• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil Filters - Mobil 1???

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2022 Civic Touring Sedan
So I am at the 5% mark on my 2022 Touring sedan and I still had an M-110 left in stock in my garage. These filters have been standard on the 2.4L, the 2.0L and the 1.5T in the GenX Civic and the CRV. However, they are NOT listed on the Mobil 1 site for the new 1.5T in the 2022. Is this right?

I have a Fram filter that is listed as correct for it but dammit, it is the same size as the Mobil 1 filter so ??? What gives?
Sponsored

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, for those wondering, I got a reply back from Mobil 1 and the M-110A is still the right filter. I told them that their site and subsequently, all the merchants don't think it is applicable so hopefully they will update that.

Lovic87

First Name
Lovic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ST Smoky Mauve Pearl CVT '18 GTI SE 6MT
Honda thankfully has used damn near the same filter on most engines for 20+ years. My father in law has been buying the same filters for their various Hondas and Acuras since at least 2006.

I have an M110-A that didn't get put on our 10th gen so it's going on the ST for it's first oil change soon.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda thankfully has used damn near the same filter on most engines for 20+ years.
Ya, I was pretty damned sure but I wanted a straight answer from Mobil1. Comically, they still haven't updated their site.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2018 Honda HB sport
All honda Acura share same oil filter, incl sedan suv minivan pickup truck .. with only exception of NSX.

Don't buy Fram though. Honda oem filter is one of the best.

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
I bought a case (12) of NAPA Gold filters. Pretty well reviewed and haven't had a problem. I've also used WIX with my '05 Accord for ~100,000 miles without any issues.

Bunhyung

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CBP ST
Don't buy Fram though. Honda oem filter is one of the best.
[/QUOTE]
This would be great advice but Honda's current OEM oil filter, 5400-PLM-A02, is made by Honeywell/Fram. It is widely considered to be a poor filter.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@cryptolime @Bunhyung
Do you have links to info (preferably actual test results) regarding Honda oil filters being poor quality? Honda A01 filters, for a very long time, were essentially the same as Mobil 1. I think the only difference was the Honda filters had a slightly different anti-drainback valve iirc. I’m curious why Honda would use a lower quality filter than they used to.

Last edited:

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
***** Top Tier BEST, Grade A+ = Excellent
Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) # CM-6731-FL820
Ford Motorcraft # FL-820S
Ford Motorcraft # FL-500S
**** Grade A- = Excellent
Wix # 51348 (Older Standard version)
Mopar # MO-409
**** Grade B = Good
WIX# 51348 (Newer current 2020 Standard Version, with no change to the part number) Its grade dropped here because of lower quality control, which resulted in the filter media not being well glued to the end caps at all locations. And with all things considered, it only has this grade, “IF” it has the desirable upper bypass valve design as evaluated here.
Purolator Pure One # PL12222
Purolator Classic # L 12222
Purolator Synthetic # PSL 12222
Purolator Boss # PBL 12222
Bosch Premium # 3334
Bosch Distance Plus # D 3334
Mobil 1 Extended Performance # M1-113 (Older Version)
Royal Purple Superior Protection Extended Life # 10-48 (Older Version)
K&N Performance Gold # HP-1017 (Older Version)
***** Grade C = Fair
Nissan # 15208-65FOE, its unacceptably small size lowered its grade
Fram Ultra # XG10060
AC Delco Professional # PF48
Amsoil # EA15K50
Baldwin # B7422
Mobil 1 Extended Performance # M1-113A (Newer Current Version in 2020. A running change was made, and they changed the part number to reflect that by adding an “A”)
K&N Performance Gold # HP-1017 (Newer Current Version in 2020. A running change was made without changing the part number.)
WIX # 51348″XP” (Newer current 2020 Premium Version with synthetic filter media and with “XP” included in the part number)
***** Grade C- = Fair
Lamborghini OEM UFI # 07M115561B
***** Bottom Tier WORST, Grade D = Poor
These low quality oil filters are NOT recommended since their poor design and poor construction makes them “just good enough” to get by. The FAR BETTER oil filters graded A or B above, “ARE” recommended, and are readily available at comparable prices.
AC Delco Professional # PF46E
STP # S10060
Fram Tough Guard # TG3387A
Fram Extra Guard # PH10060
Honda # 15400-PLM-A02
Subaru # 15208AA15A
Hyundai # 26300 35504
Toyota # 90915-YZZD1
Champion # COS10575
***** Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE, Grade F = Failed
Royal Purple Superior Protection Extended Life # 10-47 (Newer Current Version in 2020. A running change was made without changing the part number.) The design of this cheapened oil filter is so bad, that I would NOT put it on one of my own engines, even if they paid me to do it. BUYER BEWARE!!!
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

• Honda # 15400-PLM-A02
Made in the U.S.A.
Outer casing wall thickness = .016″
This filter holds about .3 of a quart of oil.
Its filter media provides fairly reasonable 101 square inches of filtering surface area.
According to the Honda Dealer who sold this oil filter, it fits all their models except the S2000. This filter didn’t even come in a box, it only had plastic wrap on it. Its filter media end caps are unbelievably cheap “CARDBOARD”, NOT metal as is normally used in quality oil filters. Cardboard has no business being inside any engine component. On top of that, the media had some areas that were NOT well glued to those end caps. And to add insult to injury, this filter has a cheap plastic bypass valve assembly, located at the bottom of the filter, where debris could enter the engine every time the bypass valve opens. If all that is not bad enough, the filter media was NOT sealed at the bottom. It just sits on a metal spring plate, so dirty oil could possibly get past that joint and into the engine without being filtered. Other than having a slightly smaller diameter, this filter is virtually identical to a Fram Extra Guard filter, but with Honda blue paint and label on it. Overall, this is among the LOWEST quality designed and constructed oil filters I have seen.
Honda Motor Company was once respected for its excellent Engineering and Manufacturing. But, this oil filter shows how far it has gone in the name of cost cutting and profit maximizing. This filter cost $12.00 at the Honda Dealer, but you could buy a different brand of oil filter that is FAR BETTER, for half the price.
i'd probably go with a Purolator or Bosch filter with Quaker State synthetic oil (ranked one of the best oils, even better than Amsoil with his testing method which really shocked me. never really thought of Quaker State as a premium brand)

Last edited:

ayospoonay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 PWP Si
Honda's OEM filters are actually pretty bad from testing i've seen.
If it is that bad then why does Honda continue to supply dealers with thousands daily for services across their whole line of vehicles?

I'd stick with OEM filter over an aftermarket.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, as Honda has been using these filters for many years now (+ the maintenance minder) I think we’d hear about widespread engine failures if the OEM oil filter doesn’t provide excellent protection for Honda engines.

Maybe if you live somewhere super dusty or if you want to do extended oil changes or if you want to run your car without an air filter LOL, then sure, get an oil filter that’s designed to handle those situations better.

Last edited:

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
Yeah, as Honda has been using these filters for many years now (+ the maintenance minder) I think we’d hear about widespread engine failures if the OEM oil filter doesn’t provide excellent protection for Honda engines.

Maybe if you live somewhere super dusty or if you want to do extended oil changes or if you want to run your car without an air filter LOL, then sure, get an oil filter that’s designed to handle those situations better.
guess you guys didn't even read the testing i posted

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@cryptolime Have you read it in its entirety? LOL! It is long and wordy with a lot of rambling…though there is some good info, for sure.

Thanks for posting the key info so folks don’t need to dig for it. So what is it about the Honda PLM A02 that isn’t good? I understand there are filters that are built better including Honda’s PLM A01 filter, BUT if the filter performs as intended and people are changing their oil every ~5k miles or less…I’m not sure that the construction matters (assuming it is filtering as it is supposed to and the filter doesn’t disintegrate).

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
haha, yea the site is awful. just one page of rambling data. i just searched for key words but his blog is popular on other car forums, which is how i found it. i'm sure the honda filter is fine but there could be better options. I used toyota only filters on my Tacoma thinking they were the best and he rated them poorly...lol. my engine was fine.

from what i understand the bypass valve isn't sealed very well and it uses a lot of cardboard which other filters don't use. it probably still filters okay but the materials aren't the best. not sure if he tested the current Honeywell-manufactured filters or someone else.
Sponsored