• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Slipping clutch?

Mrrobotto555

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11th gen Si
I got a new 2023 Si in June of last year and noticed that after long highway drives (at least 1-2 hours or more) the clutch feels like it doesn't grab the same, like it got too hot. At first I thought I was doing something wrong but this last trip I wanted to test my theory so I left super early in the morning when there's almost no cars on the road. I got on the highway making sure to time my shifting/clutch perfectly. Got in the slow lane and cruised at a constant 75mph the entire drive (3 hours) in 6th @ about 2800rpm with very little change in throttle input (cruise control off). Exited the highway, arrived at the first stop light, put it in first and when engaging the clutch the bite point is non existent anymore. Because I know from memory where the bite point is I hold the pedal there to get the car going and go through the gears normally as I accelerate. I am able to reach the same speed in each gear that I normally would during street driving but it feels wrong. It feels like the clutch got too hot. No burning smells, rpm does not surge when accelerating through the gears. Just the feeling of the clutch grabbing is gone. After parking the car and letting it sit for a few hours it feels normal again. The car is completely stock and has 7800 miles on it. I do not beat on the car and usually shift around 3k and occasionally 4k on busier/higher speed roads and cruise at about 2k-2500 rpm once I reach cruising speed depending on if I'm in 4th or 5th. I downshift when passing and don't accelerate hard. I build boost slowly and only start to put my foot down more around 3k.

Has anyone experienced something similar?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
If you want to test for a slipping clutch, put the car in sixth gear at about 70 mph and mat the throttle. If the RPMs jump and the car doesn’t surge forward (like free revving), your clutch is slipping.

You’re never going to feel it in normal driving in low gears unless the clutch doesn’t even have enough material to move the car.

I test drove a 2017 Si many years ago, and the clutch slipped on the highway stock with 20 miles on the odometer in normal passing throttle in 6th gear. But I wouldn’t say that this behavior is exactly common.