• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

One Week of Ownership

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2022 Civic Touring Sedan
Any issues on the top of the hood? Like rock chips? I heard that the paint on the hood is extremely thin compared to the 10th gen
Not yet but the last gen chipped easy as it was so I am strongly considering a PPF on the hood. I had it ceramic coated before delivery but I know that this doesn't defend against rock chips like a PPF will.
Sponsored

alic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Thanks for the detailed review! I have a couple questions:

What’s full open trunk? Do you mean the opening of the trunk is bigger? I've recently used my CivicX to load some renovation waste, and man I wish the opening is just a tad wider.

It's great to hear the that the tires are better. I could easily slip the front and/or wheel when turning on dry pavement, and I wasn't even been too aggressive, only at around 30-40kph. It's a nightmare when the road is even slightly wet. What brand and model are the stock tires on touring? I can't wait to ditch the garbage Firestone F140.

Was the lane keep assistance in CivicX good? I tried it a couple times during the day, sometimes it works and sometimes it flat out drives into oncoming traffic. Does ACC have to be on for lane keeping to work?

It's great to hear that it has higher ground clearance. I came from an SUV and I would need new bumper every month if I drove like before. I used to treat curbs as small speed bumps and now I need to treat speed bumps as walls.

I never thought I'd buy a CivicX due to its aggressive exterior. But I was totally sold on the interior when comparing it to Corolla. And I've started to like the exterior since I had it. The XI definitely looks less unique but not horrible IMO.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s full open trunk? Do you mean the opening of the trunk is bigger? I've recently used my CivicX to load some renovation waste, and man I wish the opening is just a tad wider.
My rifle case would not fit in the trunk opening on my X. There is no question about it fitting now. Comically, my old Gen7 Civic had better entry for long objects than the GenX. Barely but it did.

It's great to hear the that the tires are better.
Well, the setup combined with the width of tire (Unchanged from the GenX Touring) is far more grippy and sticky than anything I have experienced before in a Civic. They are shipping the XI Tourings with Good Years that are fine but I would have been far happier if it came with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 instead.

Was the lane keep assistance in CivicX good? I tried it a couple times during the day, sometimes it works and sometimes it flat out drives into oncoming traffic.
I found that it and our 2020 CRV that uses the same general system, was plenty good overall. It was more able to stay in the lane like a Tesla but was not good with sharper turns or if the lines were ambiguous to it. The most comical example is in states or provinces where there are no hashes along where a highway on or off ramp is but just open blacktop, the 2017 and our 2020 CRV will just try to exit the highway! I haven't had a chance to see what the new XI will do yet. All the highway ramps in New Brunswick have a hash line on the mouth of the ramps.

But as I think I noted, the LKAS in the XI is an assist for real. It will NOT aggressively follow the road lines. And I am fine with that. It was just a bit surprising to see it was less aggressive than in the previous generation.

Does ACC have to be on for lane keeping to work?
No. You can be in charge of the throttle and use the lane keeping.

The XI definitely looks less unique but not horrible IMO.
This is a pretty accurate assessment. Not truly ugly. Just unremarkable. Very much an Accord with a different badge.

jimmybean123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchvback Sport
Did you read what I wrote? Did you see that I had a 2.0NA before? Did you notice that I am from Canada where the ONLY trim after 2017 with a turbo was the Touring and Si? And that this continues even into the 2022 MY?
Yes, you wrote " It is better in every way over the GenX. " This is false, in general. Did you notice that many other people live in the US where 1.5L engine was available for years now? The 1.5L engine in Gen 11 is a much weaker version of the 1.5L in Gen 10. Paint is thinner. Some minor things having to do with cable management are also not better. You are wrong. Again... lol

alic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Yes, you wrote " It is better in every way over the GenX. " This is false, in general. Did you notice that many other people live in the US where 1.5L engine was available for years now? The 1.5L engine in Gen 11 is a much weaker version of the 1.5L in Gen 10. Paint is thinner. Some minor things having to do with cable management are also not better. You are wrong. Again... lol
Look, OP had a NA 2.0 GenX and that's all he had experience with. He didn't have a 1.5T so regardless how much better it was or how many people owned it, it's irrelevant to his experience. If you had a 1.5T, that's great. You don't have to nitpick on OP's lack of experience with it. Unless you are willing to travel back in time and pay for his upgrade, lol.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you wrote " It is better in every way over the GenX. " This is false, in general.
Perhaps hyperbole. However, when all weighted, the GenXI is indeed overall FAR better than the GenX. Subjective elements such as if you like how it looks or not are just that, subjective. MY review is MY review. I came from a 2017 EX with Sensing. My review is based on this and if you can't come to terms with this, then you are apparently just a troll.

Did you notice that many other people live in the US where 1.5L engine was available for years now?
Did you notice that America is not the only place on earth? And where did I say that the 1.5T was not available in Canada? It was restricted to the Touring Sedan and the hatchbacks for most of the run in Canada. Freaking read a little Mr. Picky.

The 1.5L engine in Gen 11 is a much weaker version of the 1.5L in Gen 10.
Now you want to talk about patently false info? This is it. The engine in the XI is indeed more powerful. The ratings from Honda are at the crank and don't account for transmission tuning, weight of the vehicle and further specific tuning of the engine throttle response. This has resulted in a MINOR loss in 0-60 times. If you are focusing exclusively on this, you are already starting from a position of irrelevance. This is NOT an Si or a Type R. This is a Touring trim of the Civic, that in every way that matters, lives up to the badge for this class of car.

Paint is thinner.
This is being claimed but ONE car is a data POINT, it is not a dataset or a statistical representation. The GenX was notorious for paint chipping so who cares about thickness if it doesn't chip (People not paying attention to how to lift the wiper arms on their new car does not count. Not to be mean to those that have done it, but that was a spectacularly foolish thing to do without looking and going "Whoa bud, I should see how to do this safer"). We CAN'T know if either the thickness or the chipping issue is or is not real without both a proper sample size AND a significant amount of use and experience with the cars.

Some minor things having to do with cable management are also not better. You are wrong. Again... lol
I, myself, pointed out that the center console was a mess in at least that I would not have done it this way. So was the old one. But you know what? It is STILL better than the old one overall. USBs are easier to access and the tray where the charger pad is, is far larger and easier to use than in the old X and is actually captured so that your phone won't go flying all over the place if you corner hard or accelerate briskly (An issue I frequently had in the old X)

I should also point out that it seems that this forum is the first place you have been in the Civic#.com series of forums. You are not making much of a good name for yourself. If you are here to just be a troll, you will simply get put on block lists. I don't have the time or patience beyond this last post directed at you. I'll just dump you into forum oblivion.

I had one full on brain fart of a childish reaction on civicx.com but I was a big enough guy to have the post deleted as it was an uncalled for lashing out. If you are serious about being here, I would say you need to grow up. But you do you and I will indeed do me.

Red

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Touring; 2020 KIA Sportage;
So a week and almost 800 KM in and here is my short term ownership feeling on the new 2022.

Thanks!
Great review. I've owned my Touring now for about 2 months/2000 miles and I agree with most of your assessment. I too owned a GenX EXL (2020) that was a very nice car, but was so impressed with the 2022 that I traded. I like the new look. The 1.5 feels about the same to me but I definitely notice an improvement in the CVT. I don't care about 0-60, the car is plenty fast enough. You were spot on about this car handling like on rails but I did end up swapping the UHP Goodyear's for a softer and quieter Bridgestone Quiettrack tire which did improve things tremendously. I'm glad to have my sunglass compartment back (funny how we miss the little things) but I liked the Sport mode in the shifter of the old car verses the toggle switch. I absolutely HATE the Auto On/OFF and turn it off every time. The Bose stereo won't win any contests but is a great improvement over the old system. Overall I'm very pleased. I end up trading every few years but who knows, I might keep this one.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
:crazy:

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX
The 1.5L in the new one put out 180HP. Same as the Gen10 sport. So not sure where you seeing that is "much weaker."

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Great review I admit I'm pleasantly surprised I kinda thought Gen 11 was going to be a dud. This review is also a reminder to me to make sure to stick with the turbo no matter what. In my case I'm prohibited from driving a CVT so I'm putting the Civic Hatchback manual back on my short shopping list. Thanks!

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my case I'm prohibited from driving a CVT so I'm putting the Civic Hatchback manual back on my short shopping list.
I would like having a manual but I am the only "drivers driver" in my house so it isn't a good choice.

I think I would have liked to have the new hatchback but the timing of the accident and the availability of the hatchbacks didn't work for us.

Bryan Ex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, F150, Tucson
Thanks for posting your review. I for one appreciate the time and thought that goes into doing that. I also drive a 2017 EX with 250K on it currently, also a Canadian driver, and recently compared a new 2021 right beside a new 2022. There were things I liked better from either generation so it wasn't a "have to have it" or "can't stand it" type choice. My main concern is the lower milk crate style lower grill. I want to wait until next year to see if it survives pushing your way out of a parking lot after the snow plow goes by given it's all plastic with not a lot of reinforcement.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to wait until next year to see if it survives pushing your way out of a parking lot after the snow plow goes by given it's all plastic with not a lot of reinforcement.
HA! I'll make it a point to update on just that :p

On the upside, the sort of splitter that is at the bottom of the grille at least acts as a form of extra structure.