• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shift feel improvements for FL5 via refined shift gate shape

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
Did anyone see this note in the info packet? They specifically refined the shift gate to make shifting smoother and reduce hangups. See the change in the gate shape and them calling out the 5th to 4th transition:

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift feel improvements for FL5 via refined shift gate shape Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 11.21.53 AM

All the Youtubers call out the fake air curtain vents, but the fake vents are actually an aero device to add a low pressure zone next to the wheel well to evacuate air and reduce lift:

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift feel improvements for FL5 via refined shift gate shape Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 11.39.11 AM

It's not that different from the vertical gurney flap that GM added to the C6 Z06/ZR1 Corvette's front fender edge. (See the black plastic edge at the front of the wheel well.)
11th Gen Honda Civic Shift feel improvements for FL5 via refined shift gate shape Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 11.43.35 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Thank you for that...

It was slightly confusing. Some YouTubers said it was fake and maybe one or two pointed out that Honda said it was functional but really did not give specifics beyond it.

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So I would assume that going with aftermarket wheels with a different offset would reduce the low pressure zone?

OP
OP
Gansan

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I would assume that going with aftermarket wheels with a different offset would reduce the low pressure zone?
Yes, but I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You could always add a splitter or put dive planes to make up for it.

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
@Gansan apologies if I’m just not seeing it, but where is this info packet you speak of? Very curious about the details!

OP
OP
Gansan

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Gansan

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slightly different thing... in this video:

There is some good info there:

• The engineer acknowledged they heard about the overheating and they improved the cooling to address the issue. He said they put a lot of sweat into it. (I think we'll have to see how it goes in the real world.)
  • The flywheel was already single mass but has been lightened 25%. The new one has a more sculpted out back side and the little blocks around the edge are smaller.
  • The engineer says explicitly when you shift diagonally through the H pattern there were spots in the corners where you can get hung up and they worked on improving that.
  • The Michelin guy said the H0 version of the PS4S is co-developed with Honda and not the same as the standard 4S. They changed the angles of the belts and carcass to better work with FF cars, where the tire must cope with pulling and cornering at the same time. Most other applications of the 265 wide PS4S are FR or MR, so the tires' job is slightly different.
  • The die for molding the tire is different for the H0.
  • The Sport Cup 2 tires they were demoing are also the H0 version with the same carcass tweaks as the PS4S. He called them identical twins.
  • They did tire testing at Suzuka and Tochigi.

Last edited:

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I guess this is the H0 version of the PS4S on the Michelin website, the one with the "HON" in the name? I didn't see it a few weeks ago when I checked, so they must have just added it to the site.

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift feel improvements for FL5 via refined shift gate shape PS4S

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Nice! The Japanese videos have been brutal in terms of translating the details about this car prior to release. Thank you both for sharing!

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
The FL5 continues to look more and more promising.

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do sneakers count if I put wheels on them?
This is really good info right here. I had been sifting through the Japanese material a while ago but the H0 revision tires didn't come up. Hopefully there will be other sizes for those downsizing to 18" but this could be pretty exclusive.

OP
OP
Gansan

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's interesting is the Bridgestone Potenza RE010 tires for the 90s NSX were also called the "H0" version and it had H0 molded on the sidewall. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 M0 is the Mercedes specific version so maybe this is a naming convention.