• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Should I Switch to a Different Tire that may have a Stiffer Sidewall?

Imped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 Golf R, ND2 Miata
If you want to avoid this issue, just get all season tires, not performance low profile tires. With regular all season tires you will have way more rubber so less damage will happen to your rim. That being said, would suck driving this car with plain old all season tires.

but heck that’s some serious damage, go after the city :p
I can absolutely confirm that this car equipped with 18x8.5 Enkei TSV's wrapped in 255/40R18 Continental DWS06+ tires does not suck in the slightest.
Sponsored

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I find it hard to believe that Honda would put such crappy wheel/tire combinations together for sale in the first place! Guess it’s all about money!
WTF are you talking about? Stop driving it on such shitty roads - problem solved.

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
WTF are you talking about? Stop driving it on such shitty roads - problem solved.
If you drove a type R and hit a pot hole you’d be singing a different tune me thinks!

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
Unless this is your second car garage queen, you're bound to come across an unexpected pothole. Or you live in Irvine, CA, some parts of FL, or Dubai.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
I just hit a bad pothole in a parking lot. Punctured the sidewall of my front right tire and very small/minor scratch on wheel. $400+ to replace the tire from Discount Tire today.

OP
OP

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I am surprised that hole managed to cut the sidewall under parking lot speeds.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
I am surprised that hole managed to cut the sidewall under parking lot speeds.
I don't know how and if the pothole cut the tire, but it was a big blow / drop with right wheel into the hole which is deeper than the picture shows. I most definitely said a four letter foul word when I felt the drop. I was going very slow and careful. Hopefully the neighboring establishment can get get fixed and share the cost of damage after I reported it today in person.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
One of the first things I do with all my performance cars that are primarily driven on the pot hole ridden streets of new England is to downsize my wheel size and increase the sidewalls. Depending on how rough the roads that you frequently drive on are, it helps physically plus peace of mind and ride comfort are an added bonus. Worst case scenario, ruining a $300 aftermarket rim isn't as bad as ruining a $5-600(I don't know how much they really are, just assume they're expensive) OEM wheel.

I'm running 18s on 265/35/18 Michelin pilot AS tires and they've definitely been worthwhile for my personal driving environment and style. When I do track the car, I swap on the OEM 19s and it keeps it fun.
Sponsored