also.

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
These will actually work just fine on the FK8 too--if I'm not mistaken, the illuminated sills are the same size for the FK8 and FL5, and I know the harnesses are the same. There's a FK8 illuminated door sill instructional video on YouTube where the guy's installing the FL5 door sills.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
These will actually work just fine on the FK8 too--if I'm not mistaken, the illuminated sills are the same size for the FK8 and FL5, and I know the harnesses are the same. There's a FK8 illuminated door sill instructional video on YouTube where the guy's installing the FL5 door sills.
So one would just undo the adhesive on the FK8 one, unclip the wire, then install this in its place in reverse order? Sounds like a 2 minute job. Pretty tempting, since my wiring is already all in place. The rear ones would need some work obviously; in the worst case, can have non-illuminating panels for the rears.

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
So one would just undo the adhesive on the FK8 one, unclip the wire, then install this in its place in reverse order? Sounds like a 2 minute job. Pretty tempting, since my wiring is already all in place. The rear ones would need some work obviously; in the worst case, can have non-illuminating panels for the rears.
You're generally correct, yes, here's what would be done:
  • Disconnect the battery
  • Loosen the front door seal
  • Remove the door sill trim
  • Carefully peel off the OEM illuminated door sills (held on by body tape)
  • Cut and strip the wire supplying power to the OEM illuminated door sill
  • Apply the replacement sills with body tape
  • Strip and connect the +/- wires from the replacement sills to the wiring from the OEM illuminated sills using two separate heat shrink solder connectors (pretty simple), or 2 Wago butt joint connectors (even easier)
I won't say it's a 2 minute job, but it's pretty darn easy. If you're going to the trouble to do the above, all you need to then do to connect the rear sills is:

• Loosen the rear door seal
  • Remove the rear door sill trim
  • Apply the rear illuminated sill with body tape
  • Loosen the under seat and b-pillar trim so you can slip the wire through to the open front door sill area
  • Strip and connect the +/- wires from the replacement sills into the same heat shrink solder connectors (before you seal them, obviously) or 2 Wago butt joint connectors (easiest way to go)
  • Reconnect the battery to test
When you confirm both sills light, disconnect the battery again, secure the 2 loosened plastic trim pieces, tape the illuminated sill wire entry point and all new wiring to your satisfaction, and reattach the front and rear door sill trim.
Sponsored