• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ohlins DFV Road & Track Settings Discussion

sugarl4nd

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 CW & 2020 FK8 CW
I recently installed Ohlins DFV Road & Track in my FL5 - decided to take my time on driving the setup with multiple different settings for both street & track. After weeks of countless multiple trial of different set up. I settle to the following click settings :

Street : Front @ 15-17 clicks from full stiff
Track : Rear @ 10-12 clicks from full stiff

My observation :
- Higher clicks from Street's click : I'm losing the sharpness of the handling and feel bouncy
- Lower click from Track's click : Unbearable stiff (bone cracking effect for me, as I'm not young anymore ... :banghead:)

Note : I'm on Michelin PS4S with Rays 19" forged wheels.

I would like to know what is your current settings if you have Ohlins installed in the Type R.
Sponsored

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
Do these support the active suspension settings or do you lose it?

I have the those shocks on my 1993 RX7 and I actually have them 5-7 clicks from full soft for track days. This came after working with a RX7 suspension guru. I used to think having them closer to full hard was better, but when you look at the spring rates and then also measure your suspension travel on track and look at your tire temps (using a pyrometer) after sessions, the math/science tells a different story. What I learned is what I thought I needed isn't what I actually needed to make those shocks work in my favor...at least on the RX7 FD platform.

OP
OP
sugarl4nd

sugarl4nd

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do these support the active suspension settings or do you lose it?

I have the those shocks on my 1993 RX7 and I actually have them 5-7 clicks from full soft for track days. This came after working with a RX7 suspension guru. I used to think having them closer to full hard was better, but when you look at the spring rates and then also measure your suspension travel on track and look at your tire temps (using a pyrometer) after sessions, the math/science tells a different story. What I learned is what I thought I needed isn't what I actually needed to make those shocks work in my favor...at least on the RX7 FD platform.
With Ohlins, we lose the active suspension settings.

Agreed, thanks for the feedback.

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to get off topic, but what made you switch from the OEM active ones?

OP
OP
sugarl4nd

sugarl4nd

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to get off topic, but what made you switch from the OEM active ones?
FL5 suspension is very stiff (unless we stay at Comfort settings - means we need to stay at Individual mode & could not go to +R mode + could not disable VSA), borderline unbearable. Even with ITS ADS installed, it is better but still not perfect. FYI : I like FK8 OEM active dampers suspension set up. Since I swap between Fk8 and FL5 on daily basis, it does not help with keep comparing them :nono:.

Decided to nit the bullet and to try Ohlins, I could not be happier, handling much improved (next level - much superior than FK8), car feels planted and I'm more confident to push it further. I'm willing to sacrifice the convenient of OEM active dampers. It took me a while to dial in to my liking, but once I get it - it's amazing. It put smile on my face :nixon:

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. I have the ITS module on order. I have not tracked my FL5 yet but I keep mine in comfort all the time. Maybe sport, but as we all know Type R on the street will rattle your teeth out.

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw you can disable VSA with the “pedal dance”.

raptor718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
any chance we can get a pic of how it sits on the ohlins? tyia

raptor718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Also, Andre, did you replace the tophats with the sakebomb or did you just use the stock ones?

raptor718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
"Street : Front @ 15-17 clicks from full stiff
Track : Rear @ 10-12 clicks from full stiff"

On these setting is the unmentioned side matching? For example, on street you say Front was at 15-17 click. Was rear set at the same exact setting for street?

For track, what was front set at?

Thanks!
Sponsored